• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balan Wonderworld - Is It That Bad?

Unk Adams

Banned
Balan Wonderworld continues to drop like a rock in price and can be found for $20 or less already. It looked interesting and creative at first until I read the reviews and watched videos online about it. Apparently the game design which revolves around costumes is tedious and it has horrible performance problems (especially on the Switch), among other flaws.

However - is it that bad? Is it at least fun in an old school platformer kind of way? I noticed it almost has an overwhelmingly bad reception but there are a few people here and there that claim they enjoyed it... I wonder what the chances are of this coming to Game Pass or dropping in price to Mighty No. 9 levels of clearance (where it sits for $5 in clearance bins for years and yet still no one wants it).

Apparently the demo was so bad that it was removed entirely from all storefronts.

belmarduk

Its so deeply discounted already... and I could really go for a new platform, so I had many of the same questions.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It’s a shit game. I believe there’s a demo if you’re interested in wasting 10 minutes of your life.

Neff

I gave it a more than fair chance and honestly yes. It's one of the most inept projects from a developer and publisher with proven pedigrees I've ever seen.

It has its moments, and there's a unique sense of style about it which is infectious, but it's in no way worth it to slog through those simplistic levels with those simplistic characters, abilities and physics. The gameplay, such as it is, is almost non-existent. It's incredibly disappointing even with low expectations.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Balan Wonderworld continues to drop like a rock in price and can be found for $20 or less already. It looked interesting and creative at first until I read the reviews and watched videos online about it. Apparently the game design which revolves around costumes is tedious and it has horrible performance problems (especially on the Switch), among other flaws.

However - is it that bad? Is it at least fun in an old school platformer kind of way? I noticed it almost has an overwhelmingly bad reception but there are a few people here and there that claim they enjoyed it... I wonder what the chances are of this coming to Game Pass or dropping in price to Mighty No. 9 levels of clearance (where it sits for $5 in clearance bins for years and yet still no one wants it).

Apparently the demo was so bad that it was removed entirely from all storefronts.
If you’re looking for a good platformer, that not a lot of people have played, you might want to consider

1) Rayman Legends (2D platforming brilliance)

or

2) A Hat In Time. Great 3D platformer, best on PC but good on consoles as well.

poodaddy

No. Its perfectly serviceable. Its because square didnt pay off the mainstream gaming media which are corrupt to the core.
Chevy Chase Reaction GIF

anthony2690

Banned
Wow it's only £12 Already on PS4, what includes a ps5 upgrade (Amazon)

Tbh the demo, saved me from buying this, as I was tempted to take a punt, as I loved Billy Hatcher, and Nights into dreams and was hoping it would be a mix of the two.

But it's bad, like really bad, can't say if the proper game is better, but I don't fancy wasting my time to find out :p

Aldynes

Here you go, a positive take on the game for those who want another opinion, If the game is sub 20$ that could be interesting for some.

Reactions: Isa
The demo was shockingly bad to the point where I questioned Square's sanity in releasing the game. Needless to say Yuji Naka's reputation is forever tarnished. One of those once-in-a-generation games where you just sit back and say "how?" "why?".

TheGrat1

I never touched it but the fact that they called it "Wonderworld" instead of "Wonderland" got my Spidey senses tingling. I can not explain how but the fact that they chose the title that rolls off the tongue worse despite and easily acceptable replacement signaled to me that something was amiss.

nkarafo

The demo was shockingly bad to the point where I questioned Square's sanity in releasing the game. Needless to say Yuji Naka's reputation is forever tarnished. One of those once-in-a-generation games where you just sit back and say "how?" "why?".
So Yuji Naka's "Daikatana" then?

Last edited:

LordCBH

As bad as you’re thinking it could be, it’s worse. It’s poorly designed, the power up system is dogshit, and…well….it’s. Just. Bad.

Havoc2049

Here you go, a positive take on the game for those who want another opinion, If the game is sub 20$ that could be interesting for some.

I fall into the Pete Dorr camp and like Balan Wonderworld. I'm a Yuji Naka fan though and enjoy Sonic Adventure, Burning Rangers and Phantasy Star Online/Universe. I also enjoy taking a break from the MMO, FPS, Simulation and RPG grind every now and then with goofy light hearted Japanese games. Balan fits that bill for me. I enjoy games like Gun Gun Pixies, Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls, and Akiba's Trip, so take my recommendation of Balan Wonderworld at your own risk.

nush

I fall into the Pete Dorr camp and like Balan Wonderworld. I'm a Yuji Naka fan though and enjoy Sonic Adventure, Burning Rangers and Phantasy Star Online/Universe. I also enjoy taking a break from the MMO, FPS, Simulation and RPG grind every now and then with goofy light hearted Japanese games. Balan fits that bill for me. I enjoy games like Gun Gun Pixies, Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls, and Akiba's Trip, so take my recommendation of Balan Wonderworld at your own risk.
No love for Flick Pig?

I'm willing to bet its not that bad. Its probably just another case where the media overreacts per usual and tanks a game for some gripes. The public is just rolling with it. Wouldn't be a first anyway.

Saddest thing about this spectacle is that Naka is considering to exit the gaming industry over it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am currently playing it, have played three worlds so far. It is fun and not a garbage game, but it has some pretty obvious and easily avoided issues. Creative level design though.

rubenburgt

If you prefer graphics above gameplay then go ahead and play it.

If you care even the slightest bit about gameplay then avoid it at all costs.

It's like, for me I feel it didn't live up to the pedigree that was hyped up so much in the advertising, I expected something more fun from them but I don't think it's the worst game out there. Maybe young uns would get more out of it than me

Shubh_C63

Yeah I think he was let go from the company or left on it own. Probably (definitely) because of Balan Wonderland.

Top Bottom