• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back To The Future Bragging Rights

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wow, there's a bunch of stuff on the Wikipedia entry I never knew about:

Wikipedia said:
The inspiration for the film largely stems from Bob Gale, who discovered his father's high school yearbook and wondered whether he would have been friends with his father as a teenager.

Robert Zemeckis pitched the idea to several companies. Disney turned it down because they thought that a story involving a mother falling in love with her son was too risqué, even if it was a twist of time travel. All other companies said it was not risqué enough, compared to the other teen comedies at the time (see Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) and Revenge of the Nerds (1984)).

Sid Sheinberg, the head of Universal Pictures, made many changes to the movie. "Professor Brown" was changed to "Doc Brown" and his chimp Shemp to a dog named Einstein. Marty's mother had previously been Meg, then Eileen, but Sid Sheinberg insisted that she be named Lorraine after his wife Lorraine Gary. Sheinberg also did not like the title, insisting that no one would see a movie with "future" in the title. In a memo to Robert Zemeckis, he said that the title should be changed to "Spaceman From Pluto", tying in with the Marty-as-alien jokes in the film. Steven Spielberg replied in a memo thanking him for the wonderful "joke memo" and told him everyone got a kick out of it. Sid Sheinberg, too proud to admit he was serious, let the title stand.

In the original script, Marty's rock-and-roll caused a riot at the dance that had to be broken up by police. This, combined with Marty accidentally tipping Doc off to the "secret ingredient" that made the time machine work (Coca-Cola) caused history to change. When Marty got back to the 1980s, he found that it was now the 1950s conception of that decade, with air-cars and whatnot, all invented by Doc Brown and running on Coca-Cola. Marty also discovers that rock and roll was never invented (the most popular musical style is now the mambo), and he dedicates himself to starting the delayed cultural revolution. Meanwhile, his dad digs out the newspaper from the day after the dance and sees his son in the picture of the riot.

:O That original ending sounds pretty cool!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i got back to the future 2 and 3 -- the nes game covered both -- for christmas one year. if the original was anywhere near as bad, you have my sympathy. i also got a u-force that christmas -- the u-force, if you don't recall, was some waggly infrared would-be power glove dealy that looked like a laptop computer and completely sucked. worst christmas ever.

White Man

drohne said:
i got back to the future 2 and 3 -- the nes game covered both -- for christmas one year. if the original was anywhere near as bad, you have my sympathy. i also got a u-force that christmas -- the u-force, if you don't recall, was some waggly infrared would-be power glove dealy that looked like a laptop computer and completely sucked. worst christmas ever.

Let's see if we can top that. . .who's up for buying drohne a Wii this Christmas?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Blablurn said:
this looks entertaining!
It's not really as good as it looks. The graphics look nice and the music is tops, but the control is pretty lousy and the stages are quite bland.

Still, as a mildly obscure BttF game, I'm still proud to own it. Boxed and everything! :)

Rydias said:
I've just always wondered why old Biff was able to get back to "normal 2015" after giving young Biff the almanac, when Doc and Marty couldn't once they returned to 1985. It seems like the same "rules" would apply.

But alas, I guess such ponderings would've ruined the storyline...
I think the official reasoning is that it wasn't really "normal 2015" at that point, but since Doc & Marty didn't go exploring and were already in what was supposed to be a pretty shitty neighborhood they never noticed the change. As to why Doc & Marty still went through and had memories of their "normal 2015" experiences... I guess it's just the arbitrary speed at which changes seem to go through the timeline? Y'know, like screwing up your parents' meeting gives you a week before you disappear?

Rydias said:
While I'm tearing the series apart, if you consider the cartoon, how did they get the DeLorean back?
I'm pretty sure that was just supposed to be a completely new one with wacky new abilities.

Rydias said:
It's hard to consider it as part of the movies, except that Christopher Lloyd did the voice of Doc and actually had short live-action segments at the start and end of each show.
He did do live-action bits, but for the actual cartoon segment Doc is Dan Castalanetta.

aparisi2274

Rydias said:
jko said:
Rydias said:
I've just always wondered why old Biff was able to get back to "normal 2015" after giving young Biff the almanac, when Doc and Marty couldn't once they returned to 1985. It seems like the same "rules" would apply.

But alas, I guess such ponderings would've ruined the storyline...

I remember watching something on the DVD's that they cut from the final movie... Supposedly when Biff gives the almanac and then comes back to 2015, the reason why he is sweating, and then falls over, which you dont see, is because sometime in the past, Lorraine shot biff, which then erased the future biff, because he wouldnt be alive in 2015, so he gets out of the delorean, clutches his chest, and falls to the ground... what we dont see is him disappearing.

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
The Back To The Future games for the NES were prime examples of 8-bit garbage. However, many people don't realize there was one more Back To The Future game made for consoles. It was Back To The Future Part 3 exclusively for the Genesis and it was every bit as disappointing as the two nes games. It was sidescrolling and involved Marty running like a crackfiend in the desert to jump over columns which he can barely do with joke commentary by Doc Brown when you die. Thus the tradition of any game with the Back To The Future name slapped on it being poop continued with flying colors.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lyte Edge said:

That sounds ****ing badass.

Rydias

JoshuaJSlone said:
He did do live-action bits, but for the actual cartoon segment Doc is Dan Castalanetta.

Ah, I did not know that. Good to know though, as I always thought the voice was pretty dead-on. Good job Mr. Castalanetta...for what it's worth.

I wonder why Lloyd didn't do it?

i'm too lazy to see if anybody mentioned it yet, but i remember a BTTF game was released for the super famicom, with a chibi anime marty. it looked pretty good for the time ... god know why it didnt come to america.

Iceshade said:
The Back To The Future games for the NES were prime examples of 8-bit garbage. However, many people don't realize there was one more Back To The Future game made for consoles. It was Back To The Future Part 3 exclusively for the Genesis and it was every bit as disappointing as the two nes games. It was sidescrolling and involved Marty running like a crackfiend in the desert to jump over columns which he can barely do with joke commentary by Doc Brown when you die. Thus the tradition of any game with the Back To The Future name slapped on it being poop continued with flying colors.
I tried playing that game and couldn't get past the first stage. I was actually wondering whether it was the
emulation
making it so crazy uncontrollable. However, those comments between lives were great. :lol "Oh no Marty! There she goes again!" "'Forget it, Doc, I'll do it.' 'No, no, Marty. I'll try again.'" "I'm getting a bit saddlesore but it's worth another try."

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I never realized the old BTTF game was so hard. I remember one of my suitemates from college (whose a huge BTTF fan) brought along his NES one semester. He popped in the game and beat it in like 10-20 minutes. I think he screwed up his first play through because he couldn’t get up to 88mph at the end.
Lord knows how much time he played it to be able to do that.

Lyte Edge said:

Sheinberg almost succeeded in butchering Brazil, and he attempted to **** around with BttF like that? What a douchebag.

Top Bottom