• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2: First look at sequel's next generation cast.

One thing I know about white audiences, they can relate more to blue cat people than humans with darker skin than them
The truth is you are free to mentally substitute green or blue skin with yours, but internalized racism prevent you to do the same with the other human colors.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The truth is you are free to mentally substitute green or blue skin with yours, but internalized racism prevent you to do the same with the other human colors.

Kind of reminds me how Zoe Saldana's most iconic roles on film so far have been the roles of a blue-skinned alien and a green-skinned alien.

Looking forward to her red alien in the years to come.

SirNinja

The most impressive thing about any sequel to Avatar will always be the fact that it took over a decade to get off the ground, despite the original film making approximately all the money.

Like, seriously, this franchise should have been beaten into the ground years ago. By now, we should be talking about how the series started to lose its way around Avatar 4 before it really jumped the shark with that one idiotic plot point from Avatar 7, but also how hopes are surprisingly high for the upcoming Avatar 9.

jett

D-Member
The most impressive thing about any sequel to Avatar will always be the fact that it took over a decade to get off the ground, despite the original film making approximately all the money.

Like, seriously, this franchise should have been beaten into the ground years ago. By now, we should be talking about how the series started to lose its way around Avatar 4 before it really jumped the shark with that one idiotic plot point from Avatar 7, but also how hopes are surprisingly high for the upcoming Avatar 9.

James Cameron does what James Cameron wants.

James Cameron does what James Cameron wants.
Any other director and a sequel would have been shit out within 2-3 years of the original film by the studio to make a date.

Im reminded of that New Yorker article from years back.

Cameron reserves a special quotient of his anger for suits who get in his way. “Tell your friend he’s getting fucked in the ass, and if he would stop squirming it wouldn’t hurt so much” was the message he once told a Fox producer to deliver to an executive at the studio.

jett

D-Member
Any other director and a sequel would have been shit out within 2-3 years of the original film by the studio to make a date.

Im reminded of that New Yorker article from years back.

Right, it's only because Cameron has total control of this IP that that hasn't happened.

I've read that quote before but it's never not amazing.

Right, it's only because Cameron has total control of this IP that that hasn't happened.

It really is insane how much pull he has. It's not just that he's telling FOX of all studios to wait to capitalise on an easy money-maker, it's that he's made them wait a decade-plus to make a sequel to the greatest of all money-makers.

No other director has that much pull over one of the majors.

gamz

It really is insane how much pull he has. It's not just that he's telling FOX of all studios to wait to capitalise on an easy money-maker, it's that he's made them wait a decade-plus to make a sequel to the greatest of all money-makers.

No other director has that much pull over one of the majors.

And then dropped on them I'm making 4 movies and, oh yeah, I need a billion to start with.

It's like Cameron is in his own bubble outside of studios and everything else. Does what he wants.

kswiston

And then dropped on them I'm making 4 movies and, oh yeah, I need a billion to start with.

It's like Cameron is in his own bubble outside of studios and everything else. Does what he wants.

The most unusual thing was that they were letting him do 4 at once, untested, but that has changed now. If Avatar 2 pulls an Independence Day Resurgence (not that I think it will), #4 and 5 aren't going to happen.

The $1B combined budget isn't so surprising. Combined production costs of the 4 Avenger films will be well over that, especially before tax breaks.

Disney spent >$1B on Pirates 2-4 and those happened over a decade before the Avatar films.

robotrock

Banned
The most unusual thing was that they were letting him do 4 at once, untested, but that has changed now. If Avatar 2 pulls an Independence Day Resurgence (not that I think it will), #4 and 5 aren't going to happen.

So he's only gonna set out to shoot 2 and 3 right now? I saw that around but it's been confusing me.

I took the quote to possibly that he's only gonna shoot 2 and 3 at the same time, rather than the previous plan which was to shoot all four at the same time. I had assumed he'd move onto 4 and 5 immediately after shooting 2 and 3.

(the previous plan was like shooting scenes from avatar 5 on one weekday and then scenes from avatar 2 the next day. that kind of a thing.)

kswiston

So he's only gonna set out to shoot 2 and 3 right now? I saw that around but it's been confusing me.

I took the quote to possibly that he's only gonna shoot 2 and 3 at the same time, rather than the previous plan which was to shoot all four at the same time. I had assumed he'd move onto 4 and 5 immediately after shooting 2 and 3.

(the previous plan was like shooting scenes from avatar 5 on one weekday and then scenes from avatar 2 the next day. that kind of a thing.)

From what I read, it now sounds like 4 and 5 will shoot after he finishes post production on 3. Which for blockbusters means about 6-8 weeks before release.

Yeah the production timeline now looks like

2017 - early 2018 = shooting Avatar 2/3 and potential 4/5 scenes if necessary (im thinking about Lang's age)

2018 - 2020 = in post production on 2&3

Late 2020/ early 2021= shooting 4&5 while still working on post for A3.

Followed by post and release of 4&5 in 2024 and 2025.

robotrock

Banned
Ah, alright alright. Thanks guys.

I think what confused me is the fact they've already set the budget for 4 and 5 even though it won't be shot until a little bit after Avatar 2's release.

I think the new schedule has been designed mostly because it relieves a bit of the pressure, but also because shooting 4 films worth at once would be unfeasable in terms of cast schedules. Imagine trying to work out Zoe Saldana's schedule.

I'm glad that it allows time for some tech advancement between 3&4.

He wants to do 3D without the need for glasses
He'd like to, sure. But that isn't what he's doing for these films. He's said it will be achievable one day, but all the articles about Cameron introducing glasses-less 3D for these films are total and utter bullshit.

robotrock

Banned
Do we know if he's doing anything nutty yet? Can't remember if 48/60 HFR has been ruled out, but I've been assuming there will be something to try and get people to go to the theater.

Do we know if he's doing anything nutty yet? Can't remember if 48/60 HFR has been ruled out, but I've been assuming there will be something to try and get people to go to the theater.

He's doing HFR. Variable frame rate.

He's gonna show how good HFR can really be.

Top Bottom