• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks - Broke with Expensive Taste |OT| "Discussion & Hype Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

The first track I truly dislike from Azealia. The original Regis Chillbin remix is my favorite tune in years (hell, I preordered the vinyl a month before the release date), but I think her vocals ruin the track.

Galang

Banned
I was waiting for the mixtape to listen to it, but machinedrum collabs have pretty much been my favorite so far. I see not a lot of people are not liking Aquababe though judging by comments on other sites. Also Lil Kim' was supposed to be on Van Vogue, so I suppose a collab with her is never happening now.

Machinedrum said on his facebook page that he has new beats with Azealia coming out which haven't been on any of his past releases. This was in response to complaints about her only adding her vocals to his released tracks. I would actually prefer to see some fresh material between the two, so I can't wait.

NinjaBoiX

212 is phat as phuck, Licorice is pretty decent, the rest of the EP is a little lame. Stuff like Barbie Shit and PUSSY, the production is stripped back to the point of being barely existent. The production on Barbie Shit seems to consist of a snare hit, a bass boom, and some vocal fiddling. A lot of it seems thrown together in a few minutes.

Galang

Banned
^ Thanks for the update! She is gorgeous. Loving all her videos so far, amazing what a higher budget can do. S

I still love the 212 video the most. It was so simple, but it worked. I think a lot of artists these days forget there's beauty in simplicity too.

Galang

Banned
Part of me thinks she just pieced together parts from Van Vogue into this video too as she hasn't mentioned that video in a while. There were a lot of random parts in it.

lush

I was kind of like, "what the fuck is this?", while watching. Video was pretty bad. She's hot though and her hair looked fabulous.

I don't know, that just doesn't fit the Azealia Banks brand to me.

Satch

Banned
I was kind of like, "what the fuck is this?", while watching. Video was pretty bad. She's hot though and her hair looked fabulous.

I don't know, that just doesn't fit the Azealia Banks brand to me.

yeah it was pretty........ strange. it kinda seemed like the video was for some other song by Not-Azealia

that track is still my shit tho

Air

Banned
Another laguardia pop diva huh? I've been told a lot that she graduated after my class, but I can't remember her at all. Good on her though for being successful, I'll have to find the time to listen to her.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Dipshit of a human being who makes some good music on occasion. She's the female Kanye.

Galang

Banned
Fantasea drops tomorrow, I'm going nuts waiting for it!! Hopefully she posts a tracklist later, dying to know the producers. :)

Fantasea Art:

81070ebac99311e1bef722000a1e8bb5_7.jpg

A few things from her twitter about the mixtape:

- Lololololol I hope you guys like it! I'm nervoussssss
- This is a test run... I tried a lot of cool things... Sounds I thought were progressive, beats made by close friends, different flowsss
- Fantasea is almost kind of a first album of sorts....but it happened by mistake.... It's weird.
- My ideas and concepts started to develop, so I changed the title and began to try & make the project more cohesive.
- I originally started this mixtape with the intention of letting go a ton of old ideas... like songs I started writing but never finished.
‪- Fantasea‬ is 18 tracks long. 15 Azealia Banks originals and 3 remixes.
(Confirmed Tracks in the OP)

Also these aren't confirmed, but pretty likely:

- Added another feature last minute, Likely Shystie (Seems they were tweeting between eachother about a collab)
- Another Drums of Death produced track (Judging by DoD's facebook page)
- Fuck Up The Fun has a new beat (Version she's playing live is different)
- More Machinedrum (Of Course)

Galang

Banned
Hate to double post, but NEW SONG! Can't believe she worked with Ikonika :)... Hoping for Cooly G and Kode9 collabs eventually ...

Ikonika, Shystie & Azealia Banks - Neptune

Bitch is Ill, Demo she did when she was 16... her friend leaked it due to the Fantasea delays ...

Azealia Banks - Bitch Is Ill

Also Liquorice (The Original Video) Leaked:

http://vimeo.com/45571211#

The art work for her songs has also been confirmed to be a tribute to the show Daria, one of her favourites. Thought it was cool!

BeeDog

Is there a list of who the producers are for the tracks not listed in the OP?

Great mixtape, by the way!

EDIT: "Atlantis" and "Chips" are produced by O/W/W/W/L/S (http://soundcloud.com/owwwls)

EDIT2: Anyone who can identify the lead the araabMusik-produced track is using will be my best Internet friend ever. It's an older hardcore/gabber track, but I can't for the life of me remember now, gah!

EDIT3: Whoop, recalled now: DJ Nosferatu - The Desolate One. <3

Galang

Banned
Is there a list of who the producers are for the tracks not listed in the OP?

Great mixtape, by the way!

EDIT: "Atlantis" and "Chips" are produced by O/W/W/W/L/S (http://soundcloud.com/owwwls)

EDIT2: Anyone who can identify the lead the araabMusik-produced track is using will be my best Internet friend ever. It's an older hardcore/gabber track, but I can't for the life of me remember now, gah!

EDIT3: Whoop, recalled now: DJ Nosferatu - The Desolate One. <3

Oh thanks for these :), I'll update the OP. I've been listening to the Mixtape so much and I tried to find the producers/samples for some of the tracks earlier, but couldn't. Wish she had tagged all the samples and stuff.

Love the mixtape, my only disappointment is her version of Ima Read. The original is so cut throat, and I'd have expected her to do way better than that... the main lure of the song is missing. Glad I waited to not listen to any of the tracks beforehand as the ones she previewed before ended up being my favourite for the most part. Surprised at the hate for Aquababe, I absolutely love it. My favourites are Aquababe, Fierce, Nathan, Fantasea, Esta Noche & Luxury after the first three listens.

Galang

Banned
^ Thanks! :)

- New Azealia feature from Shystie's new mixtape :

Shystie - Control It (Feat. Azealia Banks)

Didn't expect to like it to much, but already my favourite song Azealia's been featured in so far, that beat is real slick. Dirty version coming September 21st.

- Also Broke with Expensive Taste pushed back to February 12th (2013) if anyone missed it.

- 1991 Video soon.

Haze already ethered her on twitter...

Banks makes no sense to me. She harms her career every four months with stupid shit like this, or when she disrespects hip hop fans. It's hard for me to see her doing much of anything on the mainstream level. Nicki Minaj's stock is low right now, there is room for another girl. Banks is clearly more talented but I just don't see her breaking beyond the blog scene due to her personality and behavior.

Yup, if things do break negatively this year because of her public persona, it's a shame because 1991 is so good and I'm sure she'll deliver on the album.

BeeDog

Holy shit, Azealia got into a giant feud with Baauer over her new rap on top of "Harlem Shake", and now she has pissed off pretty much everyone. Oh, and she keeps calling the trap producers and Perez Hilton "faggots". Classy lady.

2qimsFB.png

Unfortunately, she has deleted most of her offensive tweets (incl. the attacks on Perez plus a tweet about Baauer, RL Grime and someone else being a "bunch of faggots" that can circlejerk each other).

:lol

She will keep trying and failing. Hell, even if her music was godly (it's only good at best imo) the fact that she herself is such a pathetic mess will end up ruining her career anyways.

I cringe whenever I read/hear her name nowadays. At least that hideous single cover matches the way I picture her in my head.

Galang

Banned
Holy fuck. Everyday I'm reminded why this bitch is the scum of the earth, but this is EASILY one of her top three tracks. At first the track did nothing for me, but her screams in this track..... The Crystal Castles-like vibe fucking SLAYS. It actually seems more like Crystal Castles than their last album. A Mess. This is her first track in a LONG LONG time that is fresh and unique. Recycled flow at the start, but the screaming is more batshit insane than 212. And I love that it's not commercial at all. Slayed.

My biggest fear about her "musically" before all her drama was that she was going to change her direction to pander to the masses more... but I'm glad for the first real single from her debut album, that it's the complete opposite. I suppose it was clear from twitter that she doesn't care at all about burning bridges or her image... so I suppose this album will knock for what she wants to achieve musically. Still can't defend her nonsense though.

Aguila

#ICONIC
She will keep trying and failing. Hell, even if her music was godly (it's only good at best imo) the fact that she herself is such a pathetic mess will end up ruining her career anyways.

I cringe whenever I read/hear her name nowadays. At least that hideous single cover matches the way I picture her in my head.

The one thing I love about Azealia is that she just doesn't care. She is herself and it's up to you to decide whether you like her as a person or not. She doesn't put up a front like other artists.

And do you really think she is "trying." I don't think she is. She said herself that she want to get two rap albums out and move on to other things like jazz. I see her as just exploring music, not really "trying" to be anything in particular.

The one thing I love about Azealia is that she just doesn't care. She is herself and it's up to you to decide whether you like her as a person or not. She doesn't put up a front like other artists.

And do you really think she is "trying." I don't think she is. She said herself that she want to get two rap albums out and move on to other things like jazz. I see her as just exploring music, not really "trying" to be anything in particular.

Somehow that doesn't make it any better..... I can't stand artists who don't try. It just makes them come off as even more insincere.

I almost feel like she MUST flop horrifically just to prove that the universe is a just place.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
mofmAOi.png

New track this weekend, first performance of Yung Rapunxel + Video next tuesday

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
She's releasing a song tomorrow of Fantase II: The second wave, which is her second album that shes already announced that is supposed to be out in 2014 too (not likely)

AZEALIA BANKS &#8207;@AZEALIABANKS 3h
I know I said today but it really makes more sense to drop song on a Monday morning. 8am-LA, 11am NY, 4pm London.

She says it makes sense but I dont get how. Still, here for anything that is better than atmjam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom