• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babylon’s Fall State of Play gameplay trailer

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I'm excited for it. :p

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good and interesting. Will definitely be taking a wait and see approach. Since they said more information next summer, im guessing E3 2020 at Square Enix's showcase with a March 2021 release date. Not expecting this game in 2020 at all, especially not in the fall when next gen hits.

Bkdk

Other than that boss riding its sword every thing else seems boring, also color seems pretty washed out like a last gen game, and from the trailer it seems this is a next gen launch title as more info won't even be released till summer, I think it might be scrapped. I think Square Enix should cancel this and bring back scalebound, that looks way better than this mediocre game.

Labolas

From what's been shown I think there might not be a dedicated jump button (again). It does have launchers, air combos and even a move that lets you phase (think Air Trick from DMC).

Watching the video again there's a moment where the character jumps and air dashes during the boss fight.

blackjon24

I actually preordered this when it was still releasing in 2019.

Hope it's as cool as it looks, and not another Left Alive.

I'm not going to tell someone how to spend their money but how in the world had you seen enough at the time or even now to want to preorder i don't get it... genuinely curious. Just because its Platinum and square?

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I'm not going to tell someone how to spend their money but how in the world had you seen enough at the time or even now to want to preorder i don't get it... genuinely curious. Just because its Platinum and square?

That is correct. I hadn't seen anything else but the cover and those names.

After seeing the trailer they released I lost all anticipation for this game, The combat does nothing for me, it's been done before, and the visuals don't grab me at all.

Watching the video again there's a moment where the character jumps and air dashes during the boss fight.

If you're referring to 1:08, I'm currently assuming the character got airborne with the grappling mechanic or maybe even a launcher.

It's still an assumption on my part in case my wording in the original comment wasn't clear. I just find it peculiar for the entirety of the teaser to not feature any explicit jumping while showing off a number of other actions.

Labolas

Yeah, slowing the video down I can clearly see the character jump then dashes forward to the boss. Then again this is still early and I could be wrong.

Yeah, slowing the video down I can clearly see the character jump then dashes forward to the boss. Then again this is still early and I could be wrong.

My assumption could be wrong as well. I'd certainly like more footage to pore over than this measly teaser.

Looking at it again in slo mo, I noticed that it was indeed an air dash (like you called) as opposed to an air trick (teleporting/phasing) and this is one of the things that bugs me about the character design; he's easily lost in the chaos with his colour scheme and lack of any high contrast cosmetic.

The device on the back does glow but only when activated for whatever fancy actions this game will have. Or maybe we are expected to spam our phantom swords to locate ourselves since the swing arcs are so big and visible, heh.

It looks like Devil May Cry gameplay with a more ethereal Souls-like setting.

Basically if it weren't for the color pallete I don't think this trailer would stand out as much.

TaroYamada

It's getting long in the tooth, they need to deliver something new at this point. This game should have co-op, if it does that's a good move.

Labolas

My assumption could be wrong as well. I'd certainly like more footage to pore over than this measly teaser.

Looking at it again in slo mo, I noticed that it was indeed an air dash (like you called) as opposed to an air trick (teleporting/phasing) and this is one of the things that bugs me about the character design; he's easily lost in the chaos with his colour scheme and lack of any high contrast cosmetic.

The device on the back does glow but only when activated for whatever fancy actions this game will have. Or maybe we are expected to spam our phantom swords to locate ourselves since the swing arcs are so big and visible, heh.

Maybe it has to do with pastel looking they're going for and that's why it has a washout look to it hence he doesn't pop out as much. Again it's early so all this could change.

And yeah more footage would be nice. Sucks that we have to wait till summer.

Last edited:
Maybe it has to do with pastel looking they're going for and that's why it has a washout look to it hence he doesn't pop out as much. Again it's early so all this could change.

And yeah more footage would be nice. Sucks that we have to wait till summer.

It's okay for the colours to be more muted (Bayo worked fine with the piss filter), he just needs something that stands out visibly when the camera is going to be so far back at times.

Really starting to think the swinging arcs will be used for player-location if they don't update the design a bit.

Even ignoring the practical side of it, aesthetically speaking he looks relatively bland by PG standards. I don't foresee as much fanart for him like I saw with 2B, Bayonetta and Akira.

Labolas

Yeah I agree his design is a bit bland. But there seem to be other characters to play as so hopefully they'll liven the aesthetics up.

Hmm, I can see that as well. It probably won't work like Devil Sword Dante.

Yeah I agree his design is a bit bland. But there seem to be other characters to play as so hopefully they'll liven the aesthetics up.

Hmm, I can see that as well. It probably won't work like Devil Sword Dante.

I think the rest look similarly bland: uniform colours with no unique silhouette. I'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume there are lots of things they're hiding or have yet to implement.

One good thing about all of Dante's swords is that they're all larger than life. Merely wielding one keeps you fairly visible on the screen as is. Red coat + platinum white hair is also a good contrast.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is this set in the Nier universe?

Because it sure looks like it does.

Yeah, I have a feeling Yoko might have something to do with this. The art-style is reminiscent of the original Nier and it extensively uses the matte, "dust covered" look that he favors.

The similarities are even more compelling if you rewatch the original reveal trailer from 2018. Now that has Yoko's fingerprints all over it, the stuff with the maps bears an uncanny similarity to Drakengard 3, and the elaborate backstory layout* is basically him all over.

If nothing else it makes it seem like there's a whole lot more going on with the game than just hacking and slashing.

Now obviously, it may not be Yoko's only or main project but even if he's not involved as director I get the sense that there's a distinct flavor of his work involved.

*although you'd be forgiven for missing half the entries in the timeline, even flicking through pausing every time the captions change is a challenge, suggesting that its being hidden for a reason. Its all very Drakenier either way, full of Goddesses, cathedral cities, and remade worlds.

Revisited this gameplay teaser and have been poring over it. Here are some more observations and speculations plus some GIFs at half speed:
  1. All enemies shown so far are taller than the Player Character (henceforth PC).
  2. These enemies have a blue essence (of Gaia?) and they are enveloped in it right before dying, likely as a visual cue to press a button to absorb their essence if you so choose.
  3. The PC's powers are of a red essence and can be safely presumed to be that of the Oversoul.
    O6vV2uW.jpg
  4. The four circular indents on the backpack probably indicate meters that can be filled.
    81zNSGU.jpg
  5. The sword that the PC wields is summoned from the power of the Oversoul contained in the backpack; there is no sheathe.
  6. The PC wields the sword in his right hand and any Oversoul 'thread' actions are performed with his left hand: ie. grappling, essence absorption, swinging the boss weapon. So far, the sword is not present whenever these left hand actions are engaged.
  7. The PC has light attacks, heavy attacks and I presume, dual auxiliary attacks: the satellite swords.
  8. Light attack string has at least 4 hits as shown here, 5th hit is a heavy attack:Notice that it's the exact same attack string in the launcher > aerial combo and that the fourth hit, the backhand swing, does some good knockback. You can also see the first 3 hits of the attack string elsewhere in the teaser, like when he's fighting the bugs and the boss.
  9. Heavy attacks tend to involve swinging the sword with both hands from start to finish. Presumably the biggest indicators are the gratuitous amount of hitstop and screenshaking involved. This appears to be a sequence of dashing light > light > heavy > heavy:and here's a sequence of heavy > light > light > light > heavy with lots of aux interspersed:
  10. Should be expected but in the last GIF you can see the lock-on shift from the first enemy to the second after it died, with the PC orientating himself accordingly.
  11. Oddly enough, the launcher feels like a heavy attack with its hitstop but is performed with one hand. The 3rd attack in his string is a rising slash using both hands.

What excites me, is the possibility that PlatinumGames is giving players 3-4 attack buttons; initially I'd assumed the aux attacks were merely heavy attacks. Light and heavy attacks function similarly to Ninja Gaiden but it's the addition of the aux weapons that intrigue me.

One obvious comparison would be DMCV's Devil Sword Dante, except Dante only has one attack button while the devil swords are controlled by the "Style Action" button, which can be thought of as a heavy attack button (while in Swordmaster style).

Instead, I think Babylon's Fall might be something like The Darkness II: where you have two extra actions bound to the shoulder buttons. I'm guessing they might have a control scheme like this:

Face buttons: Light attack, heavy attack, jump (not confirmed but I think it's a safe assumption), context-sensitive interaction button.
Shoulder buttons: Left aux, right aux, lock-on, dodge.

My speculation on the dual aux is based on the timing variations that the satellite swords exhibit in the teaser. Sometimes it's left then right, right then left and in the aerial version vs the boss it was simultaneous.

It's possible that the timing of both aux weapon strikes are simply randomized + context-sensitive, but I think it makes sense to have each satellite sword be an individual aux weapon...which can be customized and changed individually (okay, I just want to believe, lol).

Top Bottom