• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
VFX Oscar is a lock, has to be.

If I had to make a prediction, I think this could be one of those odd years where Best Picture and Best Director go to different movies.

GhaleonEB

ryutaro's mama said:
I had put that movie behind me.

I only saw it once, back in 2002.

WHY DID YOU PROVIDE THAT LINK?!?!?!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I originally had a post filled with quotes, but couldn't narrow it down; I was quoting damn near the entire page. :lol

Dead said:
You're still comparing it to AOTC, which is a rubbish.

D9 is great in a Trashy Verhoeven way though. That is pretty much what it aspired to be.
D9 is great in almost every way, only Avatar surpasses it, and only for special effects and really falls short otherwise. Avatar was a brilliant visually, but dumb movie that was well directed and acted, but the story and script was embarrassingly weak.

GhaleonEB said:
I originally had a post filled with quotes, but couldn't narrow it down; I was quoting damn near the entire page. :lol

I (unfortuantely) saw Episode 1 a few times with different groups of friends.

I have never seen Episode 2 or 3 more than once.

And I will never own any of the 3 prequels in any format, ever.

Gilby

This makes me wish Cameron was the one directing the Dune movie. I don't know why that just popped into my head, but it did.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Just wanted to say,

To me, Avatar was an amazing and awesome movie in the truest sense of the words. I really felt like I'd been to another place by the time it was over. A lot of people have taken issue with the simplicity of the story, but my favorite stories have always been the ones that push a classic moral idea in a pure and epic way.

Also, it's ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not a movie is good or bad in their opinion, but even critics have to admit that there is a lot of appreciation for Avatar at least because of it's insanely high gross. For this reason, I think it'd be reasonable for even the most adamant haters of the movie to try and stay level headed if the movie wins best picture/director in whatever awards show. Just my two cents.

silverbullet1080 said:
D9 is great in almost every way, only Avatar surpasses it, and only for special effects and really falls short otherwise. Avatar was a brilliant visually, but dumb movie that was well directed and acted, but the story and script was embarrassingly weak.

WRONG (imo)

I have gone over this before.

3 major reasons why D9 fails as a movie (imo):

1. The weapons left behind in the slums:

The private corporation (MNU) that was given juristication over the alien site made the most ridicoulous missteps during their time running the show: The most obvious being, leaving the weapons and powersuit in the slums. Why would anyone do that? Who cares if they didn't work for humans, they worked for the aliens (I won't call them prawn). Get that shit out of there. I man, ffs, trade them pallets of cat food if you have to, but you don't leave that shit out there. The whole 3 act of the film is impossible without that "oversight".

2. The control module that can't be found

Once again, the inept corporation trusted by the world to run things, is unable to locate a huge fucking docking ship that fell to the ground before the aliens both move it and then fucking bury it! Seriously? And then, they actually go in there digging and can't find so they give up looking, like it disappeared or something. No bother of trying to look for it with satellite imaging or whatnot.

3. The convienently empty space ship

So first off D9, based around some sort of realistic depiction, is trying to get me to believe that if a space craft landed on earth--A FUCKING SPACECRAFT FROM ANOTHER PLANET--that realistically, the earth's top scientists wouldn't muscle their way onto the ship via the UN? That the US, Russia and China would all be just fine with not being allowed on there due to some South African decision to go private? C'mon...a spaceship landing would be a WORLD EVENT and that depiction makes little sense...anyway, besides that, when Christopher docks with the ship, there is no one on it. No scientists, no one. Not even a minimum wage earning security guard--no one is there. So he links up with the empty ship and departs. How convienent. In a realistic setting, there would be scientists living on that ship, trying to reverse engineer the tech.

So, yeah it has some flaws.

ryutaro's mama said:
The private corporation (MNU) that was given juristication over the alien site made the most ridicoulous missteps during their time running the show: The most obvious being, leaving the weapons and powersuit in the slums. Why would anyone do that? Who cares if they didn't work for humans, they worked for the aliens (I won't call them prawn). Get that shit out of there. I man, ffs, trade them pallets of cat food if you have to, but you don't leave that shit out there. The whole 3 act of the film is impossible without that "oversight".
The aliens didn't have alien weapons or the mech suit. As far as I'm aware the nigerian warlords had them.
ryutaro's mama said:
2. The control module that can't be found
You're right about this one, though I suppose it can be argued whether they really cared considering they had to deal with over a million working-class prawns on the ground.
ryutaro's mama said:
3. The convienently empty space ship
Why would anyone be on a defunct ship a full 20 years after it arrived?

silverbullet1080 said:
The aliens didn't have alien weapons or the mech suit. As far as I'm aware the nigerian warlords had them.

Yes, because the corporation left them in the slums, seeing them as useless.

The warlords traded the aliens cat food for them.

MNU could have done that BEFORE the warlords and then it would have all been out of there.

Limit the variables.

What was the point of leaving that shit out there?

Dead

well not really...yet
There isn't a lot of thought put into the worldview in D9. Or if there was, it doesn't get accross in the film.

D9s an awesome flick, but as far as Sci-Fi worldviews go, Avatar is a lot more well thought out.

ryutaro's mama said:
Yes, because the corporation left them in the slums, seeing them as useless.

The warlords traded the aliens cat food for them.

MNU could have done that BEFORE the warlords and then it would have all been out of there.

Limit the variables.

What was the point of leaving that shit out there?
Assuming that the MNU had at least one of each weapon, they have little to no incentive to enter a potentially bloody conflict with the prawns to get more weapons they or the prawns can't use.

Dead said:
There isn't a lot of thought put into the worldview in D9. Or if there was, it doesn't get accross in the film.

D9s an awesome flick, but as far as Sci-Fi worldviews go, Avatar is a lot more well thought out.
Neither were scifi worlds were that good, though Avatar had better justifications behind it's scifi.

silverbullet1080 said:
Assuming that the MNU had at least one of each weapon, they have little to no incentive to enter a potentially bloody conflict with the prawns to get more weapons they or the prawns can't use.

The Nigerians traded them cat food and they peacefully gave them the weapons.

You point doesn't make sense.

Why couldn't the MNU do the same?

Hell, if they had any resistance, send in the mercs. They had no problem doing that at the film's end.

The real reason they were left out there is because, without it, the 3rd act can't happen.

It's flawed writing.

Gui_PT

You can't say it's flawed writing because we've never had aliens land on our planet and having to live in the slums, so you wouldn't know what would happen and what would not!!

Your hair is a bird!

You're actually right about everything, but I love that movie =(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ryutaro's mama said:
The Nigerians traded them cat food and they peacefully gave them the weapons.

You point doesn't make sense.

Why couldn't the MNU do the same?

Hell, if they had any resistance, send in the mercs. They had no problem doing that at the film's end.

The real reason they were left out there is because, without it, the 3rd act can't happen.

It's flawed writing.
And Avatar is generic and dull writing.

What's the big deal about people having opinions? Some people preferred the ones that attempt something different but end up flawed. To the ones that come up with something sound but unoriginal.

shintoki said:
And Avatar is generic and dull writing.

What's the big deal about people having opinions? Some people preferred the ones that attempt something different but end up flawed. To the ones that come up with something sound but unoriginal.

I think that is fine.

He was saying how (in his opinion) D9 was superior. I told why I didn't like it.

Doesn't detract from him liking it.

Those were just my personal gripes, in detail.

silverbullet1080 said:
Why would anyone be on a defunct ship a full 20 years after it arrived?

Because we have studied marvels on our own planet for longer (the pyramids for example). There would be a lot to try and learn from that. Think about this: They got to our planet...we are still sending Technic kits to Mars.

I would imagine 20 years would be nothing in the grand scheme of things.

NimbusD

Medalion said:
Hooray for inflation.

nah just joshing... congrats Cameron, better him than Bay or Jackson.

Not to mention the cost of 3D tickets. Seriously I never get why actual ticket sales aren't tracked too, not saying that this isn't an amazing achievement, but I'd think of ticket sales as a more acurate indicator of cultural relevance (I know that's not really the point of tracking sales though).

Vyer

ryutaro's mama said:
I think that is fine.

He was saying how (in his opinion) D9 was superior. I told why I didn't like it.

Doesn't detract from him liking it.

Those were just my personal gripes, in detail.

I can see why you like your stories simple and predictable.

I kid I kid...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't expect it to this well if I'm honest.

I liked it, didn't love it. The visuals were incredible though. That Oscar is in the bag.

I just hope he doesn't spend the next 10 years making sequels.

user_nat said:
On the topic of inflation and all, why are movies measured in dollars opposed to units?

Can't think of any other industries that measure in dollars.

Because dollars pay for the movie and keep the company afloat. 1000 tickets at $1 each means more people saw your movie and it grossed $1000. 100 tickets at $10 each gets you the same cash in the end, but less eyes on the screen. This is a business after all.

Why score sports on points when you can keep a score on attempts on scores and whatnot? Because it is dumb when determining the winner, but it does make for fun stat tracking. So why not just use tickets sold as a fun statistic instead.

Besides, it is called the highest grossing movie. Not the most attended.

MIMIC

Banned
Good for Avatar but I hope people don't mistake gross for popularity.

"Movie that costs more to see makes....more money."

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Xeke said:
I cost me $5 to see Titanic and $14 to see Avatar...
It cost me $7.75 to see Avatar in 3D. (RealD) Sucks to be you.

MIMIC said:

Yeah, 'cuz all those other 3D movies have taken up spots in the top 10 of all time.

jett

D-Member
MIMIC said:

Yes, Avatar isn't popular or well-liked at all!

MIMIC said:

High cost does not always mean it will make more money. Just look at Speed Racer (bombed), where The Hangover was moderately budgeted but made TONS of money.

EDIT: Never mind. I read it as costs for to make, not costs more to see. My fault.

3d ticket prices helped things like THE Final Destination (my own emphasis) and My Bloody Valentine, but they didn't exactly set records either.

MIMIC

Banned
jett said:
Yes, Avatar isn't popular or well-liked at all!

I was equating "highest grossing movie of all time" with "most popular movie of all time". Some people falsely make this assertion.

Obviously people like it.

Trurl

Banned
Are ticket sales not tracked? It would be nice if we counted both so that people wouldn't try to impose one on to the other.

Snaku

Banned
Congrats to Jim and Avatar. Phenomenal experience all around, and totally deserves all of its success.

Now go make Battle Angel the highest grossing film of all time next!

MIMIC

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Yeah, 'cuz all those other 3D movies have taken up spots in the top 10 of all time.

If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price, which Avatar should be commended for. But people need some perspective. Inflation isn't a term that was just invented to rob Avatar of its success.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:

What the fuck is Unobtainium?
Why is it so valuable?
Are they aware that they would probably destroy the economy introducing something so valuable into the economy?
If it was so valuable yet so abundant on the planet, why didn't they go to the other mines on the planet they kept referring to? Who cares if it isn't nearby, you have fucking space-ships.

MIMIC said:
If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price, which Avatar should be commended for. But people need some perspective. Inflation isn't a term that was just invented to rob Avatar of its success.

:lol at bolded.

MIMIC said:
If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price

Usually that is true. In this case it is. People are willing to pay a premium to see the film, so it deserves the success it is having.

JCX

ahoyhoy said:
Why is it so valuable?
Are they aware that they would probably destroy the economy introducing something so valuable into the economy?
If it was so valuable yet so abundant on the planet, why didn't they go to the other mines on the planet they kept referring to? Who cares if it isn't nearby, you have fucking space-ships.

Or a multitude of other things, like biological warfare which would kill all the Na'vi, leaving unobtanium for all.

I suppose it being #1 doesn't change much, since Titanic being number 1 didn't seem to change much either.

jett

D-Member
MIMIC said:
I was equating "highest grossing movie of all time" with "most popular movie of all time". Some people falsely make this assertion.

MIMIC said:
If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price.

13zbgwg.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
ahoyhoy said:
Why is it so valuable?
First question is answered in the movie visually. You dont have to be told what unobtainium is to figure out what it is. (unlike D9s magic canister) The rest can be found in the movies background materials.

Just because there is an explanation, doesnt mean it has to be told in the movie. But watching the movie, everything feels and looks like it works, BECAUSE there is an actual explination, even if it isnt stated.

The explanations exist and you can find out for yourself after having seen the movie in the background materials. They supplement the movie.

The background info exists to enhance what the viewer knows. None of the withheld information is crucial to understanding how the world in the movie works.

Rezbit

Enjoyed the movie immensely, very entertaining. Glad to see something has finally toppled Titanic. I wonder after what the final gross will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom