• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome otaku rooms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Flek said:
ZtiEo.png

is that seriously....a 3D head sticking off the hood?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't say I'm a fan of the serious entries in the thread.

The first room (with the kanji on the floor) is a relatively nice room. I like the plants. I like the floor stain. Very nice loft ceilings. The floor stain goes great with the wall/ceiling paint. Relatively clean. The windows are great. The furniture is nice. I like the chair, the bed, and the coffee table. So far so good... the only things I don't like in the room are the tchotchkes and the kanji floor... so in other words, everything about the room that's otaku-related takes away from the room even though it's a pretty nice room.

The second room with the long-hair playing something on TV is similar. The room itself is nice, but the gundam on the coffee table looks stupid, and what on earth is up with the furniture arrangement. The TV stand is not centered, it's off to a side. The TV is then on top of the stand and tilted, rather than parallel to the stand. The coffee table is neither parallel to the TV stand nor the TV. The cords running across the floor also make the setup look messy. In other words, every element of the room that could be considered otaku-ish looks bad.

The Star Wars nerd room is relatively nice. Can't say I like the carpet, but the furniture and room layout is nice. Until you get to the imposing display cases, which look more like a gift shop than a lived in room. There's so much stuff that your eyes become visually distracted, and so the presentation of any one object isn't as nice as it could be. So, again, nice room, except for the Star Wars stuff.

There are very few people that can't benefit from the following room tips:
- If it's on your wall, and it's not mounted or framed, take it off your wall or get it mounted or framed. A nice matte will make everything look nicer, prevent cosmetic damage, draw visual attention.

- If you don't display it properly, you don't give a shit about it. If you have 20 widgets all next to each other, none of them look good. Choose the 5 you like the most and they will look much better. Don't want to get rid of the other 15? Keep them and rotate your display. This goes for everything. Action figures, gachapons, movie props, posters, paintings, everything. Double down. Half the stuff, presented twice as nicely. Human beings have a finite amount of visual focus, not everything can be the center of attention. Almost all of the figurine cases that have 100+ figurines basically get the following reaction: "Holy shit that's a dedicated collector... *waits ten seconds* I can't remember a single thing I saw in that case". Display only your best figurines (or none at all!) and they'll stand out more.

- Probably the one exception to the above is libraries. Libraries (of DVDs, of books, whatever) are generally more about accessibility than they are about aesthetics. The best way you can make them look nice is display things evenly. Don't have a half-empty book shelf. Don't have an over-packed bookshelf. Try to match like-sized things so there's not different sized things everywhere. Consider replacing broken spines, torn or crushed boxes, or anything else that screams "my shit is junk".

- Nothing makes a room look comfortable like a plant. Whether it's plastic office furniture plants or real plants, get a couple. Empty shelf top? Plant.

- You might like using your computer in the dark. I sure do. But rooms look nicer when they're well lit. Incredibly dark spaces with incredibly bright electronics or black lights or other blinding light sources look unwelcoming. Get some lighting.

- Your rug probably looks bad. Yes, it feels nice. Yes, you've had it for a long time. Yes, you probably should have a rug. But yours in particular probably looks bad.

- Every year you buy stuff. Every year you put stuff in places. By the end of the year, you have less space. Spring cleaning is important. Make sure you spend as much time removing old things from rooms as you do adding new ones.

- Clean your shit up jesus christ no one likes piles of garbage. If it doesn't have legs and it isn't a robot vacuum, it shouldn't be on the floor in the open.

Azar

I almost bought Simon's jacket from Gurren Lagann when I saw it in a store once, but I just wasn't sure I could bear to wear it in public. Guess I couldn't stomach a room full of stuff like that, either.

It was a pretty awesome jacket though.

Guevara

The rooms here are half terrifying and half inspirational. I really need to get some organization for my books/games/other media. With all these rooms it just proves that one or two great collectibles is so so much better than flooding the room with cheap crap.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wish I had the money to buy all of that. Tigra must be loaded or she doesn't own any other assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom