• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Scores 2nd Highest-Opening - The Age of Marvel is Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Walt Disney Pictures is calling the opening weekend for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron at $187.7M this morning, making it the second highest opening weekend of all-time at the domestic B.O., behind 2012’s Avengers $207.4M.

Disney Marvel films own the top three openings at the all-time domestic box office with Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 ($174.1M).

Furthermore, cumulative gross now stands at $626,660,000 ($439 million overseas) according to the-numbers.com

Plasticine said it best:
It's over, period. Marvel lost their last ace, and that's the end of their MCU hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Marvel Studios. Marvel has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a MCU. Except if they want to watch Captain America: Civil War. Which will also make $180+ million opening weekend.

The age of Marvel is done.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/
http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-The#tab=international

hamchan

It's all over folks. Only a matter of time before these movies are unprofitable and all Marvel movies are cancelled.

Kathian

Banned
Just means they need to come out fighting next time; nothing about the trailers has really been grabbing or uniquely interesting. Unfortunately I think the 'Civil War' stuff sounds the opposite of interesting and they need to look closely at how the present villains in these films.

People who were hyped about seeing the first film failed to turn up this time around; for me that's an issue with the marketing and the films content.

I wish Marvel would invent some new villains; too often they feel like nods to the fans without much more substance than that.

mreddie

tumblr_mfdb9u1oDR1s11uato1_500.gif

ninjabat

Still a good opening weekend. Depending on how much it was loved, it might have a small drop next weekend. Think it will hold top spot till mad max releases.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DC won, Marvel is about to have another crash, time to sell their properties to Fox again

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, I wanted my Spiderman and Black Panther movies before it all ended...

You know, there are going to be people who actually believe this. I don't know about you guys, but I *cannot wait* for "superhero fatigue" thinkpieces to start popping up.

It will be glorious to read

You know, there are going to be people who actually believe this. I don't know about you guys, but I *cannot wait* for "superhero fatigue" thinkpieces to start popping up.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Obviously it was down to a the US release being later than most international markets.

Marvel just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about comic-book movie culture (I'm an expert), but money and opening weekends are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the video game industry where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in movies, you bring losses on to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that loss is reboots of 5-year-old movies.

What this means is the comic-book movie lovers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to watch any more Marvel films, nor will they purchase any of Marvel's merchandise. games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Marvel has pissed off an entire market with this move.

Marvel, publicly apologize to Edgar and cancel Ant-Man or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Game4life

Banned
Just means they need to come out fighting next time; nothing about the trailers has really been grabbing or uniquely interesting. Unfortunately I think the 'Civil War' stuff sounds the opposite of interesting and they need to look closely at how the present villains in these films.

People who were hyped about seeing the first film failed to turn up this time around; for me that's an issue with the marketing and the films content.

I wish Marvel would invent some new villains; too often they feel like nods to the fans without much more substance than that.

This. I am getting bored of these movies now. Useless throwaway villains with poorly thoughtout action. Hopefully next year will be more interesting in this space. Star Wars meanwhile will hopefully be good this year.

Kathian

Banned

After three quarters of a century; I think their safe.

This. I am getting bored of these movies now. Useless throwaway villains with poorly thoughtout action. Hopefully next year will be more interesting in this space. Star Wars meanwhile will hopefully be good this year.

Interesting thing is most of the superhero films knock it out the park with the first film. Theres usually a relationship between the villain and cast; Avengers broke the mould but its a special beast with so much coming together in one film. Spiderman 2 does a great job with following up.

I've asked this in the other thread.

Tickets sold , we are talking what ? Top 2 ? Top 3 ? Top 5 ?

Nobody on GAF works on theater chain with data (tickets vs gross , etc) ?

Vanish

It's bizarre that the original Avengers movie gave every Phase 2 movie a huge boost over it's predecessor but Avengers 2 ended up with less. Especially considering Avengers 2 is making more money than the original overseas from what i've heard so far. Did the Manny/Pacquaio fight really hurt it that much? Is there a different reason? Will those people who missed the movie because of the fight watch it next week?

Also, all future Marvel movies are cancelled, superhero fatigue finally set in, Marvel/Disney are going bankrupt, etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait now I think some people here actually think this is either bad or the start of Marvel's decline lol

Mindwipe

In all seriousness, this isn't a problem for Marvel, but it is a good indicator of how the US Box Office seems to be going into a period of sustained decline, with the studios subsequently focusing on their international business more and more to deliver the goods.

Which will deliver a subtly different product over time.

3N16MA

Banned
Disney will have less money to burn to keep them warm from the cold winters. Wait, Episode VII will save them

Crisis over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom