• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 05•25-27•18 - Solo opens so low, Deadpool 2 continues to do so-so, and Infinity War crawls closer to 2B WW

xaosslug

bXjx3SH.jpg
gpuSeXE.jpg
BK7an2a.jpg
tPWEs9E.jpg
HT4VpiO.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
71% Solo: A Star Wars Story
9wcOG.gif
82% Deadpool 2
kavuF.gif
83% Avengers: Infinity War
3Pj0x.gif
57% Book Club
5f4ew.gif
38% Life of the Party
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
n/a How Long Will I Love U

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Looks to Edge Past $100 Million For Holiday Weekend

Estimates for “Solo: A Star Wars Story” are continuing to fly low.

Disney and Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars” prequel is now looking to make $101 million in North America during its four-day holiday weekend debut. The Han Solo origin film’s three-day estimate currently hovers around $83 million.

Tracking earlier this week suggested “Solo” would lift off with $130 million to $150 million. The film, directed by Ron Howard, follows Alden Ehrenreich as a young Han Solo, who befriends his future co-pilot and Wookie companion Chewbacca, and meets the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover). Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Paul Bettany, Joonas Suotamo, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge round out the cast.

Early estimates predicted “Solo” could secure the best Memorial Day weekend opening, but it looks like “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” will continue to hold the crown with its $139.8 million in 2007.

“Solo,” the second standalone “Star Wars” anthology film, has fallen far behind 2016’s “Rogue One,” which landed a three-day weekend opening of $155 million. The most recent installment in the franchise — “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” — opened less than six months ago. The second film in “Star Wars'” sequel trilogy debuted with $220 million domestically.

With “Solo” as the only new release of the weekend, the rest of the North American box office will be bolstered by a number of holdovers.

“Deadpool 2” should easily score the second slot, heading for a $42 million three-day sophomore frame and a four-day total of around $54 million. As of Friday, the superhero sequel starring Ryan Reynolds has earned $176.8 million.

The fifth weekend of “Avengers: Infinity War” looks to land in third. The Marvel blockbuster is looking at a $16.9 million three-day estimate, along with a four-day number of $22.1 million.

In fourth should be Paramount’s “Book Club.” The romantic comedy is aiming for $9.6 million in its second weekend. If its four-day cume reaches $12.3 million, that would put “Book Club’s” domestic tally at $34.5 million. “Life of the Party” should round out the top five with around $5 million in its third frame.

“Solo” still boosts the domestic box office 23.1% compared to Memorial Day weekend in 2017, according to comScore. Meanwhile, the year-to-date box office continues its positive trajectory with 7.6%.

“Despite the fact that ‘Solo’ performed softer than many had projected, a hugely competitive and crowded marketplace gave the industry one of the better performing Memorial holiday weekend totals,” said box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:
It's not to late to retcon Rian Johnson's mistake right? Luke awakens and it was just a dream. They give arc for characters and reasons for their existence. Right? It's not too late?

thanos-snaps-his-fingers.jpg

Last edited:
Disney has well and truly bungled Star Wars pretty good haven't they?

And I'm not even a Last Jedi hater, in fact I think it's the best Disney Star Wars so far because it's at least not a rehash.

But I can't work up the enthusiasm to see Solo, Harrison Ford is the one and only Han Solo.

womfalcs3

Banned
What killed Star Wars was the rapid fire schedule. We had 6 movies in what? 25 years? Disney just released 4 movies in less than 3.

Last edited:
The Last Jedi effect. It killed the good will for Star Wars.

At least I genuinely had no idea how Last Jedi was going to play out, contrast that with Force Awakens which simply rehashed A New Hope beat for beat.

I think a lot of people who hate the movie are too caught up in all the "The Force is female" bullshit that surrounded the movie, which is understandable, but doesn't really have a major impact on the movie itself.

What killed Star Wars was the rapid fire schedule. We had 6 movies in what? 25 years? Disney just released 4 movies in less than 3.

I think that's really what it comes down to, Disney is going too far too fast, we don't need a new Star Wars movie every year, waiting only two years in between the Episodes is too short, it should be 3 years like the prior films and we don't need a new spinoff every other year.

Star Wars is fast losing it's mystique, back when a new Star Wars movie was a once in a blue moon thing, an actual event, it got the public's attention, but every year? Interest is fading fast.

Lucas just had to go and blow it at the end there, he couldn't either do the job of ushering in a new generation of filmmakers into the Star Wars universe himself or be content that it was over, no, he had to sell it all to a money grubbing corporation that is swiftly bleeding it dry, Star Wars could have had an actual lasting legacy as this special thing, instead it's probably going to down in history as something people are sick of.

I feel bad for the guy, I really do, I've always been of the mind that the Prequels are not as bad as people make them out to be, flawed to be sure, but was it really worth all the vitriol? (and I say that as a fan of Red Letter Media, who kickstarted their career with vitriol about the Prequels)

But oh well, we'll always have that original trilogy.

Last edited:

Denton

At least I genuinely had no idea how Last Jedi was going to play out, contrast that with Force Awakens which simply rehashed A New Hope beat for beat.

If you remove the rehashing but do not replace it with any good writing or characters, you will still end up with shit, even if it is not rehashed shit.

The problem is though, TLJ is still, to a significant degree, not just shit, but rehashed shit. There are scenes in it that are like bad remake of Empire/RotJ.

Prequels had their flaws, each of them, but I will take any of them any day over TLJ or TFA.

You are right about the oversaturation though, Disney, Kennedy and their milking have successfully removed the "Event" feeling from Star Wars. How sad is that.

Last edited:
My interest in Star Wars has been fading fast for a while and I went in to Last Jedi with rock bottom expectations, almost not wanting to see it at all.

So just by virtue of the fact that it wasn't a beat for beat rehash of Empire pleased me, that it actually contained some surprising moments pleased me, I had a good time overall but keep in my mind I basically don't give a shit about Star Wars anymore, so I'm not at all the final word on it.

Though my gut instinct tells me that it at least has its moments, I don't think it's a terrible movie at least.

Grinchy

Banned
I just don't think that inherently makes TLJ a better movie. You know how Titanic is going to end before you see it, but that says nothing of its quality as a film compared to other movies that tell new stories.

TFA may have tried to mirror ANH, but at least it did it well. TLJ is just a complete mess of storytelling and doesn't do anything particularly well. To say it's automatically a better movie just because it's not mirroring as much from previous entries just doesn't seem like sound logic to me. To each his own, though!

Last edited:
The Force Awakens was a decent stab at Star Wars. TLJ and Solo are the dual vampires that will eat away at the franchise health. They need to push Episode 9 far away into the future and make amends with the true fans that will see it multiple times. I saw TFA 2 times and it wasn't even that good. Contradicting, I know. Bring back Snoke! Retcon Luke!

I will see a good film more than once. Especially if it's long and I seemed to have missed something.

I dident bother to see it as I hated The Last Jedi. Also its a movie that no one asked for as many people wanted an Obi Wan movie instead of a Han Solo movie.

MayauMiao

I have yet to see Solo. Maybe I'll watch it 2 weeks later when ticket is cheaper. I may even skip it and wait for it to come on HBO.

At this point Star Wars franchise is becoming stale and the magic that the original trilogy had is gone.

Also, no Obi Wan movie. Kathleen Kennedy already fucked up the Jedi mythology with TLJ.

OH-MyCar

I honestly don't think Solo is inherently awful: It was George Lucas's idea, Ron Howard did Willow and I already grew up with other people playing Harrison Ford in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

That out of the way: as an old, diehard fan? I can't even get excited if they "got it right" when they've already compromised the bigger picture as much as they have. I'm out. TLJ genuinely broke Star Wars for me and I've lost all interest in anything after 2014, regardless of cameos, regardless of where it exists on a timeline.

Seraphym

Saw Solo on Saturday, and had really low expectations, overall enjoyed it. Probably more than Deadpool 2.
For context loved Force Awakens, saw Rogue One multiple times and disliked Last Jedi...

cryptoadam

Banned
So is IW going to fall short of BP?

Its dropping fast and we are starting to hit summer time with mulitple block busters coming each week. I don't know if it will have the legs to get to 700 Mill domestic.

So is IW going to fall short of BP?

Its dropping fast and we are starting to hit summer time with mulitple block busters coming each week. I don't know if it will have the legs to get to 700 Mill domestic.

It'll be lucky to cross over 400mill. I think most of the good Disney movies usually cross 200 mil easily and 600 to 1bn like it's a usual thing.
With that considered, I don't think this movie will make it. But, who knows? Usually opening weekends are indicative as to how the movie will do overall and this isn't looking good for Solo.

cryptoadam

Banned
It'll be lucky to cross over 400mill. I think most of the good Disney movies usually cross 200 mil easily and 600 to 1bn like it's a usual thing.
With that considered, I don't think this movie will make it. But, who knows? Usually opening weekends are indicative as to how the movie will do overall and this isn't looking good for Solo.

I mean Avengers infinty war, not Solo :)

at 621 and what it took in this weekend I don't know if it can make it to 700 domestic.

I mean Avengers infinty war, not Solo :)

at 621 and what it took in this weekend I don't know if it can make it to 700 domestic.

Oh, my comprehension isn't at it's best this morning. I think IW will be able to, but at the same time, movies are heading to the front room so fast these days. I saw A Quiet Place on Blu-Ray just last night (loved it) It's due out sometime in June. (don't ask me how I got the legit blu-ray) :p

The movie to own will be IW on 4k Blu-Ray, though! Can't wait to get my hands on that one. But back on topic, it will depend on how fast they put IW on disc. Sometimes movies are still out in theaters and they are also on disc as well. IW does have legs.

iamblades

This is the first Star Wars movie I haven't seen in the first weekend, and I really have no desire to see it really.

I'm not sure exactly why that is, some combination of it being a story that no one asked for or needed really with the completely underwhelmed feeling TLJ left me with.

At least the prequel trilogy left me feeling thoroughly annoyed and irritated. TLJ was just a great big nothing for me, it was just drained of emotion and feeling, even when it should have been highly emotional if you listed out the character beats..

I couldn't even muster up enough energy to join the backlash when everyone was hating on it even though I agree with most of the criticisms, but the sheer nihilism of the movie left me more apathetic than angry.

Or maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't think so, because I love what Marvel is doing lately. I think TLJ may have legitimately ruined Star Wars in a way that even Attack of the Clones never managed.

Last edited:

Fnord

I think a lot of people who hate the movie are too caught up in all the "The Force is female" bullshit that surrounded the movie, which is understandable, but doesn't really have a major impact on the movie itself.

The Force Awakens was disappointing because it was simply a rehash of A New Hope. But at least it set things up for the rest of the trilogy reasonably well. The Last Jedi was a bad movie and a terrible Star Wars movie. I'm "meh" on TFA. I actively loathe TLJ. And no, it has nothing to do with anything except what was up on the screen. I'll probably see Solo, but I've been in no hurry to do so. And I'll hold off until many, many positive reviews (from folks I trust) come in for the next entry in the main storyline.

Fnord

This is the first Star Wars movie I haven't seen in the first weekend, and I really have no desire to see it really.

I'm not sure exactly why that is, some combination of it being a story that no one asked for or needed really with the completely underwhelmed feeling TLJ left me with.

For me, it's partly because of how horribly botched TLJ was. But, and I think this is actually a bigger factor, upon reflection, I don't think I really need to see Han Solo's backstory. We already know plenty from the main movies. And his character is such that a bit of mystery suits him. I would MUCH rather have seen a Lando movie.

I just don't think that inherently makes TLJ a better movie. You know how Titanic is going to end before you see it, but that says nothing of its quality as a film compared to other movies that tell new stories.

Titanic is based on a true story, Star Wars is predicated on the Flash Gordon, movie serial suspense of cliffhangers, not knowing how things are going to play out is crucial to the experience.

trikster40

And I'm not even a Last Jedi hater, in fact I think it's the best Disney Star Wars so far because it's at least not a rehash.

But I can't work up the enthusiasm to see Solo, Harrison Ford is the one and only Han Solo.

Go watch solo, Alden did an incredible job. He represented Han well. Trust me, a lot of people who go watch it actually want a sequel.

Go watch solo, Alden did an incredible job. He represented Han well. Trust me, a lot of people who go watch it actually want a sequel.

It's doing better on RT with audiences than TLJ. I might give it a watch before it dies in the theaters. The only thing about Solo that kinda throws me off is Woody Harrelson. (wtflol) But after seeing some GAF members say it's a pretty good movie on average I think I might be willing to give it some support. I also want to see Donald Glover for myself and see what's up with this "I want to fuck everything" vibe Haha.

I actively loathe TLJ. And no, it has nothing to do with anything except what was up on the screen.

I'm not at all saying that anyone who didn't like TLJ was because of political reasons, but I have noticed on Youtube especially a lot of TLJ criticism is wrapped up in anti-feminism.

Eh, I'll see it, but it's a question of whether I'll see it in theaters.

Going to the movies is really expensive these days and I may just wait for Redbox.

pramod

Banned
Both TFA and TLJ are horribly botched and made me lose all interest in Star Wars. Instead of doing something new and interesting they decided to rehash Rebels Vs Empire all over again with less engaging characters. These movies is the most wasted opportunity of all time.

Codes 208

Both TFA and TLJ are horribly botched and made me lose all interest in Star Wars. Instead of doing something new and interesting they decided to rehash Rebels Vs Empire all over again with less engaging characters. These movies is the most wasted opportunity of all time.
I wouldnt say they botched TFA. Overall it was enjoyable albeit a bit safe for a full-fledged title. Rogue One was also pretty entertaining for what it was.

There is however NO redeemable value about TLJ. Worse than the prequels IMO.

Rian Johnson's revenge.

His "revenge" is akin to a toilet 'plop' he doesn't get to dictate where the franchise goes, the audience will. Not even the mighty critics.
They move on to other shit to review and shit on without remorse.
If Disney even holds critics reviews in regards, then I see that as just plain, old, sad.

They will do right by the fans or fail continuously. The fans have already spoken. Money has been spent, but in the same vein they already said "we don't need this shit" Myself included.

Disney could have really had something great, but the execution has been pretty awful. I say let it go. We no longer need new Star Wars movies in our lives, because the new movies aren't what people loved about Star Wars to begin with.

You want to see a new Star Wars movie in 2018? Why? Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. Good advice, and advice the people who didn't go to see Solo seemed to take to heart.

Kadayi

Banned
I wouldnt say they botched TFA. Overall it was enjoyable albeit a bit safe for a full-fledged title.

From a creative perspective, they did. There were any number of ways to go with a Star Wars universe Post-Empire and Emperor, but no, lets instead just do The Empire 2.0 as the enemy, with those same old same old things everyone is familiar with in terms of iconography (Tie Fighters, Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers, etc) just with a slight twist in terms of styling, versus coming up with something completely new and genuinely imaginative.

pramod

Banned
From a creative perspective, they did. There were any number of ways to go with a Star Wars universe Post-Empire and Emperor, but no, lets instead just do The Empire 2.0 as the enemy, with those same old same old things everyone is familiar with in terms of iconography (Tie Fighters, Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers, etc) just with a slight twist in terms of styling, versus coming up with something completely new and genuinely imaginative.

Not to mention Death Star 3.0.
"Mainline" Star Wars is pretty much dead to me. I loved what they did with Rogue One and I think it filled in all the gaps in the OT for me and I'm satisfied if there are no more spinoffs or side stories based on the OT.

Last edited:

llien

So, Solo, 3.3/5 rating among humans, as expected.

Hm, better than "Rogue One"?

I'm not at all saying that anyone who didn't like TLJ was because of political reasons, but I have noticed on Youtube especially a lot of TLJ criticism is wrapped up in anti-feminism.
But how can one criticize the movie dubbed as one of the most "feminist" movies (pushing some outright scary narratives) and not end up being "anti-(at least that sort of)-feminist"?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Not to mention Death Star 3.0.
"Mainline" Star Wars is pretty much dead to me. I loved what they did with Rogue One and I think it filled in all the gaps in the OT for me and I'm satisfied if there are no more spinoffs or side stories based on the OT.
Im pretty certain theyre still making an obi-wan spinoff

I always assumed from when I was a kid that a sequel trilogy would be delving into the history and origin of the Jedi, Luke exploring the Galaxy, trying to piece it together, more of an almost Indiana Jones adventure than a battle to take down a hugely powerful enemy.

TLJ teases some of that stuff but it's mostly background, there's so many interesting directions they could have taken it.

Disney could have really had something great, but the execution has been pretty awful. I say let it go. We no longer need new Star Wars movies in our lives, because the new movies aren't what people loved about Star Wars to begin with.

You want to see a new Star Wars movie in 2018? Why? Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. Good advice, and advice the people who didn't go to see Solo seemed to take to heart.

See, that quote, "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." is why TLJ kinda worked for me, it was like an acknowledgement that this has all become a big nostalgiawank and it's time to shake things up.

Hm, better than "Rogue One"?

I found Rogue One to be painfully boring, like literally from the start I was bored, it just didn't grab me.

I didn't hate it, it did have some cool, striking imagery, but it struck me as hollow, I just didn't care about the characters.

Xiaoki

It's doing better on RT with audiences than TLJ. I might give it a watch before it dies in the theaters. The only thing about Solo that kinda throws me off is Woody Harrelson. (wtflol) But after seeing some GAF members say it's a pretty good movie on average I think I might be willing to give it some support. I also want to see Donald Glover for myself and see what's up with this "I want to fuck everything" vibe Haha.
Its an alright film, I would not say its "pretty good". I didnt hate it but I also never plan to watch it again. The only thing I didnt like are the things that they threw in to explain Han's character. Seemed like they were just ticking off a checklist of his character traits and iconic imagery.

Woody Harrelson's character and acting is fine but its very apparent its Woody Harrelson. I wasnt thrown off in a similar manner by Emilia Clarke.

There is no "I want to fuck everything" vibe to Lando. He's playboy-ish and thats about it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You literally couldn't be further from the truth. So many people are so wrong with what Disney did to Star Wars. It truly shows me how much bubble think can kill a conversation. Get out of your bubble and realize that in the real world, Star Wars is bigger than ever!

Solo opened a week after blockbuster Deadpool 2 movie and a month after an Avengers movie (that's still doing great in the movie theaters). Of course, it wouldn't make record-setting money. And it doesn't help that they put out one movie a year. But making $100 million in the first weekend is still good when it's not even a mainline Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't think Deadpool 2 brought enough of the humor that I loved from Deadpool 1 in it.

The action was easily superior in 2, and the laughs it did have hit harder than in 1...but I kind of just laughed consistently in the first one whereas in the second one it was a lot more spread out.

gioGAF

TLJ erased all good faith the Star Wars brand had with me. It took it from an "automatic watch in theaters" to a "not interested unless people I trust are all over it". The reviews for Solo were lukewarm at best, my interest was low, so I haven't seen it yet. I look forward to commenting about it once I get around to streaming it from somewhere.

I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as TLJ, which would be a difficult feat since TLJ set the bar so low it would be difficult to sink to that.

manfestival

Looks like the movie got some mindshare after everyone stopped having actual expectations of the movie and were told to treat the movie as a popcorn flick over a star wars movie. Not sure how I feel about it, since it is a star wars movie at the end of the day. Just not one that has an impact on the actual main story.

BANGS

Banned
Deadpool was fucking awesome, watching Solo tomorrow night, and still have yet to see Avengers. I'll check it out one day, doesn't seem like I'm missing much based on what I've heard...

Dacon

Banned

Even ignoring that there's just so much wrong with the film that it really rubbed people the wrong way, especially fans of Luke, the film completely butchers his character. I could go on and on about all of the dumb things and stuff that just don't make sense in this film, and that's the problem.

manfestival

Deadpool was fucking awesome, watching Solo tomorrow night, and still have yet to see Avengers. I'll check it out one day, doesn't seem like I'm missing much based on what I've heard...
ok so like avengers doesn't need the money or anything but really... out of those 3 movies to see at the theaters. Your priority should easily be the avengers. It has everything, including depression. I doubt solo will do that to you unless you are looking at its performance.

MayauMiao

Can you blame them?

The hate for Kathleen Kennedy stem from the fact that she emphasize female gender in the name of feminism.

Its especially annoying when majority of Star Wars fans are male and the she had the nerve to rub it in their face with this cringeworthy moment.

ZvPEFCj.jpg

Top Bottom