• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 – new Gunvolt design revealed, first gameplay trailer

http://nintendoeverything.com/azure...n-revealed-first-gameplay-trailer-off-screen/

During MAGFest today, Keiji Inafune and Inti Creates hosted a panel. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 was featured during the event and we finally received an update as to what’s happening with the project.

First, it’s been revealed that Gunvolt will have a new design in the game. Inti Creates redid all of the character sprites in order to achieve this. Also teased was “a whole lot of stuff” that fans have yet to see. The team is spending a ton of time to create “the best high-quality game they possibly can.” Unfortunately, there’s still no word on a release date, but Inti Creates CEO said the developers are “working very hard to be able to get you guys the sequel to Azure Striker Gunvolt as soon as we can.”

Lastly, and most significantly, the first gameplay trailer for Azure Striker Gunvolt 2. We have it the off-screen video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGe_hUi9ZAk

Looks rad.

The first game was a pleasant surprised and scratched that Inti style action platformer itch, so hopefully the sequel delivers, too.

Kent

Really looking forward to this. The first gamewas great, and is one of my favorite 3DS games, hitting a lot of aesthetic, thematic and gameplay cues that I really enjoyed.

Hopefully, most of the story won't be gutted out for the releases outside of Japan this time.

Nice logo, stylish looking 2

Level design still doesn't look great

Did they ever actually say what platforms they were targeting? I'm assuming 3DS but after the steam port I'd imagine they'd go for at least PC, maybe PS4

Nice logo, stylish looking 2

Level design still doesn't look great

Did they ever actually say what platforms they were targeting? I'm assuming 3DS but after the steam port I'd imagine they'd go for at least PC, maybe PS4
lol the Gunvolt Steam version sold like shit

I wouldn't be surprised if it was handheld only

mrmickfran

Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps Pleasebe60fps

SkyOdin

Will the game be better this time? Hopefully a good game creator like Inafune can do it right the second time.
I don't think Inafune has any involvement in the Gunvolt series outside of its crossovers with Mighty No 9. The Gunvolt games are purely owned and made by IntiCreates itself, and are unassociated with Inafune's own company Comcept.

Kent

I mean, they deserve credit for continuing to update the Steam version regularly - they even implemented a specific feature I requested in one of their patches (mapping special attacks to the right stick - but who knows if that was actually in the works or not before suggesting it), but it basically launched as a standard "shitty PC port of a console game" deal, where it was clearly built with the sole intention of just making it run, rather than adapting it to the platform.

It's not really that surprising that the PC version would perform terribly, all things considered, but isn't that par the course for low-quality ports to PC?

Protome

I enjoyed the first one a lot, looking forward to this one.
This is totally going to release before Might No. 9 does, isn't it?

Looking forward to this, the first was great. I expected there would be some new major mechanic though...this surprisingly looks like more of the exact same thing. But eh, if it hits the same quality notes as the first one, I won't complain.

Hopefully, most of the story won't be gutted out for the releases outside of Japan this time.

Huh? How so? There seemed to be a good number of cut scenes and such. What was removed?

Mivey

How does that even matter when they clearly ported it as simply as they could (not even unifying the interface for a single screen) ? Clearly, they made back whatever they invested, and the sales must have justified patching it up to snuff, seeing the current Steam user rating.

Kent

Huh? How so? There seemed to be a good number of cut scenes and such. What was removed?

Every stage originally had conversations that happen as you progress through them - with your character, other members of QUILL, and even the bosses as you're fighting them.

Additionally, all of these and all of the cutscenes were fully-voiced.

Hopefully Inti Creates and 8-4 do a little better job with the localization this time as well. I remember the NA and EU version had all the talk/story scenes removed from the game in-between missions.

Also remember when they wanted to get rid of his ponytail and cover up his belly button? Funny times all around.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Repeat after me: Gunvolt is not an Inafune game!

Hopefully Inti Creates and 8-4 do a little better job with the localization this time as well. I remember the NA and EU version had all the talk/story scenes removed from the game in-between missions.

Putting aside concerns about time/budget, you have to remember that a lot of people complained about the volume of dialogue during pre-release so they probably felt justified in cutting it, seeing as no-one seemed to want it until after the game was out.

Looks cool, can't wait to see more of the game.

Gameplay still seems easy/simple during the stages and nuts during the bosses, but I don't mind that at all : P

Korigama

Every stage originally had conversations that happen as you progress through them - with your character, other members of QUILL, and even the bosses as you're fighting them.

Additionally, all of these and all of the cutscenes were fully-voiced.
There was also the numerous conversations between Gunvolt and Joule between missions that were cut.

Really like the first one, too bad they are going to keep the generic/bad jpop singer, Inti is so good making music though.

I'm still waiting for that update for the first game on 3DS.

Console gamers got the short end of the stick despite being the ones who make the game a success, is a shame. I don't expect any update at all.

Besides the obvious 60FPS begging/clamoring, the overall gameplay flow needs work. It is much more fun to use the great movement system to jump over enemies than it is to just tag them and hold the button down. The movement and platforming is great, but the combat is incredibly bored and pales in comparison to their previous Mega Man titles. I got about halfway through the first one, and got tired of the combat early on. It's a shame since the platforming is amazing, and the sense of speed is great (as great as it can be at 30FPS). I feel like, if nothing else, the game could greatly benefit from a melee character that would be free of the boring lighting mechanic and increase the overall pace of the game more in line with the Zero/ZX series.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Looks nice, though I wonder how long it will take for them to localize it to Europe.

I didn't buy it due to them taking so long to localize it and not giving at least a discount for us Europe waiting longer than Japan and the US.

Will the game be better this time? Hopefully a good game creator like Inafune can do it right the second time.

Inafune had nothing to do with this game.

Narroo

I believe they did patch the 3DS, didn't they? The New 3DS support? Or is that a different update?

Anyways, aside from that, this trailer is: UGH.

No really! Looks rad at first glance until you notice it has the same exact issues as the last game, which made is mediocre at best.

• For one, they showed the Scoring/Kudos system. I swear to god the point of that system is simply to annoy players that aren't trying to perfect a stage, but still get a good score - or at least not get told by the game you suck. (Also, gameplay mechanics tie into rankings.) We actually see the Kudos drain when Gunvolt get's hit. It's the same; air hits even still give 30 kudos. Maybe they tweaked something, but it looks mostly the same.

• Maybe you don't care about score; great! The game's not aimed at you then. Heck, it's not even aimed at speed runners. The level/enemy/boss design in the original was anemic. The game wasn't particularly challenging and more tedious than anything. Until you figure out prevasion at least, then you can literally run through the entire level and ignore most enemies.

• The level/enemy portions look about the same this time. Enemies are very unthreatening looking while the levels around them appear to be laid out to allow you to score kudos. That boss in the video appeared to have similar issues to the old bosses, though perhaps less so. The original bosses sucked; the game wanted you to replay levels until you could perfect them, so they made the bosses really, well, poorly designed. Lots of unfun moves that are un-reactable and are guaranteed to hit you until you unless you're standing in some ideal position for that boss - which is rarely obvious.

Wow, this was a negative post! EDIT: After writing this up, it seems that everyone else posted similar sentiments. So, I'm changing my rant.

duckroll

Game looks identical to the original which I tried really hard to like but just couldn't in the end. Gonna skip the sequel for sure.

Top Bottom