• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Japanese fans are sick of body swapping the most? I don't think that type of "trope" or whatever appears more than getting transported to another world or time travel, right?

Japanese fans are sick of body swapping the most? I don't think that type of "trope" or whatever appears more than getting transported to another world or time travel, right?

Body swapping is one of the oldest plots out there, and has appeared in hundreds of shows at some point or another.

Body swapping is one of the oldest plots out there, and has appeared in hundreds of shows at some point or another.

Is it really still super popular though? We still get the average LN harem show every other season, but I can't remember all that many body swapping shows from the last few years. At least not that I'm aware of.

Branduil

Amagami 9-12

11.jpg
12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg

The less said about this dumb arc the better.

Is it really still super popular though? We still get the average LN harem show every other season, but I can't remember all that many body swapping shows from the last few years. At least not that I'm aware of.

I mean, I feel like a lot of shows do a body swap episode at some point or another. It's always the go to idea when the writers don't know what else to do.

duckroll

Miss Bernard Said - Episode 1-6

This is like watching 3 minute slices of incredibly dense hang out sessions between Jexhius, Narag, Dresden, and Unknown Soldier. I think I have brain concussion now.

I mean, I feel like a lot of shows do a body swap episode at some point or another. It's always the go to idea when the writers don't know what else to do.

I mean, I've definitely seen it here and there in one show or another, but not to a degree where it'd be a number 1 despised trope or as a bare-minimum thing for writers to do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am no expert in the current output of Japanese authors, but what I've heard from people who do read a lot of current Japanese books is that their adult fiction tends to have a drier writing style than light novels. Light novels tend to be extremely dialogue heavy, almost exclusively dialogue in some cases, which is perfect for Nisioisin.
Sure, but I mean... David Mamet won a Pulitzer Prize for his writing, and he's basically defined by very precise and crafted dialogue. I assume Aaron Sorkin must have won something as a screenwriter too.

It was prominent in Cocopuffs Connect and that manga/jdrama/anime Yamada and the Seven Witches, but I think the gimmick comedies have basically died down for the most part.

Amagami 9-12

Branduil is here... and watching Amagami for some reason. lol

duckroll

Murakami is probably the most famous contemporary Japanese author and his prose is basically the template for VNs. I don't think Nisio's style is really all that "weird" given that. What sets Nisio apart from "serious authors" is his choice of material and how his works are marketed. Not the way he writes imo.

Blast of Tempest END

This would have been like one of my many 7s show (good) but those last 8-ish episodes were just amazing. From the characters, the story and the battles, everything went up a notch in a direction I liked. That last battle with with the amazing soundtrack playing behind was amazing looking and
Hanamura was one of my favourite character in those last few episode, which totally surprised me considering how meh he was at the start.
the show also had great comedic moments throughout the whole thing, which were all well timed. But what sealed the deal really was the character designs which were all fantastic, Yoshino being my favourite.

The endings were both superior to both openings. I just loved the way they presented the characters more.

Overall it was an awesome show, I greatly enjoyed it. Praise BONES.

Jex

But that's not the point of the epilogue. They could tell more stories in the future, but it was important that the character arcs closed out the way they did. From the very start, the show was about young people finding out what they want in life, what they really want to do after school. It's about the point where a child grows up and discovers actual ambition. The choices they make at the end show them reveal what is most important to each of them.

No, the show was about samurai piloting samurai robots.

Duh.

Kuromukuro's ending is being way oversold here. It was a fine ending, but you're making it sound like it was some exceeding clever subversion. I wouldn't even call it all that surprising.

KraytarJ

So with the Little Witch Academia series around the corner I finally got around to watching Little Witch Academia and Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade and they were both a lot of fun. Maybe not the most original plots but they were both just so jolly and Akko is a treasure. Now I'm all set for the premiere, whenever that is.

Are dubbing companies ever very open about what sort of equipment they use when recording? I'm watching a Sentai dub for the first time in a few years and something about the audio in this seems kind of iffy, might just be poor balancing but it's way too quiet sometimes, and sometimes some characters sound like they're either too far from the mic or have their head in a box...

I know Sentai is pretty low key with their releases sometimes and probably don't have much of a budget (the way they do credits makes that pretty clear, as well as the anime network ad that's in 4:3 and looks like it was made in MS paint) but these are some of the same issues I noticed when I watched Angel Beats a few years ago, I would have thought they'd have gotten a little better about some of this stuff.

I've now finished Sword of the Stranger, Wolf Children, and Howl's Moving Castle. Howl wasn't as good as I remembered when I was a kid, but the other two were pretty good. I should probably finish Konosuba next.

zulux21

Are dubbing companies ever very open about what sort of equipment they use when recording? I'm watching a Sentai dub for the first time in a few years and something about the audio in this seems kind of iffy, might just be poor balancing but it's way too quiet sometimes, and sometimes some characters sound like they're either too far from the mic or have their head in a box...

I know Sentai is pretty low key with their releases sometimes and probably don't have much of a budget (the way they do credits makes that pretty clear, as well as the anime network ad that's in 4:3 and looks like it was made in MS paint) but these are some of the same issues I noticed when I watched Angel Beats a few years ago, I would have thought they'd have gotten a little better about some of this stuff.

sadly a lot of stuff is kept hidden.
though given that miraculous ladybug shares a ton of voice actors with seven deadly sins I imagine they use the same studio (which is what aniplex uses but I don't know about sentai)

which they showed some of the equipment in a clip a while back
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4hYCkDcV0/

I don't recall more off the top of my head :p

Line_HTX

Amagami 9-12

I think they wanted an excuse for Nakata Jouji to be a narrator in this arc.

To be honest, I didn't really pay much attention to Sae and Rihoko's arc. I just stared at the screen until it was over and I moved on.

Branduil is here... and watching Amagami for some reason. lol

His Twitter this past week or so has been full of Amagami screens, haha. Now I'm just waiting for his SS Plus screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom