• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AYA NEO $700 handheld natively running AAA games and emulation

Sejan

A Switch 2 is difficult in the sense that there are only two real options:
  • A Tegra Xavier (Either the 512 core part of the 384 core one), modified to suit Nintendo's needs
  • A custom chip, modified to suit Nintendo's needs (Low power, but decent performance)
Nintendo is all about balance, so what they will go for is something that is more powerful than their predecessor but not within spitting distance of the other consoles.
If they are keeping the hybrid design, they certainly won’t push anywhere near PS5 or XSX levels. I think their aim will be something around PS4 levels with a slightly better CPU and with DLSS upscaling as an option. I’d guess that Tegra would be their starting point, but I think Nintendo is in a better position to make some customizations after the Switch.

Nintendo and nVidia have proven a good partnership and I’m guessing nVidia would like to further prove themselves as an alternative to AMD in the console space for the next generation.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't think we will see a switch 2 anytime soon. its probably going to take a year or 2 more if not 3. so yea if nvidia really goes after a next gen tegra chip with dlss on it and 720p target we could see easily PS5 games run on that thing.
If a Switch 2 were to come out in 2 years it would probably use tech available now, or very close to being released. The Switch launched with older tech than was available from Nvidia at the time. However with DLSS they might actually go with something newer and use it to the fullest capabilities. All I am saying is, don't expect much. They have disappointed with the HW capability for 3 systems in a row.

Rikkori

The funny part is that when they get Rembrandt out next year, the Aya Neo 2 if it uses those chips will likely have AMD's DLSS equivalent (as well as Radeon Boost 2 based on VRS etc) even before a "Switch 2" gets DLSS itself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shakka43

I'm more interested to see how the Alienware UFO ends up being power wise, the controllers and design on that one look pretty slick.
concept-ufo-hands-on-review-004.jpg

sunnysideup

Banned
This is probably like playing on a low end gaming laptop. Its just not worth it for modern games.The battery life is non existent. And it can barely play at the lowest settings.

cool idea though

DESTROYA

This is probably like playing on a low end gaming laptop. Its just not worth it for modern games.The battery life is non existent. And it can barely play at the lowest settings.

cool idea though
That’s the idea.
Did you watch the video? It was pretty impressive for what it can handle.
Sure your not going to max out settings and get a constant 60FPS but the games ETA tested were very playable.
Battery life is 2 hours and actually better than expected, I wouldn’t call that non existent but it’s the same for most gaming laptops unplugged anyway like 2 hours.
This would make a excellent emulation handheld.
Another thing is you actually need to plug it in to actually use its full specs, often times reduced settings must be used to conserve the battery.

Overall it does soured up the whole portable experience a bit.
After many reviews this is not true, you can max out the CPU and GPU at stock setting (16W-18W) and still het around 2 hours battery life.
You definitely do not need to be plugged in to unleash it’s full specs.

MagnesG

Banned
After many reviews this is not true, you can max out the CPU and GPU at stock setting (16W-18W) and still het around 2 hours battery life.
You definitely do not need to be plugged in to unleash it’s full specs.
The first comment was related to the second one, 2 hours is not what people want for a portable experience hence the downgrade.

Or it does not matter anyway is what you're saying here? Sorry I just read these stuff so I'm not so sure .

DESTROYA

The first comment was related to the second one, 2 hours is not what people want for a portable experience hence the downgrade.

Or it does not matter anyway is what you're saying here? Sorry I just read these stuff so I'm not so sure .
You do not need to be plugged in to get full clocks on the CPU and GPU at stock wattage and get a full 2 hours gaming.
Sure everyone wants the longest battery life possible but 2 hours isn’t that bad for what it is , most dedicated laptop get less when unplugged. Not really a apples to apples comparison but the point still stands.
Most people aren’t that far from a easily available power source so yeah battery life isn’t the best but still you can use a battery pack that a lot of people also carry for phones too.

Life

That's pretty impressive. Makes me look forward to how portable gaming will evolve in the next decade.

Price will always be a factor though as it doesn't look like the option of forgoing portability to get much more power for much less money is going anywhere.
But maybe once diminishing returns really starts to set in non-nintendo portable will get big.

It's gonna continue with mobile phones, obviously. No one cares for this overly priced gadget. After phones, it'll probably be through streaming, so hardware won't even be that relevant. Probably glasses that are connected to your phone, if not your brain.

DESTROYA

It's gonna continue with mobile phones, obviously. No one cares for this overly priced gadget. After phones, it'll probably be through streaming, so hardware won't even be that relevant. Probably glasses that are connected to your phone, if not your brain.
How can you say this is overpriced when many phones cost much more than this , some up to twice as much ?
Apparently many do care since the first batch sold out in minutes.
You cant play PC games natively on phones. Call me when you can
I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat.
This is probably never going to see the light of day , If it does knowing AW will be at a premium price.
Hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Wait, it's using the same sticks at a switch? Better get those racers ready, there's going to be some drift action.

Bluecondor

This looks really impressive. This is the first I have heard of this, so I apologize if the answer to this is obvious.

My question relates to PC games that currently don't have console ports, like Valheim and Crusader Kings.

Would I be able to play Valheim and Crusader Kings (presumably purchased through Steam) on this?

I'm assuming that the answer to this is "yes", but I thought I would ask. I have been following the hype and enthusiasm for Valheim, so this would become an option for me if it would play Valheim.

Thanks!

Futaleufu

This looks really impressive. This is the first I have heard of this, so I apologize if the answer to this is obvious.

My question relates to PC games that currently don't have console ports, like Valheim and Crusader Kings.

Would I be able to play Valheim and Crusader Kings (presumably purchased through Steam) on this?

I'm assuming that the answer to this is "yes", but I thought I would ask. I have been following the hype and enthusiasm for Valheim, so this would become an option for me if it would play Valheim.

Thanks!
It runs Windows 10, you can install anything.

Top Bottom