• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed and Indiana Jones Previews coming June 10th - Insider Gaming

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://insider-gaming.com/indiana-jones-avowed/

Avowed and Indiana Jones previews will be shown on June 10th, one day after the Xbox Games Showcase.
Insider Gaming has learned that both Avowed and Indiana Jones and The Great Circle will be playable to select media outlets and content creators at this year’s Summer Game Fest. According to those familiar with the plans, both games are expected to be shown at this year’s Xbox Games Showcase, with previews from the hands-on going live on June 10.
Avowed and Indiana Jones have been given a vague 2024 release date, so we’re reasonably confident that both games will also get a definite release date at the event.

During the January 2024 developer direct, we already got a decent look at both Obsidian Entertainment’s Avowed and Bethesda’s Indiana Jones and as we’ll be getting hands-on previews soon after the showcase, we wouldn’t expect anything more than hype trailers and release dates this time around.
As for other games at the Xbox Games Showcase, keep your eyes peeled on Insider Gaming for the latest, as we’ll have more details soon.
Immediately following the Xbox Games Showcase on June 9, Xbox will also hold a unique Black Ops 6 direct, which will offer an unprecedented deep-dive into the game.

I was kind of disappointed by the Avowed showing. I hope it's a good game, but the recent gameplay reveal looked like the wish version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I really don't care for the lack of physical weight and impact the combat has and the attack stutter in first person just looks awful.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Hands on previews for Indy will be interesting, hopefully both of them get solid release dates at the showcase too.
I barely have any questions about Indiana Jones at all honestly. Seems like it'll have some light puzzles, FPS stuff, FP melee / whip stuff, and more of that eerily good Troy Baker Harrison Ford impression.

rm082e

I have no real interest in Indiana Jones, even though I dig Machine Games. I've just never cared about that IP outside of Last Crusade being a good movie.

Avowed might be cool, but it needs to be more than another Outer Worlds game with a different coat of paint. I'll pay attention when it comes out and people are playing it for reals.

Saber

Damn, with all the crap that MS is doing I fear for Indiana games. Hope it ends up good, but cheez its hard to not have bad feelings about it.

Last edited:
Microsoft isn’t looking for highly rated games that break the 90 barrier? What are you smoking?
They will be happy if they get that. But their games make little effort to achieve that.

A couple of examples, Grounded, Sea of Thieves. Neither of them is made to get 90+ metascore. Yet have millions of players. I personally rate them very highly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They will be happy if they get that. But their games make little effort to achieve that.

A couple of examples, Grounded, Sea of Thieves. Neither of them is made to get 90+ metascore. Yet have millions of players. I personally rate them very highly.
Every AAA game is designed to be as highly rated as possible. No one designs a game only arriving to get a 70-80 average score.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Every AAA game is designed to be as highly rated as possible. No one designs a game only arriving to get a 70-80 average score.
AAA games are designed to make a profit above all else, appeasing some review site employees is very low on the priority list, way below pleasing the shareholders.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Going to be interesting to see what comes out from both Avowed and Indy. Avowed just didn’t look impressive or particularly interesting and hopefully I am wrong there.

For Indy, I am just worried they got the “Message” in there for the “Modern Audiences” and it turns out about as “good” as the last two movies.

StereoVsn

It’s gonna be super woke and bad. The precious machine head games title was awful for that reason

They will absolutely triple down on it.
Yeah, that’s my fear as well. They will fuck it up. What’s kind of amusing is that their audience ain’t who they are pandering to. Gen Z couldn’t give a flying f about Indiana Jones.

JCK75

I hope IJ is amazing.. I was obsessed with it as a kid.. to the point my guidance counselors should have been repremanded for seriously setting me up on a path into archaeology when they should have sat me down and explained it's digging and brushing off old shit not walking around the jungle with a whip and stetson.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
AAA games are designed to make a profit above all else, appeasing some review site employees is very low on the priority list, way below pleasing the shareholders.

And the best way to do that is by achieving high scores amongst reviewed, as much as I detest them.

You aren’t going to sell 10+ million copies on a game that reviews 60 or 70 on average, unless it is a well established franchise going on near two decades of releases.

This isn’t complicated.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Cool I’m really looking forward to these two games. Indiana could be a unique experience if done right. I’m hoping they are taking a lot of inspiration from the riddick games.
A lot of the jailbreaking in Riddick could easily be transposed to raiding lost tombs.

Deerock71

I hope IJ is amazing.. I was obsessed with it as a kid.. to the point my guidance counselors should have been repremanded for seriously setting me up on a path into archaeology when they should have sat me down and explained it's digging and brushing off old shit not walking around the jungle with a whip and stetson.
I think I know you. Do you live in Montana?

Laptop1991

Interested to see more of Indiana Jones, i liked the first reveal, but Avowed will have to do a lot better than at the beginning of the year to get me back on board, what they showed didn't impress me at all and infact put me off the game. and i really liked The Outer Worlds for what it was, a AA game that was made like the RPG's of old were with the silent dialogue options etc, it was never a Fallout New Vegas size game or a clone.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Just curious about Indiana , being a FPS it's a letdown since those kind of games fits better on 3rd person for me ( Tomb Rider, Uncharted)

Also the IP is weak these days, latests movies are average. Also Bethesda's writters are lame and an Indi Game needs a great story SO do not have great expectactions.

intbal

I haven't forgotten this.

MJGXTpB.jpeg

I don't know why anyone would be expecting good things out of this Indiana Jones game.

intbal

Dude looks legit mentally challenged. Reminds me of the grown up special kid from South Park. The one who constantly fights with Jimmy and Timmy.
Even hideous looking people can still make good things.
However, in the video he specifically stated they were making it "for a modern gaming audience".
That phrase is the kiss of death for any video game.

Hopefully, he's only in charge of the cutscenes. Which we can also hopefully skip.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I was kind of disappointed by the Avowed showing. I hope it's a good game, but the recent gameplay reveal looked like the wish version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I really don't care for the lack of physical weight and impact the combat has and the attack stutter in first person just looks awful.
same. It kinda lost me.

And, I’m afraid to say it, but Obsidian is not the same company that wrote Fallout New Vegas or Pillars of Enternity, or Alpha Protocol.

This is the company that wrote Outer Worlds…. A toothless slog.

XXL

I'm cautiously optimistic for Avowed, but if I'm being honest the reveal wasn't great.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it and I'm interested to see more.

I guess some short trailers during the main showcase. But I guess they are not doing Xbox Showcase extended anymore but rather separate events.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess some short trailers during the main showcase. But I guess they are not doing Xbox Showcase extended anymore but rather separate events.

They might still do that, but this just sounds like both games will also have playable kiosks or sessions for outlets.

DaGwaphics

Hands on previews for Indy will be interesting, hopefully both of them get solid release dates at the showcase too.

If no delays, this will be the most packed year we've had on GP. Maybe they will do a VR mod for Indy, would be a good fit being mostly first person.

Nydius

Gold Member
I hope Avowed looks better than it did in past reveals. I still expect it to be delayed, especially after Jez Corden’s tweet yesterday confirming Obsidian migrated to Unreal 5.3 and have The Coalition helping them with optimization.

This also doesn’t fill me with hope of a 60fps mode at launch. UE5.3 almost certainly means 30fps on both systems and horrid dynamic res scaling on the Series S.

Top Bottom