• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kung Fu Jedi said:
And on top of that, how did all the water get up there that's creating those massive waterfalls? Sure, some rain runoff, but come on!
Err, the same way rain is formed on any other mountain that has a base.

gcubed

dallow_bg said:
Wow! Thanks, had no idea 3D was so huge already.

Last one I saw was UP, and I left thinking how much I enjoyed the movie and how I should have watched it in 2D.

this movie pretty much makes 3d movies viable. Its integrated into the movie and not gimmicky

Titanic made lots of money off of weirdos that saw it 5+ times in theaters. Did Avatar get that same kind of dedication too? Still haven't still it, and doubt I will for awhile.

Rentahamster said:
Err, the same way rain is formed on any other mountain that has a base.

Not worth starting a huge discussion over, as I was mostly kidding. But the run off of water from most mountains is due to glaciers and snow formed at the top. The floating mountains didn't have that, and it wasn't especially rainy on Pandora, which would mean that run-off would be gone quickly, especially with the size and number of waterfalls that were present.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BobTheFork said:
Titanic made lots of money off of weirdos that saw it 5+ times in theaters. Did Avatar get that same kind of dedication too? Still haven't still it, and doubt I will for awhile.
Haven't been in the Avatar thread have we :lol Most of the people spamming every weekly box office thread probably seen it near that amount.

Xeke said:
I cost me $5 to see Titanic and $14 to see Avatar...

I think it was 1.75$ for me to see Titanic compared to the 14$ for Avatar >_>

dallow_bg

nods at old men
gcubed said:
this movie pretty much makes 3d movies viable. Its integrated into the movie and not gimmicky
Hmm, now I'm tempted to watch.

Man, you guys better be right.
Everything I"ve seen so far has had that 'gimmick' feel where, while it was interesting, simply distracted me more than anything.
Plus the colors and detail are worsened a bit with the shades.

Choke on the Magic said:
Really? Four pages and no Kayne meme. I'll be back in one hour.
From page 1:
MoFuzz said:
Yo Titanic, I'm real happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but.....Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time! of ALL TIME!

The king is dethroned!

By the king!
On topic, Avatar is a beast, detractors be damned.

gcubed

BobTheFork said:

see earlier in the thread

Evlar

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Not worth starting a huge discussion over, as I was mostly kidding. But the run off of water from most mountains is due to glaciers and snow formed at the top. The floating mountains didn't have that, and it wasn't especially rainy on Pandora, which would mean that run-off would be gone quickly, especially with the size and number of waterfalls that were present.
Yeah. The waterfalls are there for the same reason the giant root systems stretching hundreds of feet between little clumps of rock are there: Because it looks cool.

Talka

Any chance it'd catch up in inflation-adjusted numbers? I know there's problems with ranking movie returns whether you adjust for inflation or not, but if Avatar passes Titanic in both categories--and considering it's done in a few weeks what took Titanic a many months this might just be possible--then you can make at least a fairly definitive claim that Avatar's the top grossing movie ever.

Xeke

Banned
Talka said:
Any chance it'd catch up in inflation-adjusted numbers? I know there's problems with ranking movie returns whether you adjust for inflation or not, but if Avatar passes Titanic in both categories--and considering it's done in a few weeks what took Titanic a many months this might just be possible--then you can make at least a fairly definitive claim that Avatar's the top grossing movie ever.

What if they rerelease Titanic into theatres in 3D.

gcubed

Talka said:

it will more then likely beat Titanic in inflation adjusted as well barring any unforseen huge drop off in attendances. Titanic was only #6 though in adjusted.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-watching-avatar/story-e6frfnv0-1225821333043

A 42-year-old Taiwanese man with a history of high blood pressure has died of a stroke likely triggered by over-excitement from watching the blockbuster Avatar in 3D, a doctor says.
The man, identified only by his surname Kuo, started to feel unwell during the screening earlier this month in the northern city of Hsinchu and was taken to hospital.

Mr Kuo, who suffered from hypertension, was unconscious when he arrived at the Nan Men General Hospital and a scan showed that his brain was haemorrhaging, emergency room doctor Peng Chin-chih said today.

"It's likely that the over-excitement from watching the movie triggered his symptoms,'' the doctor said.

Mr Kuo died 11 days later from the brain haemorrhage, and the China Times newspaper said it was the first death linked to watching James Cameron's science-fiction epic Avatar.

Film blogging sites have reported complaints of headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight from viewers of Avatar and other movies rich in 3D imagery.

Dead

well not really...yet
Talka said:
The farthest that Avatar will reach in the Adjusted list will be 14 or 15. It will be higher than Jurassic Park (17) adjusted when all is said and done.

No other movie in the past 20 years has risen higher than the top 15 aside from Titanic.

Anything above 14 is in the 700 mils and Avatar simply wont be able to go higher due to losing screens from Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans, etc.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Not to pick nits too much, but it was a tropical rain forest. The shots from space and as the shuttle entered the atmosphere showed heavy cloud cover, and there are several scenes in the movie where it's raining.

Sriffat

Banned
I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that even if the 3D is 3$ more expensive on average than the normal movie ticket, people have still watched it not once but multiple times. They are WILLING to pay the premium. That means for most, it was worth it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kung Fu Jedi said:
OK, but mountains in tropical areas don't have glaciers and snow. Angel Falls, the tallest waterfall in the world, is located in Venezuela and is fed by cloud condensation and rain.

Solo

This is a great day. Cameron has eaten the haters eyes like jujubes and shit them out dead.

*bow* Cameron *bow*

Saw it twice, both times in Imax 3D! Debating a third, not too sure. I want to space out the time till I see it on Blu-Ray so I can "rediscover the magic."

Sriffat said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that even if the 3D is 3$ more expensive on average than the normal movie ticket, people have still watched it not once but multiple times. They are WILLING to pay the premium. That means for most, it was worth it.

Yeah, the experience is pretty epic. I KNOW the script is not the be-all-end-all, but the movie, when considered by the sum of it's parts, is epic on a scale no other film I've seen in the theater has achieved. I don't have a 3D capable TV, so until I do, I need to repeat view the great 3D movies, as Blu Ray just wouldn't even be close to the same thing.

LOZLINK

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves. We all know Heidi Montag is going to direct a movie which will easily outsell this. Avatar will not keep the crown for long

I thought this movie was awesome, and deserves to be #1. Can't see how anyone can call it mediocre. As a piece of entertainment, it was incredibly successful.

koam

THIS JUST IN

Inflation only affects Avatar movie tickets!! Ticket prices have increased 80% since the Dark Knight.

vooglie

Mango Positive said:
Yeah, the experience is pretty epic. I KNOW the script is not the be-all-end-all, but the movie, when considered by the sum of it's parts, is epic on a scale no other film I've seen in the theater has achieved. I don't have a 3D capable TV, so until I do, I need to repeat view the great 3D movies, as Blu Ray just wouldn't even be close to the same thing.

I watched it three times (with different groups of friends). First time I was very entertained, second time I just watched the special effects and paid no attention to the story, and the third time I slept through it until the final fight
between Jake and the colonel

I have no idea how you can keep going back.

Sipowicz

Banned
what do you get when you cross pocahontas and the smurfs and wrap it in a turgid 3 hour long package chock full of obnoxious effects?

box office success apparently. what the fuck happened to you james cameron?

GhaleonEB

vooglie said:
I watched it three times (with different groups of friends). First time I was very entertained, second time I just watched the special effects and paid no attention to the story, and the third time I slept through it until the final fight
between Jake and the colonel

I have no idea how you can keep going back.
I'm going to toss out a guess: he liked it more than you did. Crazy thought, I know.
ryutaro's mama said:
I love the hatred in this thread.

Keep it up guys.

;_;
It is rather delightful.

vooglie

GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to toss out a guess: he liked it more than you did. Crazy thought, I know.

It is rather delightful.

I liked it well enough; I just don't understand what else there is to see after the 2nd or 3rd time.

13 y/o boys vs 13 y/o girls, FIGHT

Hah, yeah, pretty much.

Belfast

:lol @ the people trying to pull the "inflation" card.

Yes, inflation happens. Yes, movies cost more than they used to. Being a fact of the economic system, there's nothing you can do about it. The top grosser will always, eventually, be dethroned.

"Bububububu!! Ticket Sales!!" doesn't deny the fact that AVATAR is currently the highest-grossing film of ALL TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom