• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avellone is "down" to kickstarting an old school RPG (possibly PS:T 2)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No and there's no guarantee it will even come out. That's why I hate this idea of making the customer the investor/publisher. We're supposed to be buying a finished product, that is our role.

While there's no guarantee a game will come out, it's pretty easy to slot things on the continuum of risk:
- Double Fine: Released 4 new games, DLC for all four, 2 non-game apps, and 2 ports in the last 18 months. About to release 2 more ports. Prior to the last 18 months, they released two full retail games. They have a clear set of creative talent, starting with Schafer at the top, a second tier of project leads under him all of whom were involved in their own projects over the last year, followed by obviously talented rank and file at the bottom. Besides the project they're asking for money on Kickstarter for, they've got multiple other projects this year. They have historical relationships with a number of publishers, they have a private angel investor. Before Double Fine was started, Schafer worked with LucasArts for a long time, directing several retail games, most of which are considered classics of their genre. They've been around for 10+ years. Ron Gilbert is also at DoubleFine right now. Finally, this project has clearly undergone extensive pre-production based on the entire nature of the pitch. The project has a pretty solid deadline (Q4 2012 / end of 2012)

I would literally insure your donation to this game. There isn't a chance, barring nuclear explosion, that this project doesn't get completed and released. It's more likely that I will die, you will die, or GAF will shut down than this project not getting finished.

- Avellone: Obvious talent in the genre who worked on classic games in the genre, in that respect an obvious parallel to Schafer. Shipped many retail games. At Obsidian, who have been around for 8 years. They're working on two new projects already. However, this pitch may or may not include a team from Obsidian. No preproduction has been done, excepting the fact that Avellone has obviously brainstormed a lot over the last few years about RPGs in general. Obsidian themselves have a mixed track record on game completion (Alpha Protocol had a troubled development, Aliens got cancelled, KOTOR2 got rushed out, etc). Project would likely have input from JE Sawyer, who is also a genuine talent with a mixed record in terms of projects actually shipping. The project has no real timeline.

Based on Avellone's experience I would expect such a project to get completed. I would feel comfortable giving my money. If something happened that it didn't work out, that wouldn't floor me.

- Random Team: Three or four people have a neat idea and some concept art. None has ever made a game. They have very broad estimations for the amount of time the project will take but there's no evidence that they understand the problem of scope creep. All of the people involved are either unemployed or employed in unrelated sectors.

This is clearly a gamble.

obonicus

Who's got the license? Atari?

I think Atari has the license, yeah. But even if they could get the license to Obsidian, would Hasbro want to do this for a game line they don't even support anymore?

On the other hand, Dark Sun is a setting that is supported, and Dark Sun's pretty awesome. It's still an IP they don't have a license for, but it seems more likely.

Corto

The short of it: Kickstarter could be an awesome tool to resurrect 'dead' genres IF used right.

Irrefutable credible people in charge of the project putting their name in the stakes and spread these pledges so you don't saturate or cannibalize your potential patronage pool with other similarly enticing projects. Done.

soultron

Banned
The short of it: Kickstarter could be an awesome tool to resurrect 'dead' genres IF used right.

KickStarter needs to open its doors to other countries (Canada, motherfuckers!) so they can cash in on the streams of indie developers who're going to flock to its service after seeing Double Fine's success.

Lots of indie developers already use KS. But the DF instance (and any other big names who follow) is only going to bring tonnes of smaller, fledgling names to the service.

Suairyu

Banned
So how long until Activision starts COD: Elite: High Command where you get extra DLC for free if you donated via kickstarter?

Derrick01

Banned
Who cares if it's actually in the Planescape universe? They can make their own surrealist universe.

I think at this point people would fund them to make any old school RPG. They're clearly talented enough to create their own amazing universe, people just want to see it with tough choices and lots of old style management which we just don't see normally anymore.

szaromir

Banned
- Avellone: Obvious talent in the genre who worked on classic games in the genre, in that respect an obvious parallel to Schafer. Shipped many retail games. At Obsidian, who have been around for 8 years. They're working on two new projects already. However, this pitch may or may not include a team from Obsidian. No preproduction has been done, excepting the fact that Avellone has obviously brainstormed a lot over the last few years about RPGs in general. Obsidian themselves have a mixed track record on game completion (Alpha Protocol had a troubled development, Aliens got cancelled, KOTOR2 got rushed out, etc). Project would likely have input from JE Sawyer, who is also a genuine talent with a mixed record in terms of projects actually shipping. The project has no real timeline.

Based on Avellone's experience I would expect such a project to get completed. I would feel comfortable giving my money. If something happened that it didn't work out, that wouldn't floor me.

Obsidian shipped a lot of products this generation. They do get stuff done, even if QA is lacking. :p But most of the games in this genre come out buggy, so fans are kinda used to it. Maybe with their internal engine they can release more polished games though.

But "oldschool RPG" would imply a 2D engine, no?

No and there's no guarantee it will even come out. That's why I hate this idea of making the customer the investor/publisher. We're supposed to be buying a finished product, that is our role.

I rather gamble a little if that what it takes to make certain games being developed. I can afford the possibility of it turning to nothing or crap.

Kem0sabe

Planescape universe (it's originally pen&paper system) is probably the most original universe for an RPG ever. Number of games in that industry over the last 20 years: 1. I think we can have one more.

You don't understand Kickstarter, do you? If the projects meets the goal all is funded from the start. Their salaries will get paid, etc., etc. They can just sit and make the game THEY WANT. It doesn't matter if it sells even one copy, the cost of the game has been already covered.

I do understand kickstarted... and it dont think it would work on a license they dont own (obsidian) and that doesn't justify the cost of licensing it (in terms of sales) and the production values needed to deliver a game of the scope of Planescape.

Dont forget Planescape, for all its awesomeness sold next to nothing when rpg´s of it´s ilk (infinity engine) were at their height. These days there isnt a budget big enough for a niche project like this to try to do the voice over´s of a game as large and as complex as planescape or even have the team of quality writes to even script it.

Orayn

You could easily do locked, fixed zoom "isometric" camera with real time 3D graphics. The upside is that it would scale to higher resolutions much better than pre-rendered stuff.

I do understand kickstarted... and it dont think it would work on a license they dont own (obsidian) and that doesn't justify the cost of licensing it (in terms of sales) and the production values needed to deliver a game of the scope of Planescape.

The game will probably be based on Infinity Engine, you really don't expect them to make it using modern assets? At least I don't.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can Garriott start a kickstarter for Ultima X now...

...oh and van Caneghem also for Might and Magic X.

The guy has a castle for a home, and enough money to go into space... I don't think he needs a kickstarter for Ultima X (or a spiritual sequel)... :p It just seems to me that he's way more interested in space travel than game development, and from what I heard even if he was still making Ultima games, they'd be all online ones anyways :(

I'd love some new oldskool turnbased/partybased western RPGs, those are the only ones in the genre I really am into.

obonicus

The game will probably be based on Infinity Engine, you really don't expect them to make it using modern assets? At least I don't.

Why do you think it'd be Infinity Engine? I'd imagine they'd use the Dungeon Siege 3 engine, since they own that (and supposedly it's pretty capable). Isn't Infinity Engine's still Bioware's?

dude

dude
Why do you think it'd be Infinity Engine? I'd imagine they'd use the Dungeon Siege 3 engine, since they own that (and supposedly it's pretty capable). Isn't Infinity Engine's still Bioware's?

I don't think they'll have a problem getting the rights to use the Infnity Engine. I think it's best they don't use 3D models just so they could save money, so that the game could realistically be made.

Modern assets might actually be cheaper and easier to work with at this point.
Maybe. I don't mind either way though!

soultron

Banned
I don't know guys, I mean P:T didn't need a sequel, it was a well written, self contained game.

I agree with this, mostly because I'm okay with anything Avellone wants to do. Especially if it apes the narrative structure of Alpha Protocol.

bengraven

First time I've seen a title and my only response is "shut the fuuuuuuuh-kuppppp...freals?".

That said, I agree that we don't need a Torment sequel. Don't waste the money with a license. Just make something original and amazing.

Drazgul

If the setting is traditional medieval fantasy I would withdraw my donation, though I would still be curious at least.

Low-fantasy approach could be sweet, similar to Darklands. IMO in general it's not the setting that makes or breaks the game anyway, it's how the developers use it.

dude

dude
If the setting is traditional medieval fantasy I would withdraw my donation, though I would still be curious at least.

My little fantasy is them securing Dark Sun license. THough maybe it'll be better if they just do their own setting, to avoid licensing costs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd rather have something new instead of a sequel. Just with similar story telling & gameplay goals if need be.

Nothing to do with having a licence though, by all means use D&D or whatever other system woult be fun & strategic.

Maybe they don't even need a licence if they use old D&D and modify as needed, I heard that's been freed, hence KOTC?

Adventure games were merely resting but traditional RPGs really are dead. It's going to take a bit more than a kick start I think. Maybe Avellone could also offer to make a point and click for the same sort of budget as Double Fine.

Rad-

Honestly, I don't want a PST sequel. The gameplay was absolutely horrible. But I'd love a more BG-esque game.

Though I'm not sure if Avellone has "it" anymore. His writing has been disappointing in recent years.

duckroll

I'd rather have something new instead of a sequel. Just with similar story telling & gameplay goals if need be.

Nothing to do with having a licence though, by all means use D&D or whatever other system woult be fun & strategic.

Maybe they don't even need a licence if they use old D&D and modify as needed, I heard that's been freed, hence KOTC?

Planescape is a setting. When people mention they want a "PS:T2" they generally don't literally meant a sequel which continues after that game. They just want a new Planescape game from the original creators, in that unique world setting, with an in-depth focus on conversations and communication playing as big a role in progressing in the game as combat, or even more so, depending on the player.

jett

D-Member
Isn't Avellone just an Obsidian employee? He doesn't own a game company. This is not really the same as DF's situation.

duckroll

Isn't Avellone just an Obsidian employee? He doesn't own a game company. This is not really the same as DF's situation.

Chris Avellone is the co-owner and chief creative officer at Obsidian Entertainment. No, he is not "just an employee".

Top Bottom