• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

badly censored games

In Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 ( Bare Knuckle 3), in first stage, there is a mid boss, named Ash. After you defeat him in a certain way, (can't remember exactly how) you get to use him later. But this character is removed in the American version due to his gay characteristics.

pn18

Banned
Soldier of Fortune 2 (German Edition)
sof2-german.jpg

Yes, you're fighting against robots.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Capcom's 'Breath of Fire IV' immediately comes to mind. Several scenes of expressive violence removed(a beheading scene most famously), also foul language removed, a few brief bits of non-nudity bathouse sequences taken out also.

BoFIVDeletedScene.png

Nikashi

Banned
I recall Total Carnage on SNES being pretty badly censored. (Blood changed to blue, explosions having gore removed etc). I think the Genny one MIGHT have survived intact.

Smash T.V. also had some minor blood removed (no geyser of blood when you kill Mutoid Man)

The first game that came to mind(other than Mortal Kombat SNES), is Last Battle for the Sega Genesis. It was a localized version of a Fist of the North Star game from Japan, except with all the blood and guts removed(and similarities to the anime characters altered, of course).

Also: Splatterhouse(TG16) in America.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Poison wasn't really badly censored, the character was made more entertaining and memorable than she would ever be if she was only a simple female enemy. :lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
*EDIT - BEATEN*

This is the first one that comes to mind. Not just the later removal of the character but the earlier changing of the outfit to cover the legs and Boobies. Also the beginning of the game with Jessica on tv in a Bra.

1f6uh.jpg

soco

i always enjoyed the horrible blurring of the swastikas in games like COD2 in the movies, and the general replacement with crosses in the game in the german versions.

I've always wondered, if everyone knows what was there originally, is there any point in spending the extra effort to censor it?

manngc

I always thought that a scene was either scrapped or cut from Metal Gear Solid 2 when Arsenal Gear is heading to the New York habor and rams into it. The actually collission I thought was cut out due to 9/11. Any truth to that?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hsg: ob censors a bunch of random words online (replacing them with '*****'), but by far the most random one is "after"

The first thing I thought of was the original GTA's transition from PC to consoles, where they replaced the word "pussy" with "donuts". As in, "Good job, kid. Come on back, we have some fine donuts lined up for you".

mr_nexus

Banned
A few cut scenes in Xenosaga III come to mind. They removed all the blood out of the game which caused some of the scenes to make no sense what so ever.

Duane Cunningham said:
The first thing I thought of was the original GTA's transition from PC to consoles, where they replaced the word "pussy" with "donuts". As in, "Good job, kid. Come on back, we have some fine donuts lined up for you".

Thats funny :D. pussy != donuts. I have eaten alot of donuts but ...

Xabora

flipping_heck said:
:lol i like the censored version, works well with the style of the game. Is there a way to unlock it?
It prolly looks for a language setting in windows or checks the windows region itself.
Shouldn't be too hard.

Heck on the Xbox go ahead and change the language to german and see if it does it.

Darkpen

Banned
manngc said:
I always thought that a scene was either scrapped or cut from Metal Gear Solid 2 when Arsenal Gear is heading to the New York habor and rams into it. The actually collission I thought was cut out due to 9/11. Any truth to that?
There's actual footage of the twin towers in a fake news broadcast that was supposed to play at the end of MGS2, but that got cut out in the US version.

also:

German Gamers: Ever ready for the robot uprising >_>

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The censors in XENOSAGA III.

Jesus Christ :(

supercake

Duane Cunningham said:

Haha, now I remember. I had GTA1 for Gameboy and they changed "Move it! We have fresh pussy here!" to "Move it! We have fresh coffee here!" :lol

Maniac Mansion on the NES.

The bad words we removed, meaning that "The meteor is going to be pissed" was changed to "The meteor is going to be mad." Howie Rubin of Jaleco (the company that was going to publish the game under license) advised us the that the baddest bad word is Kill. The central activity in most Nintendo games is killing things. The image and the act are good, but the word is bad, even if the word does not suggest the image or the act.

The mansion contains a number of arcade video games. One was called KILL THRILL. The name had to be changed. Doug Glen, our Director of Marketing, suggested that we change it to MUFF DIVER, which I thought was a pretty good idea. Unfortunately, I later became aware of the NES Game Standards Policy, which stated in part:

Nintendo will not approve NES cartridges...with sexually suggestive or explicit content

Yikes, MUFF DIVER had to be changed again. In order to minimize the impact on the artwork, I needed to substitute MUFF with another four letter word that was less suggestive that could make sense with DIVER. We settled on the word TUNA.

maniac3.gif

Tuna diver visible on the right.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
B.K. said:
Xenosaga Episode III's edits sucked. Here are a few comparisons.

In the English version
You don't see Margulis stab himself. He just holds his sword up and then the camera cuts away.

Seiken said:
The censors in XENOSAGA III.

Jesus Christ :(

Absolutely, it was fucked up :mad:

B.K.

Seiken said:
Absolutely, it was fucked up :mad:

That's why I took my Japanese version and my English version, followed the guide, and made an uncut English version of the game. ;)

pn18 said:
Soldier of Fortune 2 (German Edition)
sof2-german.jpg

Yes, you're fighting against robots.
"He who fights with robots might take care lest he thereby become a robot...
... if you gaze for long into the robo-abyss, the robo-abyss gazes also into you."

-MechaNietzsche

Top Bottom