• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome demo, but game turns out like crap?

Muppet345

A Black Falcon said:
Dungeon Siege! The demo is short enough that you don't notice the incredible tedium that doing that for dozens more hours brings... I liked the demo, but after getting it barely got past the point where the demo ends. So, so repetitive... there were other problems too, but the biggest one was just how little you actually had to do. Click on enemies... hit potion buttons as needed... wait... click to move to edge of screen... repeat... (it could really have used a decent map and direct movement too...)
First thing I thought of. And even with how terrible it was, I played it all summer. Augh.

Carlisle

I don't know about demos being better than the final product, but I have a few instances where the final product was much better than the demo.

DQ8:
When I played it at E3, it seemed fine, but certainly nothing special. The final version of the game, though, was the most phenomenal RPG I'd played in years.

FFXII:
Demo totally turned me off. I played for 10 seconds and turned it off in disgust. The final version, however, has proven to be the best Final Fantasy game to date.

Hatorade said:
QFT the saving killed it for me I could tolerate the gameplay but doing my crap before saving and my lack of time just made me say f it.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person to bail on that game due to the annoying save system. I got tired of forgetting to save and having to go back and re-do it. Again and again. And then you miss an interesting aspect of the story but you'll never see it unless you restart the game. And play through the same stuff yet again.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm really enjoying the Dark Messiah demo, but I get the feeling i've pretty much done everything I really want todo with this game.

squicken

After the first Area 51 demo I thought the game was going to be the sleeper hit of the year. The second demo and the retail release were totally meh.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Oh, and I played the wifi demo of Meteos like 100 times, bought the full game, played it through once and then put it in a drawer.

Methodis

Banned
I played Halo on a exhibition disc and loved it and picked up the full game but I just didn't "get it". Halo's certainly not crap but it just wasn't for me.

Top Spin 2 dissapointed me. I HATED Top Spin 1, so I downloaded the Top Spin 2 Demo just to laugh at the game and ended up LOVING it. I ended up trading Burnout Revenge for it and found out I had more fun with the demo :(. Prey and Condemned dissapointed me too, not as good as their demos. Call of Duty 2. None of those games are shit, but just wherent as good as the demo to me.

Any of the Total War games.

Starcraft somehow managed to include an entirely unique campaign in it's demo that was better than the one it shipped with.

I think alot of the XBLA titles are applicable. Who needs more than one level of Joust, Frogger, or Smash TV? Smash TV especially is more fun the less you are allowed to play of it.

MGS2 and Dead Rising. Especially DR. Because in the demo you could switch off your brain and slayed zombies.
In the full game the incoming calls by this black old man where so annoying and the bosses were mostly stupid...
And you HAD to do this.....

8bit

Knows the Score
Saints Row.

I kind of enjoyed the demo, but the full game seems to be little more than the occasional interesting mission sandwiched between too much minigame grinding.

Klotera

Well - Soldier of Fortune 2 wasn't bad. In fact, it was pretty good (multiplayer, at least).

However, the multi-player map in the demo did end up being the best map in the game and the one that was played most. Also, the single player was boring.

MrSingh said:
wait, no one is willing to risk getting banned by saying lost planet?

Hey, not fair, I didn't get a chance to post yet. Seriously though, I think the Demo for Lost Planet was pretty awesome but I can't stand collecting the energy to stay alive in any of my games, just ruins the experience. Hate to shit on it some more, but I also have to re-iterate my dislike for Dead Rising after playing the demo. Demo, very enjoyable, just kill mother****ing zombies in cool ways. Full game, you're timed (which I hate, see the trend), and I gotta find some place to piss before I can save, boooo. Hmmmm, that's funny, maybe I just don't like Capcom games.

bumpkin

I remember when I got to play the demo of the new Sonic on the 360, I thought it seemed really cool. Sure, there were the camera quirks and a little steering weirdness when Sonic's moving very fast, but both were workable.

Now I'm seeing reviews where the game is getting trashed -- didn't Gamespot give it a 4.4? -- and now I'm not so sure I want it anymore; I put down five bones at EB to reserve it, mostly because of the cool Sonic figurine.

Can anyone confirm nor deny GS' score? Is the game really *that* bad?

Methodis said:
I played Halo on a exhibition disc and loved it and picked up the full game but I just didn't "get it". Halo's certainly not crap but it just wasn't for me.

Top Spin 2 dissapointed me. I HATED Top Spin 1, so I downloaded the Top Spin 2 Demo just to laugh at the game and ended up LOVING it. I ended up trading Burnout Revenge for it and found out I had more fun with the demo :(. Prey and Condemned dissapointed me too, not as good as their demos. Call of Duty 2. None of those games are shit, but just wherent as good as the demo to me.

Hey, now! Condemned gets better and better as the game progresses.

Methodis said:
I got up to the school level and didn't have as much fun or as fear as the first level.

So you played about 1/5 or 1/4 of the game? The scariest shit happens about midway through (department store....)

Top Bottom