• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios (Stephen Totilo) Lawyers: Email proves Microsoft’s ABK bid is designed to elimination (Update: MS claims it was a "thought experiment")

Pelta88

As expected, era is working overtime to suppress this info.

1dT5rtt.png

Elios83

That has been the plan since the Bethesda's acquisition. It's obvious to everyone with a brain.
They realized that beating them at the same game was impossible for them.
They tried to use their financial strength. Typical Microsoft (and all these mega corporations) mentality.
They made a mistake with Activision, they tried to accelerate things too quickly and they got into a legal swamp that exposed them in every possible way, goals and methods.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Isn't that the reason any business does anything? To get rid of their competition?
I would like to think any business just wants ppl to by their product, service, etc. Initially at least, lol.

Competition going out of business is usually a result, not a desire. Apple is a totally different beast, but do anyone really think Google wanted MS, Blackberry and Palm to go out of business in the smartphone market when they introduced Android?

If your intent and desire is to put the competition out of business.....whew. A trillion dollar company making one of the biggest gaming acquisition in history kinda adds some wild context to this if its true.

Hell, I guess we should be glad Minecraft is still multi platform.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

The thing is, it won't work. Look at how people flock to Sony over MS even regardless of them buying huge IP's like TES and Starfield. I mean, yes some idiots will run over but most people will stick to their guns and keep buying Sony regardless of it even CoD was exclusive. This whole thing is hilarious though.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The article doesn’t even have the email at issue. Just the plaintiff’s filings which will always try to present the evidence in the most favorable light.

Not saying that email isn’t damaging to MS’s case, but there isn’t really anything here to discuss since the actual substance is redacted.
Exactly. The only quote in the entire thread made with common sense and not with warrior sense.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
You should be a lot more surprised than this..
e4TsFav.jpg
9EGsjvb.jpg

Is this supposed to be some kind of gotcha?

I still don’t think MS is going to remove CoD. Am I mistaken or does this supposed email say that’s the plan? If so I stand corrected.

Edit, that is even assuming the deal happens, which at this point seems like a long shot.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
If this delay gets approved, Sony is finding out Matt's Booty favourite gaming series and buying their studio just like they did with Bungie

feynoob

Gold Member
Is this supposed to be some kind of gotcha?

I still don’t think MS is going to remove CoD. Am I mistaken or does this supposed email say that’s the plan? If so I stand corrected.

Edit, that is even assuming the deal happens, which at this point seems like a long shot.
It seems MS is going to shoulder those losses if it means Sony will be out of business.
As they say "a fool and his money are easily parted".

Anti-Trust and Anti-Monopoliy laws basically exist because of MS.

Is anyone here truly surprised by this?
You mean the anti-trust laws put in place in the 1890s and early 1900s? This is not even remotely true. It’s true that Microsoft was party to the largest anti-trust suit in the last 30 years, but that’s it.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
It seems MS is going to shoulder those losses if it means Sony will be out of business.
As they say "a fool and his money are easily parted".

I don’t think MS would have to make CoD exclusive in order to get huge dividends from the deal. Putting them on GamePass, exclusive skins or some other trash, all the boatloads of money they’ll make off of CoD transactions of all types, etc.

It all puts them in a better position.

feynoob

Gold Member
I don’t think MS would have to make CoD exclusive in order to get huge dividends from the deal. Putting them on GamePass, exclusive skins or some other trash, all the boatloads of money they’ll make off of CoD transactions of all types, etc.

It all puts them in a better position.
COD money means a lot to Sony.
All these marketing that Sony does comes from games like COD. Without that funding, Sony won't be able to have timed exclusive games or have enough fundings for their big games.

That is the place MS can attack to inflict huge damage on Sony.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Doesn't sound surprising but I'd still like to see what was actually said.

Also how do these lawyers even know what is in some redacted email?

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
COD money means a lot to Sony.
All these marketing that Sony does comes from games like COD. Without that funding, Sony won't be able to have timed exclusive games or have enough fundings for their big games.

That is the place MS can attack to inflict huge damage on Sony.

Agreed, and I think this is why Sony is so against the deal. I think they realize MS would be crazy to make the franchise exclusive, but they understand how much money it would bring in for Xbox and the position it would put Xbox in.

Splitting the revenue of a fuck ton of digital transactions with a third party company is a lot different than splitting it with a direct competitor.

Nankatsu

No surprise here, basically the whole reason Xbox still exists is because there is a fat blank check backing it up. And money buys everything.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Crayon

If Sony could snap their fingers to remove Xbox they would.
Also Sony...

Yes if sony was the trillion dollar company that was trying to stamp out competition and ms was the one who was outmaneuvering them by competing on merit and still making a profit like a proper business, the roles would be reversed indeed. You'd have to be a real heel to be rooting for sony in that situation.

Top Bottom