• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future is a... tragedy?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Back to the future worked because of Michael J Fox's manic energy, which was brought on by his utter exhaustion

mango drank

Hot damn. A couple things:
- A couple years back, I sat down and tried to come up with some rules about how time travel might work (in general, not just in BTTF), such that no paradoxes were created and everything just plain worked. I came up with the same rules the guy in your link talks about: 1) time travel forward is basically just fast-forwarding in the same universe; 2) time travel backwards creates a duplicate universe, which the time traveler enters, leaving behind their original universe; 3) it might not be possible for a time traveler to go back to a universe they've left behind.
- I'm a dummy, I totally forgot that in BTTF Part 1, 1985 Marty-B time-travels out of Universe-B soon after Marty-A arrives in 1985 Universe-B. So Marty-A doesn't magically overwrite Marty-B, like I thought he did in my earlier post. It's been a while since I've seen the original movie, eheh.

Still haven't finished reading the guy's post, it gets very tangled very fast. Some of the stuff might not work as simply as he thinks it does, though (Doc-Z, Marty-Y, Jennifer-X). Kudos for trying to apply logic to the movie, but time travel is nuts.

Top Bottom