• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

AWOMO: Fast streaming download service, with FREE ROME TOTAL WAR

Peronthious

Jan 5, 2008
Virginia
Saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun a bit ago; apparently this AWOMO service, currently in beta, downloads games to your computer and allows you to launch them when the minimum amount of content is downloaded. Currently they're offering Rome: TW for free, though when they get out of beta it looks like they're planning to offer games at retail price. I poked at Rome: TW and it works excellently, was able to play with only 400-500 MB downloaded and that didn't take long at all. Check it out, www.awomo.com

TxdoHawk

Feb 20, 2006
Rutherford, NJ
www.twitter.com
Thanks OP. Interesting service. I'm not thrilled by the fact that I don't get a desktop or start menu shortcut for the game, but I bet I can easily dig up the directory stuff is stored in...and the price is right.

Peronthious

Jan 5, 2008
Virginia
Here's an interview done with the guys behind the service a year ago. From what I gather, it was originally posed as a "Rent to Own" service for computer games, with options to play for free for an amount of time or something to that effect.

Pasco

Banned
Apr 6, 2008
Word to the wise, it won't install on any x64 based systems, only x86. Which sucks because it's an awesome idea that's well executed.

Fragamemnon

Jun 7, 2004
Due to the way that the service works-it transmits blobs of data which are, at runtime, unpacked into temporary locations and mounted on temp drives-running a modded version of the game won't be possible. So no EB with this version.

Though the service itself works like a total champ. Fast download and execution of the game was flawless. So it's an awesome freebie even without that feature, just keep your R:TW discs around and a separate install for EB.

Fio

Nov 1, 2006
There's no excuse now if you haven't played this game. Download it and you are in for a treat. Seriously, this is one of the finest games ever made.

edit.: Only works on IE.

Peronthious

Jan 5, 2008
Virginia
Fio said:
There's no excuse now if you haven't played this game. Download it and you are in for a treat. Seriously, this is one of the finest games ever made.

edit.: Only works on IE.

I had it working just fine in Firefox

CabbageRed

Sep 14, 2004
It is still showing "XP or Vista 32bit" in their system requirements. I wonder if they are using whatever driver it is that is holding GameTap back.