• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Snob Makes Ridiculous 360 HDMI Claim!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is my new Girlfriend:

VSX74TXVi.jpg

She is a Pioneer Elite VSX74TXVi receiver. She converts any analog video input to HDMI. Upscans any source, including my efette future Revolution, to 720p while she's down there. She will blow my iPod through USB 2.0 OR a custom iPod port. She will be taking the intimidating length of Component video and digital audio from my 360, turning it into sweet HDMI lubricant and making sure I am very, very satisfied.

She is THX certified. She has more available ports than downtown Amsterdam. She comes in black or silver. She can talk to my Tivo and my XM satellite radio.

She ain't cheap. She won't "do" DRM. But she's beautiful. And she's mine.

PS., she will even do tricks for my PS3 when she shows up.

PPS., she will even swallow firewire.

Stinkles

You can save a gang of cash and get the non "Elite" version but you lose USB, firewire support. But seriously, HDMI fans NEED apply. Native or convert.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
272584179VSX-74TXVi_Rear_150.jpg

272584179VSX-74TXVi_Front_150.jpg

This is not a flagship reciever but it sure acts like one....

THX Select Certification and the HDMI transcoding are the deal sealer for the Pioneer Elite...

Two natural competitors would be the Denon AVR-4806 and the Denon AVR-4306....

The 4806 has THX certification but has a $3500 MSRP (compared to the Pioneer Elite's $1700 MSRP) and the 4306 is more in the Elites price range but no THX certs and no HDMI transcoding....

Best of all, you can buy a VSX74TXVi receiver for about a thousand bucks...

You are getting alot of reciever for that price...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Kleegamefan said:
272584179VSX-74TXVi_Rear_150.jpg

272584179VSX-74TXVi_Front_150.jpg

This is not a flagship reciever but it sure acts like one....

THX Select Certification and the HDMI transcoding are the deal sealer for the Pioneer Elite...

Two natural competitors would be the Denon AVR-4806 and the Denon AVR-4306....

The 4806 has THX certification but has a $3500 MSRP (compared to the Pioneer Elite's $1700 MSRP) and the 4306 is more in the Elites price range($1999 MSRP) but no THX certs and no HDMI transcoding....

Best of all, you can buy a VSX74TXVi receiver for about a thousand bucks...

You are getting alot of reciever for that price...

Read more about this fine reciever here:

http://plasma.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_272584179,00.html

Stinkles

Just to clarify what a sick, crazy bitch she is you should know that I can play my Tree Sitty in 720p through HDMI, while I control this very receiver, in my PIP window, on the same TV.

Interest in VSX74TXVi... rising...

Although my four year old Onkyo 595 is still doing me just fine; I guess it's the sick affliction called upgradeitis.

tetsuoxb

The Pioneer Receiver that just pwned Stinkles said:
2 (HDMI connection may not allow transmission of copyright protected material depending on the capability of the signal source)

HAHAHAHAHA! You bought a non-HDCP compliant receiver!

The joke is going to be on you come Blu-ray time.

EDIT: HDCP Compliance confirmed... good buy.

tetsuoxb

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30.php

vp30-rearview-3600.jpg

Doesn't do sound... but what it will do is upscale any source to 1080p.

Tack this badboy onto my lovely Sharp LC-45GD1 LCD panel via an HDMI->DVI cable and boom, high end 1080p input capable.

Hey Klee, did you know that the 65in Sharp also has the external AVC, so you can bypass it and do 1080p inputs from the DVDO?

tetsuoxb said:
HAHAHAHAHA! You bought a non-HDCP compliant receiver!

The joke is going to be on you come Blu-ray time.

It's more likely they're referring to passing DVD-A/SACD over HDMI. I'm pretty sure it's HDCP compliant.

Flo_Evans

you could always run the audio through optical to the reciever and HDMI strait to the TV for blu-ray... but you may run into audio sync problems depending on how fast the TV or reciever proccess thier signals..

sweet reciever but I want a DRM one as much as it sucks ; ;

oBa

After doing some research on this receiver, I read this quote on AVS forum. Can somebody clarify the upconverting or lack of upconverting for me?

I just received my Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV and have had issue with two things. One is the fact that the OSD will not work with HDMI. It seems to work fine with Componenet. However, it is inconvenient to swith back and forth.

The other issue is the ability to upconvert Composite and S Video signals to HDMI. The specs published by Pioneer seemed to be clear that this was possible. However, when I called Pioneer they said that my video device (in my case a Panasonic AE700U) had to be able to accept 480i with HDMI. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone else had this issue?
------------------------

Your first question was answered in this thread awhile ago. Basically, the OSD outputs only 480i, and since the AE700 doesn't accept 480i over HDMI, you have to use component. It sucks (I'm the one who asked teh question originally ), but ther's nothing you can really do.

Regarding the second question, it's my understanding that the receiver isn't upconverting anything - it's simply transcoding it (ie: changing it from input A to input B). Therefore, it's sending a 480i signal over the HDMI cable, same as with the OSD. Since the pj doesn't support that, you have to use component video.

Now I'm not sure if the receiver transcodes from composite/s-video to component. Someone else might be able to answer that.
CW

So whats the deal? Does it not actually upconvert the signal? Or am I misinterpreting the reply answer?

Flo_Evans

yeah it sounds like it just passes the signal through HDMI, no res conversion... not bad for the x360, but no rev scaler for joo.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Let me show you my two lovely Ladies:

stageone_7_large.jpg

She is an Aragon Stage One THX Ultra 2 certified Processor

She has Blue LED back lighting that accentuates her chiseled features and she has 16 of the finest hand picked Burr-Brown 24-bit/192Khz Digital-to-Analog converters for digital sound quality suitable for even the most discerning audiophile:

Here is her sister the Model 2007 THX Ultra 2 certified seven channel amplifier:

2007_large.jpg

2007 also has Blue LED lighting, like her sister but is the brawn to complement her sisters brains..

2007_4_large.jpg

2007_5_large.jpg

She can deliver 200 watts per channel into 8 ohm loads and 300 watts per channel into 4 ohm loads....she weighs in at nearly 50 pounds, (though she doesn't like to talk about it) and has dual power transformers and one amplifier circuit board per channel and is a Toroidal amplifier...

Stinkles

oBa said:
After doing some research on this receiver, I read this quote on AVS forum. Can somebody clarify the upconverting or lack of upconverting for me?

So whats the deal? Does it not actually upconvert the signal? Or am I misinterpreting the reply answer?

The onscreen can't display in HD reoslutions - that is the on-TV controls for the system itself.

tetsuoxb

Miroku said:
Then what are the audio in/outs on the right side for?

Passthrough. It does not decode audio signals. It is purely a video processor... ill probably buy it early next year, unless it turns out PS3 will let you use regular HDMI->DVI cables, and then I will just buy an HDCP compliant DVI switcher to place between my Sharp AVC and the panel.

Japanese TV wont be supporting 1080p anytime soon, so the PS3 will be my only 1080p source... But if I can find a good reason, or am forced into one, that DVDO is mine!

Stinkles

Flo_Evans said:
you could always run the audio through optical to the reciever and HDMI strait to the TV for blu-ray... but you may run into audio sync problems depending on how fast the TV or reciever proccess thier signals..

sweet reciever but I want a DRM one as much as it sucks ; ;

It will pass through DRM - just can't ADD it to non DRM stuff.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Error Macro, the Elite has Firewire/iLink ins so a DVD-A/SACD player could pass audio digitally to the Elite via firewire outs and the reciever would perform bass management in the digital domain......nice feature :)

oBa, IIRC the Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV does indeed upconvert video to HDMI:

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/PioneerEliteVSX72TXVreceiv.php

What they are talking about is the fact you cannot overlay the on screen display (OSD) on a 480i signal and his projector will not see a 480i signal via HDMI....so any audio adjustments to the reciever (soundfields DSP effects, input switching, decoding options, etc) will have to be viewed on the tiny dot-matrix display on the reciever itself and not the big ass TV because the reciever will not send that data digitally through the HDMI @ 480i resolution....

A slight inconvienence but no biggie :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
GhaleonEB said:
Just wondering - was this the original thread title?

Yes....

FloEvans, $1700 is just the MSRP of the VSX74TXVi...the actual street price is between $1000-1100

Google it up and you'll see :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
For those on smaller budgets, you may want to stop by the JVC website:

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=468&pageID=1

TWO NEW JVC AV RECEIVERS OFFER HDMI UP-CONVERSION

Faroudja deinterlacing and USB inputs in $500 and $800 units.

INDIANAPOLIS, September 9, 2005 – JVC is now delivering two new audio/video receivers that offer the convenience and performance of HDMI up-conversion. The two receivers, the $500 RX-D401S/D402B and $800 RX-D702B, also feature USB inputs for streaming audio from a PC and JVC’s Hybrid Feedback digital amplifier technology.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is a digital audio/video interface that allows a single cable to carry uncompressed audio and video signals in digital form, offering high quality signal transmission plus the simplicity of a single connection. With HDMI-equipped source components, such as a DVD player or cable/satellite box, just one cable connects the component to the JVC receiver. On the output side, a single HDMI cable connects the receiver to the display.

To ensure the best possible video signal, regardless of the source, both the RX-D401S/D402B (S = silver; B = black) and the RX-D702B up-convert composite, S-Video and component signals to HDMI. Handling the HDMI up-conversion is a Genesis deinterlacer that incorporates DCDi® (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) technology from Faroudja. Both receivers include two HDMI inputs and one output.

Both new JVC receivers also feature a USB connection that allows music to be sent from a PC to the receiver for playback. The connection is wireless on the RX-D702B, using the 2.4GHz band to transmit uncompressed signals over a range of approximately 100 feet. The receiver comes with a transmitter that plugs into the computer’s USB input. Interference from other devices is automatically detected by the transmitter and an interference-free band is automatically selected.

To deliver the best possible sound quality when playing compressed audio files, JVC receivers feature the company’s exclusive CC Converter, which uses advanced digital signal processing to improve the quality of these files. The CC Converter computes the data that was lost during the digital-to-analog conversion and recreates the original signal.

JVC’s entire receiver line features the company’s Hybrid Feedback digital amplifier that is compact, highly efficient and able to generate high power output with low distortion levels. This technology uses two digital feedback loops to generate a precise signal and two analog feedback loops to ensure that the final signal is identical to the original. It is this digital amplifier technology that allows JVC’s receivers to be significantly lower in profile than traditional receivers.

Both receivers are 7.1-channel units and deliver a wide soundfield from various sources. The units include nearly all available audio codecs, including Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS NEO:6, DTS 96/24, and Dolby Pro Logic IIx. Additionally, JVC’s digital audio processor can create a full range of soundfields from multichannel sources. The receivers also feature JVC’s Quick Speaker Setup, a fast, easy way to set the receiver for the user’s specific speaker set-up. The RX-D702B comes with Smart Surround Setup Version 3.0 – with just a handclap the unit automatically sets up an ideal multi-channel soundfield by optimizing speaker delay times and levels for the listening position. Another new JVC feature is Center Channel Alignment – DSP (digital signal processing) technology that compensates for placement of the center channel speaker either above or below the display, shifting the apparent source of the dialog to the screen.

The RX-D401S/402B is rated at 110 watts for each of its seven channels. The RX-D702B is rated at 150 watts per channel.

JVC also offers the RX-D301S/302B, similar to the RX-D401S/402B but without HDMI interfaces. It does, however, offer video up-conversion from composite to S-Video and component, and from S-Video to component.

The RX-D401S/402B and RX-D702B will be available next month and sell for about $500 and $800, respectively. The RX-D301S/302B is available immediately and sells for about $400.

About JVC Company of America
JVC Company of America, headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, is a division of JVC Americas Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Victor Company of Japan Ltd., and a holding company for JVC companies located in North and South America. JVC distributes a complete line of video and audio equipment, including high definition displays, camcorders, VCRs, D-VHS recorders, DVD players and recorders, satellite systems, home and portable audio equipment, mobile entertainment products and recording media. For further product information, visit JVC's Web site at http://www.jvc.com or call 800-526-5308.

No fancy THX certs but both the RX-D4xx and the RX-D7xx will upconvert to HDMI...

Moreover, they are both digitally amplified recievers, have usb connectivity (wireless in the case of the RX-D7xx) *and* have built in Faroudja scaler/deinterlacers!!

Best of all, they are pretty cheap for what you get!!!...

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Nao=20&Ns=Mfr_Name&N=10946

JandR is selling the RX-402B for $400 and you can find a RX-702B for about $600 if you look around :)

JRPereira

oh em gee! I don't know or understand half of what those do but looking at that fine ass I need to do clean the keyboard and mouse. Where's that splooge animation when you need it.

tetsuoxb

Ok.... here is the question I'd like to know... what receivers other than the DVDO video hubs do 1080p upconversion and have HDMI out?

Bebpo

Banned
I still find it ridiculous how $3000+ receivers only allow two or three component inputs max. When you're paying that kind of money why shuold they force you to buy a switchbox and slightly degrade the quality of the video or have to go to the back and switch the plugs all the time.

I mean hell, I'm not even routing my dvd player as I just go HDMI to the tv and I still have too much for my reciever with 2 inputs:

--PS2
--Xbox
--GC
--Soon Xbox360
--PC out -> TV
--HDTV Cable box

That's six sets of component cables and then 2 HDMI's after the PS3 comes out (and I guess a seventh component set for Rev).

Is it too much to ask for a reciever that accepts at least five component inputs!? :(

seanoff

Bebpo, how is your XBR going.

Digital Cable should look stunning. Anything broadcast in 1080i on mine looks smoking

oBa

I just emailed Pioneer Customer support, and according to them, the receiver does NOT upconvert anything, it just passes the signal through.

Here is my email, and their repsone:

Hello, I had a question about the Pioneer Elite VSX74TXVi and its upconversion through HDMI. I was wondering if it actually upconverts 480i, 480p signals to 1080i or if it just passes them through at 480i through HDMI?

customer.support@pioneerservice.com to me

It just passes the signal through, it does not upconvert.

Top Bottom