• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2: First look at sequel's next generation cast.

jett

D-Member
It doesn't matter if the kids can act or not. Animators will spruce that shit up. I insist that Worthington was somehow more charismatic and likable in CGI form than as an actual human.

mortal

Gold Member
I think people in this thread are vastly over-estimating how much one unknown child actor in a group of seven, as part of a larger cast, would get paid for taking part in a film franchise. I'm sure they'll get a healthy paycheck for doing these films back to back, but it's not like they're guaranteed a share of the box offices sales.

That's beside the point. The common adult can live relatively comfortably with paychecks form a contract like that. I assume, most of these kids probably won't be able to actually spend their money until they're of age.

I'd be living well within my means with that gig lol

I'm sick and tired of how no one on this hell message board takes Avatar seriously.
giphy.gif

lemmykoopa

Sure T2, Aliens, Stranger Things and IT had kids in them and were great but all titles mentioned are also rated R. AFAIK Avatar is rated PG-13 so the mood will definitely be different.

ZeoVGM

Banned
In the past, I have questioned Avatar's impact on pop culture. But it now looks as if I was wrong. Macklemore makes an Avatar reference on his new album.

So, I apologize.

Dead

well not really...yet
In the past, I have questioned Avatar's impact on pop culture. But it now looks as if I was wrong. Macklemore makes an Avatar reference on his new album.

So, I apologize.
SHUT. IT. DOWN.

Seriously though, the cultural impact meme has always reeked of fake criticism with an agenda behind it. It’s not a franchise that was shoved down anyone’s throats. It succeeded through its own merits and then had literally nothing to follow it up for the past 8 years, not even a subsequent JC movie released a few yeare later with massive promotion to remind people.

As the ramp up to the sequel begins, were going to see the same crow eating fest we witnessed back in 2009 and 1997 before that.

zeemumu

Stranger Things?
It?

Yeah but those two were pretty much always about kids from Day 1. At no point do you really watch Avatar and think, "but what would happen if a gang of small children fought these soldiers and robots?" When you do that you get stuff like

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective Jr.

Son of the Mask

The upcoming Fantastic Four movie

Granted Jake from the first movie wasn't exactly interesting.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hopefully the children get killed quickly and brutally so the movie can become an intergalactic revenge flick

I can see them making the movie PG so they can build a Universe with the Younger kids. They did after all just open an Avatar Theme Park at Disney World.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Kind of an insensitive thing to joke about. Andy Serkis has given us so much great work

....hence, the whole point of the joke.

As someone who helped pioneer motion-capture performances in film, Serkis would probably be greatly displeased to hear someone assuming that a motion-capture performance isn't good enough, it can just be "tweaked" by the animators in post-production. Rather notably, he had to debate against such arguments when people were dismissing how much of a role he had to play when performing as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and perhaps as a consequence of such thinking, motion-capture performers continue to go ignored by the vast majority of award committees, such as the Oscars.

Erv

huge fan of the first and I no longer give a shit about these sequels. Maybe james cameron should have pulled his head out of his ass and started filming sooner.

jett

D-Member
....hence, the whole point of the joke.

As someone who helped pioneer motion-capture performances in film, Serkis would probably be greatly displeased to hear someone assuming that a motion-capture performance isn't good enough, it can just be "tweaked" by the animators in post-production. Rather notably, he had to debate against such arguments when people were dismissing how much of a role he had to play when performing as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and perhaps as a consequence of such thinking, motion-capture performers continue to go ignored by the vast majority of award committees, such as the Oscars.

But animators do tweak motion capture. A lot. As far as I know we're still at a point where a basic part of the human anatomy, fingers, are handled entirely by animators.

I was mostly kidding, although I have no doubt that the animators are there to serve the director, not the actors. :p As far as I'm concerned motion capture performances are a collaborative process and awarding just the actor for it is not really fair.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hilarious joke about Andy Serkis having an aneurysm, dude. Personally, I'll keep praying that he's healthy forever and continues to give us that same great industry pushing work that you pretend to appreciate.

...what on earth?

In a response to a comment that some might judge as vaguely dismissive of the intricacies involved in motion capture, I playfully made an intentionally hyperbolic reference to a scenario where Andy Serkis would probably be so appalled by a comment that seemed to handwave over the realities of his profession, he would probably have something akin to a stroke, a knowingly over-dramatic reaction. That's certainly not the same thing as wishing Serkis ill-health, or making light of the relevant actor having suffered from such an illness...which Serkis never has, obviously, as a relatively young, fit guy who continues to work on a wide variety of projects.

Hopefully, I can just chalk your oddly hostile response here as the result of someone who just happened to erroneously misread the intention or tone of my comment. Needless to say, I hold tremendous respect for Serkis as an performer, especially in regards to how he's helped to revolutionize the technology behind some of my very favourite films. But I certainly don't communicate that respect by feigning insult to harmless comments like yourself, or attacking people for apparently only "pretending to appreciate" the actor's work, if they dare have the audacity to joke about Serkis reacting in a knowingly overly-dramatic manner in response to something he might find slightly controversial. Perhaps you should maybe think about doing the same.

But animators do tweak motion capture. A lot. As far as I know we're still at a point where a basic part of the human anatomy, fingers, are handled mostly if not entirely by animators.

I was mostly kidding, although I have no doubt that the animators are there to serve the director, not the actors. :p As far as I'm concerned motion capture performances are a collaborative process and awarding just the actor for it is not really fair.

Oh, don't worry, I know you were just kidding around with that initial post, mate. Your post just reminded me of the whole motion capture debate. No harm, no foul...even if we might happen to have different opinions on either side of the argument. :)

robotrock

Banned
...what on earth?

In a response to a comment that some might judge as vaguely dismissive of the intricacies involved in motion capture, I playfully made an intentionally hyperbolic reference to a scenario where Andy Serkis would probably be so appalled by a comment that seemed to handwave over the realities of his profession, he would probably have something akin to a stroke, a knowingly over-dramatic reaction. That's certainly not the same thing as wishing Serkis ill-health, or making light of the relevant actor having suffered from such an illness...which Serkis never has, obviously, as a relatively young, fit guy who continues to work on a wide variety of projects.

Hopefully, I can just chalk your oddly hostile response here as the result of someone who just happened to erroneously misread the intention or tone of my comment. Needless to say, I hold tremendous respect for Serkis as an performer, especially in regards to how he's helped to revolutionize the technology behind some of my very favourite films. But I certainly don't communicate that respect by feigning insult to harmless comments like yourself, or attacking people for apparently only "pretending to appreciate" the actor's work, if they dare have the audacity to joke about Serkis reacting in a knowingly overly-dramatic manner in response to something he might find slightly controversial. Perhaps you should maybe think about doing the same.
How can you say you appreciate his work when you joke about him having strokes?

SpaceWolf

Banned
How can you say you appreciate his work when you joke about him having strokes?

bnghd.gif

With respect, at this point, I'm going to have to assume you're attempting to be deliberately obtuse and antagonistic as a means of stirring up an argument, certainly if you're going to choose to not really engage with what I've been saying, so I'm going to have to walk away from this debate. Take care and all the best.

robotrock

Banned
bnghd.gif

With respect, at this point, I'm going to have to assume you're attempting to be deliberately obtuse and antagonistic as a means of stirring up an argument, certainly if you're going to choose to not really engage with what I've been saying, so I'm going to have to walk away from this debate. Take care and all the best.

Really don't see how there's any debate to me calling you out for wishing ill on someone, but fine. Thanks for calling me fat too dude, real classy.

Also let's be clear: I'm the one walking away form this. Not you. You take care.

Not

Banned
Of course the only white kid is the only one who isn't getting blued.

I don't like James Cameron.

Oh sure we can hire nonwhite kids! We're just going to replace them with gigabytes anyway

One thing I know about white audiences, they can relate more to blue cat people than humans with darker skin than them

I saw those kids at the Avatar part of Animal Kingdom two weeks ago! There was a whole camera crew and it looked like they were setting up for an interview session.

Top Bottom