• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Infinity War Marching To $245M+ Opening, Second Best-Ever Behind Force Awakens

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Industry estimates have Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War at $106.7M (including that $39M Thursday night) and $245.6M over three days, which would put the pic second behind Star Wars: Force Awakens record opening of $247.9M. Numbers are much higher than what we say last night with a $237M start. Some even believe that Infinity War could beat Force Awakens ($247.9M) but a lot of that will depend on today’s momentum.
http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

rokkerkory

Fully deserved... movie was amazeballs... esp what they had to do to tie so many storylines together. Also, Thanos was BADASS,

shira

I honestly don't know wtf DCEU is supposed to do.

They are a decade away from making their Infinity War but their movies are tainted

WaterAstro

I'm surprised it isn't the biggest, though there could be a chance, but I guess Force Awakens was just a longer wait for the hype.

Kadayi

Banned
Well deserved! But the Real Question is, can it beat "Jurassic World" (1.6b)?!

I can see that happening. Strong Reviews, positive fan reaction (unlike TLJ).

Honestly, I think given the middling success of Justice League, DC and Warner Bros need to radically rethink their entire approach to world building and characterization. Firstly lose Zack Snyder ASAP because his ponderous directorial style is just not great. I recently watched JL and it was pedestrian in terms of its pacing and the action scenes. I think Synder's fundamental problem is he likes these languid bullshots which are showy versus the more kinetic style you see in the Marvel films, and they just aren't all that engaging.

I can see that happening. Strong Reviews, positive fan reaction (unlike TLJ).

Honestly, I think given the middling success of Justice League, DC and Warner Bros need to radically rethink their entire approach to world building and characterization. Firstly lose Zack Snyder ASAP because his ponderous directorial style is just not great. I recently watched JL and it was pedestrian in terms of its pacing and the action scenes. I think Synder's fundamental problem is he likes these languid bullshots which are showy versus the more kinetic style you see in the Marvel films, and they just aren't all that engaging.

The joke is that not a single MCU movie (or TLJ for that matter) have been able to touch the widely maligned Jurassic World. "It's spectacle people eat up" can get you a bit, but breaking past 1.5 takes something truly special, if not quality then certainly hype.

EBE

I wish Snyder had a LARGER role in Justice League. Too bad what happened.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I wish Snyder had a LARGER role in Justice League. Too bad what happened.

I find it hilarious when people say Snyder was the issue with JL when his version of the film is basically no where in JL.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

They are a decade away from making their Infinity War but their movies are tainted

So true! And on top of that they can't seem to even make a great movie with their top line characters. Marvel is doing it with their 3rd string people lol.

I find it hilarious when people say Snyder was the issue with JL when his version of the film is basically no where in JL.

Because Syner's look is cool, but his movies in the DCEU are just not good. Definitely not great.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I would loved to have seen it. I think Man of Steel is great. Bvs was good too.

Man of Steel is still my favorite super hero movie by far.

BvS was ok. The extended cut is much better but you can tell the rumors of WB forcing more Batman in the cut is obvious and the movie suffers from it tremendously.

I personally feel like BvS would of been a better movie after Justice League since they basically were a part 1 and 2 and if the plot lines would of been properly told and not cut off by WB bringing in Wheadon, both movies would of been better.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I think they will be ok since BP still has a higher RT score than IW. :p

But I think there are some butthurt TFA and TLJ fans out there right now though.
Even though I don't think Black Panther is that special, Infinity War gets docked points simply because you need to watch all or most previous Avengers movies to appreciate it.

MaulerX

Weekend actuals had the movie at $257,698,183 domestic and $640 million worldwide. Beat TFA by $10 million (domestic 3 day weekend) and beat The Fate of the Furious by $100 million (worldwide weekend debut). Insane numbers to say the least.

Amakusa

Whats up with all the Black Panther hate? I don't think anyone cares about it no longer being first place, it was a Avengers Origin movie dude, Cap got his, Iron man got his, Hulk got his, Thor got his. Ant-man got his, Wisp are getting hers... that's it.. he's a big member of the Avengers, so they wanted to give him his own movie.

Last edited:
Whats up with all the Black Panther hate? I don't think anyone cares about it no longer being first place, it was a Avengers Origin movie dude, Cap got his, Iron man got his, Hulk got his, Thor got his. Ant-man got his, Wisp are getting hers... that's it.. he's a big member of the Avengers, so they wanted to give him his own movie.

Nobody (i.e very few people) hates Black Panther. A lot of people, me included, probably think it's overhyped, but that's calling it a 8/10 movie rather than a 10/10. It's still good.

mckmas8808

Nobody (i.e very few people) hates Black Panther. A lot of people, me included, probably think it's overhyped, but that's calling it a 8/10 movie rather than a 10/10. It's still good.

Twitter can be the worse thing to read sometimes, because there's plenty of people that hate Black Panther. Over the last 6 months, I've grown to understand how to view comments on Twitter. And with the way people have talked about Black Panther and this new Kanye West (free thinking) stuff, it's 100% realized. You just can't take that stuff seriously. Dumb people will always say dumb things.

Twitter can be the worse thing to read sometimes, because there's plenty of people that hate Black Panther. Over the last 6 months, I've grown to understand how to view comments on Twitter. And with the way people have talked about Black Panther and this new Kanye West (free thinking) stuff, it's 100% realized. You just can't take that stuff seriously. Dumb people will always say dumb things.

Well you can always expect a certain type of person to do their thing. They did it with Ghostbusters, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Star Wars, and they will with Captain Marvel. Par the course.

mckmas8808

Well you can always expect a certain type of person to do their thing. They did it with Ghostbusters, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Star Wars, and they will with Captain Marvel. Par the course.

Yep! Anything that doesn't put the "white" "straight" "man" at the literal center of all attention and heroism, means that it's political correctness and so-called "agendas" being pushed. It's getting so tiring. But I guess this is where the next culture war is being fought. Shonda Rhimes getting $100 Million to do programming on Netflix, Ryan Coogler being one of the next big movie Director, minority and new women superheroes are almost seen as a threat.

Kadayi

Banned
Can it pass $2 billion (worldwide)?

I suspect that's a big ask. I think it's fair to say it should comfortably surpass TLJ in terms of overall numbers (US domestic & Foreign) given it's already beaten TLJ in terms of Foreign BO receipts and China isn't even in the frame until the 11th which has been a traditionally strong market for the Marvel movies, but I don't see it doing TFA numbers in the long term.

llien

Anything that doesn't put the "white" "straight" "man" at the literal center of all attention and heroism, means that it's political correctness and so-called "agendas" being pushed.
I thought StarWars team quite openly stated its intentions, so at least in that case it's hard to deny "agenda pushing".

Top Bottom