• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge (PS4) coming March 31st for $19.99

Really excited for this but may have to wait. Seems perfect for the Vita and $20 seems a bit much. Maybe I'll change my mind by the release date.

SerTapTap

I guess this thread is why Nintendo is afraid to make a new Metroid. Urg.

Big Metroid fan, but *wow* is this game ever shamelessly going for its style.

After actually playing a couple hours I think it's fair to say the game definitely has a lot of it's own style, though it's also very clearly very metroid inspired. I absolutely love the look myself.

I really want to play this game, price isn't the issue it's the timing. Bloodborne is too high on my list of must plays, and I don't have the time to play more than one game at a time these days.

I'm not a massive fan of the way the game looks like it plays, thus I don't think it's worth $20. Not an old-school Metroid fan. So it's not worth $20. To me.

Thanks for calling my opinion idiotic, though.

A game's price is not set based on how much Einbroch likes that kind of thing.

If it's not worth $20 to you because you don't like that kind of thing, that's fair enough, but other people are claiming it's not worth $20 at all, which is idiotic when they know nothing at all of the final quality of the game.

Sending it to its death at that price. Doesn't matter how much content the game packs, most people will take one look at it and deem it unworthy of that many bucks, just purely because of how retro it looks.

Looks good...but with Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity within a week of it....pass for now.

Anyone have a list of all the indie metroidvanias and their progress? There's so many coming.

Conezays

I guess this thread is why Nintendo is afraid to make a new Metroid. Urg.

After actually playing a couple hours I think it's fair to say the game definitely has a lot of it's own style, though it's also very clearly very metroid inspired. I absolutely love the look myself.

Cool, glad to hear it has some of its own thing going on then.

The developer did mention an estimate on the games length via the PS Blog.

I’m estimating it at around 10 hours (Dan took almost 17 hours but he’s very thorough).

Means that's already bigger than a $60 game.

With these type of games if you want to go for the full % completion, it requires backtracking and map exploration.

Had my eye on this for a while, really looking forward to it now it has a date.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Feel for the guy that spent so long on this alone, but... know thy market. $20 for 8-bit is not a smart move, and don't think I can justify it in a year of back to back incredible releases. We'll see, but probably gonna have to wait on a sale for this, if not seemingly inevitable PS+.

No_Style

I'll play it one day but I'm hung up on how the protagonist looks in media. He looks really messy; it's just a blob of pixels to me.

Samus was more distinctive and vibrant against the stages in Super Metroid.

Feel for the guy that spent so long on this alone, but... know thy market. $20 for 8-bit is not a smart move, and don't think I can justify it in a year of back to back incredible releases. We'll see, but probably gonna have to wait on a sale for this, if not seemingly inevitable PS+.

Well what if this game is one of them ?

pastrami

If it's not worth $20 to you because you don't like that kind of thing, that's fair enough, but other people are claiming it's not worth $20 at all, which is idiotic when they know nothing at all of the final quality of the game.

A lot of it is basically summed up in this thread by Opiate: m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=844910&page=1

Probably day one for me. I want it on Vita, but it's cross-buy and I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Rival

Gold Member
I've been looking forward to this but I question how well it will do at that price. I feel like a lot of people will hold off waiting for a sale. $9.99 is the perfect price point for games like this.

I'll agree in general. This game could be 90 hours long and 20 will still sound too steep at least at first. SImply because I feel that 15 is the recognized unknown indie game price point max, and 20 dollars has been rarely used for bigger, much more hyped releases.

Like, I might pay for it at 20 if it weren't for all the other games coming out, but I think he'll have many less impulse buys.

I think they compare it to what else is out on the market. Games like RE Remake, Grim Fandango, and Outlast go for $20 or less. You look at games that have so much higher production values and wonder why this costs so much. Look at Transistor. That game came and went and was barely talked about. Maybe if they didn't launch at $20.

Launching in a crowded month AND $20?

Risky. Dont think Ill be getting it at launch. Ill be knee deep in Bloodborne and the price pushes out of insta purchase range.

Will get it after after I have cleaned up my backlog though. Game looked and sounds amazing

I think they compare it to what else is out on the market. Games like RE Remake, Grim Fandango, and Outlast go for $20 or less. You look at games that have so much higher production values and wonder why this costs so much. Look at Transistor. That game came and went and was barely talked about. Maybe if they didn't launch at $20.
Are you advocating that games should be priced based on their production values?

On an unrelated note; the price works for me, but it will kill this game. They're going to need a flash sale or something to help bolster the sales of this game. Launching in a very crowded March, at $20 (because of the perceived LOL INDIE THIS SHOULD COST LIKE IPHONE APP PRICES stuff), is going to be very difficult to overcome.

Been looking forward to this so great to finally have a date. The game seems to be targeting a core audience so I don't know how much the price will affect it. Shovel Knight did well at $15 despite it's appearance.

Some of the responses in here though man, and you wonder why publishers are afraid to take risks...

inki

Hells yeah! This has been on my radar for some time now. Glad he got it finished! I wish him much success!!

Danielsan

Really interested in the game, but March and April are Bloodborne territory. Nothing else even rates on my radar in that time frame.

GKFinns

Real talk: This could be a full on 39.99 game and I would be there Day 1 with bells on.

I have been following this game ever since it first became known to me. I have followed its development with a feverish intensity. I have spent waaaaay too much time at my local Gamestop playing the demo (and Chasm, but that is a story for another day).

Point being: 19.99 is a damn steal for the quality and quantity of the content. The fact that this was made by one man is a damn voodoo magic trick and I have no idea how it actually managed to be so damn good.

If you have a PS4: Buy it. If you love Metroid, buy a PS4 and buy it. Don't own a Vita? Buy one of those too.

This is a front runner for Game of the Year for me, and I am the guy who might as well just masturbate to Uncharted games.

Big Metroid fan, but *wow* is this game ever shamelessly going for its style.

I share this opinion:

The Metroid game I've been waiting for that Nintendo can't be bothered to make.

I agree. If Nintendo can't be bothered to make it then I'm glad someone else is prepared to pick up the slack. I'm really looking forward to both this and Ghost Song, which together should scratch that Metroid itch.

Helldivers, Axiom Verge and Bloodborne in the same month.

DAMN.

You might say it's going to be a bloodbath on the verge of hell... eh? Eh?

I'll see myself out.

Boke1879

Been looking forward to this so great to finally have a date. The game seems to be targeting a core audience so I don't know how much the price will affect it. Shovel Knight did well at $15 despite it's appearance.

Some of the responses in here though man, and you wonder why publishers are afraid to take risks...

Yea. I can see some concerns with the price but I'm sure this packs a lot of content.

But I do agree. Looking at some of the posts in this thread. We wonder why devs don't take more risks.

Boke1879

Overpricing isn't exactly a risk that we should want though. It doesn't help anyone, least of all the developer who ends up getting less money than they would have if they had picked a more optimal price.

But who are we to say it's overpriced. I can see issue with the pricing. I was also talking about people saying it's shamelessly ripping off metriod.

I do think maybe this game would be better served having some sort of PS+ sale the first week of release.

Also how is the game coming along? Can't wait for it!! :)

Top Bottom