• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunan

Sorry for the nerd rage but..

Anticitizen One said:
The highest grossing pictures of all time are Gone with the Wind and Star Wars when adjusted for inflation. Avatar is #26 on the list.
You realize that that list: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm is only DOMESTIC, right? Avatar made 1.3 billion in the markets outside of the US.

JeTmAn81 said:
Jesus people atleast read the links you post before you post them. domestic != worldwide.

crazy monkey said:
Yes, Jurassic park is still ahead of Avatar Nice.
:|
Anticitizen One said:
sigh. Haters gotta hate I guess, even with bullshit.

X26 said:
So how much should it need to make to stop the inflation/3D ticket prices/etc. arguments?
Well I guess not pretending the world doesn't exist for one, considering the other quotes above this one. Avatar isn't #1 adjusted, but it isn't #26 worldwide either.

Belfast said:
:lol @ the people trying to pull the "inflation" card.

Yes, inflation happens. Yes, movies cost more than they used to. Being a fact of the economic system, there's nothing you can do about it. The top grosser will always, eventually, be dethroned.

"Bububububu!! Ticket Sales!!" doesn't deny the fact that AVATAR is currently the highest-grossing film of ALL TIME.
They've stepped up their game. Now its Inflation adjusted domestic only, the rest of the world is out!

MIMIC

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
:lol at bolded.

What's so funny? Do you not believe that Avatar is a better movie than the "other 3D movies" you referenced? Am I missing something?

GhaleonEB said:

People who don't know that 80% of Avatar's gross comes from higher priced 3D admissions and think that it's just from regular tickets.

jett

D-Member
ahoyhoy said:
What the fuck is Unobtainium?
Why is it so valuable?
Are they aware that they would probably destroy the economy introducing something so valuable into the economy?
If it was so valuable yet so abundant on the planet, why didn't they go to the other mines on the planet they kept referring to? Who cares if it isn't nearby, you have fucking space-ships.

The use of the unobtanium material is no importance to the movie, but if you must know it's a superconductor essential for the development of space travel and the maglev transportation of Earth.

It's already being used in Earth's economy, like I said.

There's only one RDA base on the planet, with limited resources. This is also a private company, maximizing profits ftw, yo. They didn't move because they didn't give a fuck about the Na'Vi people, period.

The last one is either all in the movie, or easily deduced from the information you're given.

GhaleonEB

MIMIC said:
People who don't know that 80% of Avatar's gross comes from higher priced 3D admissions and think that it's just from regular tickets.
Seems you're the one making that mistake then. I haven't seen a single person here say that Avatar is the most popular movie of all time, and everyone seems aware that 3D is one of the reasons it's making as much as it is (both because of the ticket price premium, and because 3D is a major draw). So you are talking to, literally, no one.
Count Dookkake said:
It's only selling to casuals and soccer moms.
I want you to know I made a Wiimote comparison in the weekly box office thread, and thought of you.

MIMIC said:
What's so funny? Do you not believe that Avatar is a better movie than the "other 3D movies" you referenced? Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something(s).

1) Better needs to be defined.

2) There is a limit to how much extra can be charged for an allegedly "better" product. This shall henceforth be known as the "599 US DOLLARS" rule.

GhaleonEB said:
I want you to know I made a Wiimote comparison in the weekly box office thread, and thought of you.

Thumbs up, dude.

Dabanton

The haters are still crying i see.

Get over yourselfs guys,i still don't understand how some people hate Avatar it never said it would have the world's best script. Is it just becasue it;'s popular now so some of you guys have to try to be outsiders and trash the movie at every opportunity constant declarations that the script was 'Generic' diversion talk about inflated ticket prices, has that what it's come to for the haters?

We should be happy that a filmmaker has delivered his own unique vision in a cinematic landscape made up of so many me 2 filmmakers.

Cameron took a chance and it's paid off handsomely but then if some of you guys had sense you would have seen that months ago.

MIMIC

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Seems you're the one making that mistake then. I haven't seen a single person here say that Avatar is the most popular movie of all time, and everyone seems aware that 3D is one of the reasons it's making as much as it is (both because of the ticket price premium, and because 3D is a major draw). So you are talking to, literally, no one.

I'm not talking about here on the Internet :lol People who I've spoken to about Avatar usually don't know where Avatar making its money from.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Kunan said:
They've stepped up their game. Now its Inflation adjusted domestic only, the rest of the world is out!

And I'm pretty sure those inflation adjusted lists are just doing "number of tickets x cost of average ticket for years it was in theaters." Its not like they were counting Gone With The Wind's penny theater numbers separately from the super classy ones.

MIMIC

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Yes, you are missing something(s).

1) Better needs to be defined.

Well in YOUR definition of "better", you don't believe people will pay a little more for the superior product?

2) There is a limit to how much extra can be charged for an allegedly "better" product. This shall henceforth be known as the "599 US DOLLARS" rule.

Errr....I thought the limit was obvious and didn't need to actually be stated. An Avatar ticket isn't $70.

GhaleonEB

MIMIC said:
I'm not talking about here on the Internet :lol People who I've spoken to about Avatar usually don't know where Avatar making its money from.
So why are you posting about it on the Internet, as a means of arguing with people on the internet? Not an especially relevant point then. :p

MIMIC said:
Well in YOUR definition of "better", you don't believe people will pay a little more for the superior product?

Depends on too many variables for you to say anything worthwhile on the subject.

MIMIC said:
Errr....I thought the limit was obvious and didn't need to actually be stated. An Avatar ticket isn't $70.

Err... the limit isn't obvious when you say something as stupidly open-ended as "If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price."

599 US DOLLARS!!!!

MIMIC

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
So why are you posting about it on the Internet, as a means of arguing with people on the internet? Not an especially relevant point then. :p

Just to be clear, when I said "people I've talked to," I meant people that I've talked to face-to-face AND people on the Internet, just not necessarily this forum. Nonetheless, I get the very strong impression that even people here on this forum tend to scoff at those who bring up the 3D ticket price because it sheds light on how popular Avatar really is. Some people want to insinuate that Avatar is as popular as the other high-grossing movies (because back in the day, gross and popularity usually did go hand-in-hand...and in this case, it doesn't)

aznpxdd

Where do you guys live that charges $3 extra for 3D? When I saw it in IMAX 3D, its the same price as any IMAX movie.

JCreasy

MIMIC said:
If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price, which Avatar should be commended for. But people need some perspective. Inflation isn't a term that was just invented to rob Avatar of its success.

MIMIC said:
Just to be clear, when I said "people I've talked to," I meant people that I've talked to face-to-face AND people on the Internet, just not necessarily this forum. Nonetheless, I get the very strong impression that even people here on this forum tend to scoff at those who bring up the 3D ticket price because it sheds light on how popular Avatar really is. Some people want to insinuate that Avatar is as popular as the other high-grossing movies (because back in the day, gross and popularity usually did go hand-in-hand...and in this case, it doesn't)

xm3bte.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Depends on too many variables for you to say anything worthwhile on the subject.

I asked your opinion. Nevermind then.

Err... the limit isn't obvious when you say something as stupidly open-ended as "If it's a better movie, people are going to see it regardless of price."

So you HONESTLY believe that I was saying that even if a movie ticket was $500, people would see it because it's good?

Seriously?

Common sense would indicate that I wasn't being THAT open-ended :-/ I obviously meant WITHIN REASON

MIMIC said:
So you HONESTLY believe that I was saying that even if a movie ticket was $500, people would see it because it's good?

Seriously?

Common sense would indicate that I wasn't being THAT open-ended :-/ I obviously meant WITHIN REASON

I read it as "within reason." Otherwise, why make the argument?

There is a premium on the tickets to see this in 3D and IMAX as compared to normal screens, but the premium being charged is not obscene. Now if the tickets were twice as much or had a premium of $10, then I think it would negatively affect the attendance. But with a $1-$3 premium, most people see that as a small price to pay for a unique experience that cannot be replicated (yet) at home. And a unique experience is what the theater going experience is supposed to be about.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Question:

When Quaritch is shooting at the escaped group, some lackey comes out and gives him a mask.

But when they cut to the people on the helicopter, none of them were wearing masks right? (IE when Grace is shot.)

jett

D-Member
suffah said:
Question:

When Quaritch is shooting at the escaped group, some lackey comes out and gives him a mask.

But when they cut to the people on the helicopter, none of them were wearing masks right? (IE when Grace is shot.)

I'm pretty sure they were all wearing masks when they were climbing aboard.

Mashing

Gary Whitta said:
VFX Oscar is a lock, has to be.

If I had to make a prediction, I think this could be one of those odd years where Best Picture and Best Director go to different movies.

I think the Academy has to give him the nod for best director based on his dedication to this movie and the fact that is has now brought 3D into the mainstream. Basically, this is the Super Mario 64 of new era of 3d Hollywood if you wanted to look for a comparison.

Dead

well not really...yet
suffah said:
Question:

They were wearing masks

GhaleonEB

MIMIC said:
I'm a little lost here, so I want to recap how we got here. You made a broadside about "some people" equating the "highest grossing movie of all time" with "most popular movie of all time". I asked who, and you said, "I'm not talking about here on the Internet. People who I've spoken to."

Well, okay. Upon my pointing out that that doesn't make it a relevant point since no one here is making that mistake, you said these people may in fact be on the Internet, but are also in real life (but apparently not on GAF), as if that somehow makes your claim more relevant.

I guess where I'm going with this is when you make a bullshit strawman argument like you did, and upon getting called out on it resort to anecdotal experience with people you know (who may or may not have been on the internet but are clearly NOT on GAF), you've failed at making said argument.

You should make that argument with the bozos you know who said that, and probably not haul it into a conversation where no one is actually saying that.
jett said:
aka, this. :lol

gcubed

Kunan said:
Sorry for the nerd rage but..

You realize that that list: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm is only DOMESTIC, right? Avatar made 1.3 billion in the markets outside of the US.

Jesus people atleast read the links you post before you post them. domestic != worldwide.

:|

sigh. Haters gotta hate I guess, even with bullshit.

Well I guess not pretending the world doesn't exist for one, considering the other quotes above this one. Avatar isn't #1 adjusted, but it isn't #26 worldwide either.

you sound like a ps3 fan who brings up japan when talking about NPD's

gcubed

aznpxdd said:
Uh...except PS3 is dead last.

Seriously, why are people so mad Avatar is the #.1 grossing film?

i'm not mad at all, but to try and discredit something that pulled in almost 200 million dollars in 1939 as "only making 200 million dollars" is a little ... wrong... gone with the wind made enough to pretty much buy a freaking country in 1939.

I wasnt speaking of their place on the list, just that someone said "hey, not really" and then the usual follow up of but the rest of the world! in a thread that has an OP specifically speaking of US

gcubed said:
you sound like a ps3 fan who brings up japan when talking about NPD's

If we are going to compare this film in anyway to video games then let me dust off my patented analogy.

The people who doubted Avatar's success in the wake of Titanic, are about as short-sighted and ignorant of their field of interest as the so-called 'experts' who predicted gloom-and-doom for the Wii in the wake of the DS.

Get a brain, morans.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trurl said:
I don't see why movie theaters don't charge $50 per ticket. Are they afraid of making money?

My parents just bought a couple of gold class tickets for the film. AU$33 each. :/

GhaleonEB

gcubed said:
i'm not mad at all, but to try and discredit something that pulled in almost 200 million dollars in 1939 as "only making 200 million dollars" is a little ... wrong... gone with the wind made enough to pretty much buy a freaking country in 1939.
While it's absolutely true that Gone with the Wind made mad bank for it's time, it also took decades and several re-releases to do it; the lack of home video market kept it playing and playing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031381/releaseinfo

USA 15 December 1939 (Atlanta, Georgia) (premiere)
USA 31 March 1942 (re-release)
USA 21 August 1947 (re-release)
USA 3 June 1954 (re-release)
USA 10 March 1961 (Atlanta, Georgia) (re-release)
USA 10 October 1967 (New York City, New York) (re-release)
USA 14 October 1967 (re-release)
USA 18 September 1974 (re-release)
USA 3 February 1989 (re-release)
USA 26 June 1998 (re-release)

Dragon

Banned
gcubed said:

I wasnt speaking of their place on the list, just that someone said "hey, not really" and then the usual follow up of but the rest of the world! in a thread that has an OP specifically speaking of US

There was also no other way of seeing that movie. Unlike the inevitable DVD/Blu-ray versions of Avatar. Plus Gone With the Wind was out for years and years. Why aren't these brought up during these ridiculous inflation arguments?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether you adjust for inflation or not, Avatar did this in friggin seven weeks. Eat it.

Dragon

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
If we are going to compare this film in anyway to video games then let me dust off my patented analogy.

The people who doubted Avatar's success in the wake of Titanic, are about as short-sighted and ignorant of their field of interest as the so-called 'experts' who predicted gloom-and-doom for the Wii in the wake of the DS.

Get a brain, morans.

Avatar = cost tons of money to make relative to its competitors
Wii/DS = did not as far as I know

TheBranca18 said:
There was also no other way of seeing that movie. Unlike the inevitable DVD/Blu-ray versions of Avatar. Plus Gone With the Wind was out for years and years. Why aren't these brought up during these ridiculous inflation arguments?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether you adjust for inflation or not, Avatar did this in friggin seven weeks. Eat it.

For the same reason that people seem to forget that other companies could try to copy Nintendo's success with the Wii Play when they shed tears about its sales dominance.

Bu-bu-bu-but free controller!!!!

TheBranca18 said:
Avatar = cost tons of money to make relative to its competitors
Wii/DS = did not as far as I know

I don't know either, but I am not sure that it is relevant.

Chichikov

Mashing said:
I think the Academy has to give him the nod for best director based on his dedication to this movie and the fact that is has now brought 3D into the mainstream. Basically, this is the Super Mario 64 of new era of 3d Hollywood if you wanted to look for a comparison.
Best director is not (or at least, should not be) a lifetime achievement or a technical innovation award, the Academy has both at their disposal and I'm sure Cameron will win a bunch of them.
The Academy should award the Oscar to whoever they think did the best job directing a movie the passing year.

Koodo

Banned
gcubed said:

Since when did the US changed its name to Worldwide?

"Avatar" has surpassed "Titanic" at the box office, topping $1.8 billion worldwide. "To get to those numbers," says Hollywood.com's Paul Dergarabedian, "you need repeat business, you need great word-of-mouth, and you need to grab an audience basically across the board."

jett

D-Member
gcubed said:

It didn't make 200 million dollars in 1939. It made 200 million dolars over 50 years with dozens of re-releases. Learn to internets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom