• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste |OT| "Discussion & Hype Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Having just read the NME review (if you can call it a review) I'm actually surprised the score was so high
The writer took so many shots at her and focused on so many negatives I'd expect the score to be >5

TCRS

Banned
iXrQiJJxrbXI5.gif

I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQBNZBj_kk

will listen to album as soon as I can get it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Having just read the NME review (if you can call it a review) I'm actually surprised the score was so high
The writer took so many shots at her and focused on so many negatives I'd expect the score to be >5

The thing is that they were trashing mostly her persona on reviews but they do give credit that she did proved herself with the delivery of the album.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Ice princess
Soda
Heavy metal and reflective

👌

mhmm
I keep flip flopping between Soda and Ice for my favourite new track
It's also amazing how the older tracks have been given such a new lease of life in the context of the album. Usually I end up skipping the singles when albums come out and just focus on the new material, but with this I've just been playing the album all the way through

Dany

Banned
mhmm
I keep flip flopping between Soda and Ice for my favourite new track
It's also amazing how the older tracks have been given such a new lease of life in the context of the album. Usually I end up skipping the singles when albums come out and just focus on the new material, but with this I've just been playing the album all the way through

Overall I liked it, 212 did stand out. Might give the album another listen later on, but those songs are making it into my playlist rotation.

neptunes

Always like Lone's productions, they just have a 90's feel to them, like ripped from a Japanese arcade (Ridge Racer?)

The last track. The last track. THAT LAST TRACK. OMG MISS CAMARADERIE IS A REWORKED/ALT/IDGAF VERSION OF LUXURY HER BEST SONG. WHY IS IT SOO GOOD THO.

I give it a 8/10. Azealia has done good by me again, twitter feuding and immaturity be damned when you talented like this.

This entire album. I just-

She did the damn thing. I can't believe that Interscope/Polydor slept on this and wouldn't release it. Each chunk of the album blends perfectly into the next. From it's beginning to the experimental midsection and the classic Housezealia closing w/ Miss Amor and Miss Camaraderie, it's such a solid debut.

This deserves cult classic status.

3phemeral

Body-Slammin' Bops:
Gimme A Chance
Desperado
JFK
BBD (let me get dat, let me hit dat. Woo!)
Young Rapunxel (this hits so hard)
Soda
Chasing Time (!!!)
Luxury
Miss Amor​

Solid, Dance-In-One-Spot Tracks:
Idle Delilah
Wallace
Heavy Metal Reflective
Ice Princess (I love the chorus but those verses slow down the momentum I want to continue feeling for the whole song).
Miss Camaraderie​

Trash Trauck:
Esta Noche
Kidding. I wanted an HQ of this so badly.

Um, Undecided:
Nude Beach A Go-Go (this is so left field from everything else, I'm having difficulty processing how I want to interpret this obviously campy track).​

----------

Can I just say that I hate when an artist attaches an outro from one track and blends it into the intro of the following one? Mariah's MIAMTEC did this and it's a crappy practice considering I like rearranging my tracklist.

Listening to this reminds me of when I tried Avicii's latest album, which I found maybe 2 bop-worthy tracks. After a while, my ears got fatigued to the point where it just felt like a chore finishing the album.

It's been a while since I've listening to anything that made me feel like I need to choreograph a routine. Let alone almost a whole album's worth.

GetLife.gif

Galang

Banned
The last track. The last track. THAT LAST TRACK. OMG MISS CAMARADERIE IS A REWORKED/ALT/IDGAF VERSION OF LUXURY HER BEST SONG. WHY IS IT SOO GOOD THO.

I give it a 8/10. Azealia has done good by me again, twitter feuding and immaturity be damned when you talented like this.

Miss Camaraderie is also her favourite track. I love it as well, nice contrast to Luxury which is my favourite from Fantasea.

I also hope she will keep quiet now that her album is out. She has been behaved ever since leaving interscope... The album proves she really needs to just let her music speak for itself and keep all the pettiness behind the scenes. Hopefully the praise for the album makes her realize this.

This entire album. I just-

She did the damn thing. I can't believe that Interscope/Polydor slept on this and wouldn't release it. Each chunk of the album blends perfectly into the next. From it's beginning to the experimental midsection and the classic Housezealia closing w/ Miss Amor and Miss Camaraderie, it's such a solid debut.

This deserves cult classic status.

It's funny how some people think it blends perfectly, while others think its all over the place. I can see both sides of it, but I find it blends really well. Even the older tracks feel in place with the rest of the album. Nude Beach is the only random out of place moment for me. Idle Delilah - Gimme A Chance - Desperado go so well together for starting the album off and the rest of it goes perfect for me. Even the drums in Wallace are very reminscinent of 212 when it plays afterwards. Interscope was very weird for delaying this so long. Album would have felt even fresher a year and a half ago. The sales also aren't bad at all considering everything thats happened.

Dead

well not really...yet
Always believed.

Album is good.

Great flow and consistent. Huge props for barely any guest stars, except like one track, and no filler. Insane to believe record companies sat on this.

Majmun

Young Rapunxel is such an amazing song. The beat and music is so dark and creepy, love it.

It gives me Shin Megami/Persona/Shadow Hearts bossbattle music teas tbh. Just spectacular.

Courage

Album is pretty solid, I prefer her on tracks like Yung Rapunxel and Heavy Metal Reflective over Soda and Miss Amor.

Dany

Banned
I know ha, I was impressed the DJ was quick on the draw with it.

Gonna jam on the album and Knife Party at the gym today.

Llevate el dinero, y ese bandolero…
Nada me hace falta, y yo a el no lo quiero.
Todo mi vida cambiado, estoy mejor cada dia..
Lamento informarte, no funciono la Brujeria !

Mira como baila, la nena, morena…
Mira como baila, sin llanto, ni Pena (2x)

Libre independiente, me dice la gente
Rebelde y Caprichosa, pero eso es otra cosa…
Yo mucho pa ti, tu muy poco pa mi
Ahora mas que nunca, me siento feliz.
Actitud positiva, la regla de mi vida…
Si no me conviene, hacia mi no viene…
En control me quede estoy a cargo de todo,
Mi vida, mi suerte como dicen ache!….

h41dKR3.gif

CoolOff

I hate Chasing Time, but the rest of the album is 8-9/10.

Desperado is my fucking jam, and Yung Rapunxel goes hard.

tumblr_inline_n7zstaYFfP1r79k32.gif

Matt_

I think I'm ready to admit that I don't like Nude Beach
Its getting skipped every play through right now, not quite ready to delete yet though

Vazra

I think I'm ready to admit that I don't like Nude Beach
Its getting skipped every play through right now, not quite ready to delete yet though

It's 100% out of the left field but I like it. Its definitely shocking on the first play as it doesn't quite go well sonically speaking with everything else on the album.

Matt_

It's 100% out of the left field but I like it. Its definitely shocking on the first play as it doesn't quite go well sonically speaking with everything else on the album.

Yeah as a stand alone it's ok but in the context of the album it's so jarring I don't like it

Best album out this year. It'd be mind blowing if I hadn't already listened to some of the previously released stuff to death.

Gimme a chance is fun!!! After some googling my hunch turned out to be correct. A Japanese girl's voice. Azealia singing in Spanish is cute!

The beginning of Desperado... reminds me of... Hey Arnold. I like the song a lot.

Songs that go haaaard
Heavy Metal and Reflective
Bbd
Yung Rapunxel
Ice Princess

Nude Beach a Go-Go is a hilarious break. It's fuuuun.

"Do your jingle when you jingle-jangle
Everybody does the bingle-bangle"

WHAAAAAAT

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I feel like this album is more like a compilation because it doesn't tell a cohesive story and jumps around a lot, from one song type to another. In that respect, it feels like a collection of EPs and some singles.

However, the songs are pretty good and there are some surprises in there. I just wish there was more cohesion.

Vazra

The album is pretty good but the addition of the old songs like 212 kinda seems lazy.

212 is the song that somewhat made her so I guess its okay she added that. Then again she removed ATM Jam and she is working on Fantasea Vol 2 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom