• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3, New Teaser Gameplay Revealed | Summer Game Fest

They will not throw in a dialogue bar and ruin the cinematography for the trailer, nor will the excessively show a main character that has no set personality since you control all of his decisions.
Maybe. But Larian having reasons for not showing any actual gameplay doesn't change the fact that they're not... showing any actual gameplay. This is not a gameplay trailer.

I don't see why this even up for debate, considering actual gameplay trailers for Baldur's Gate 3 already exist:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
August 25th Armored core 6
August 31st Baldur’s Gate III
September 6th Starfield

Oh No Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Are you fucking kidding me?

My body is not ready

Baldur gonna have to take a back seat for me.

Really wanna like this but have zero interest in the emphasis on named actors and cast of 'characters' in this. Just kills my interest. Really hoping you can make a party from scratch.
Similar to DOS2.

You can make your character from scratch, OR edit the main characters. Scratch gives you more control, but you'll lose out on some story.

Guilty_AI

Btw gus for someone whos never plaued BG, how is the gameplay like? Is it like MMO or like Coop?
I assume you're asking how crpgs play as a whole, since BG is just that.

Its not a MMO, its essentially single-player but can be played coop with friends or randoms online. Aside from that, plays like a normal RPG, but mechanics and storyline in this genre tend take the frontseat, being much more in-depth than 'mainstream' RPGs like Skyrim or pseudo-RPGs like The Witcher 3 (though the level of that depth obviously depends on the title).

Using BG as reference, in such games you're often free to permanently kill 99% of NPCs you see, you have tons of dialogue choices, all of which affect the progression of the game, proper character building is crucial and you cannot afford to just put points wherever, as combat veers towards a more tactical nature. One key difference between older BG games and BG3 is that older were real-time combat with pause, while BG3 is turn-based.

One reason people are excited to BG3 is because it promises to have the depth of traditional crpgs coupled with the immersiveness and production value of mainstream AAA games, something other crpgs are often lacking as those aren't their main focus.

Last edited:
I assume you're asking how crpgs play as a whole, since BG is just that.

Its not a MMO, its essentially single-player but can be played coop with friends or randoms online. Aside from that, plays like a normal RPG, but mechanics and storyline in this genre tend take the frontseat, being much more in-depth than 'mainstream' RPGs like Skyrim or pseudo-RPGs like The Witcher 3 (though the level of that depth obviously depends on the title).

Using BG as reference, in such games you're often free to permanently kill 99% of NPCs you see, you have tons of dialogue choices, all of which affect the progression of the game, proper character building is crucial and you cannot afford to just put points wherever, as combat veers towards a more tactical nature. One key difference between older BG games and BG3 is that older were real-time combat with pause, while BG3 is turn-based.

One reason people are excited to BG3 is because it promises to have the depth of traditional crpgs coupled with the immersiveness and production value of mainstream AAA games, something other crpgs are often lacking as those aren't their main focus.
Thanks for the explanation, G!

I see; that is interesting. While turn-based combat turns me off (pun intended), I look forward to what BG3 has to offer given its supposedly rich lore and history.

Also, what exactly is a crpg and how is it unique? I googled and it just said "computer rpg"

Skifi28

This thread reminded me, I will soon have to decide which platform to buy this on. If the console port turns out to be good, I'm not looking forward to the sheer agony of making that choice.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Thanks for the explanation, G!

I see; that is interesting. While turn-based combat turns me off (pun intended), I look forward to what BG3 has to offer given its supposedly rich lore and history.
I honestly didn't like turn-based combat either, until i played Divinity OS2 (their previous game). I personally know people in the same situation. It can be hard to learn the ropes, but once you do it becomes veeeeery addictive, to the point where every DOS2 game i played with friends we'd just end up killing everything we could.

Also, what exactly is a crpg and how is it unique? I googled and it just said "computer rpg"
Its controversial. It initially really just stood for rpgs designed for computers, then people started interpreting it as classic rpg. Now the genre is mostly know for isometric perspective and lots of dialogue, but people also used to call games like Morrowind and Diablo crpgs. Don't fret too much over it, just see Baldurs Gate as a rpg with very in-depth rpg mechanics straight out of table-top rpgs.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

This thread reminded me, I will soon have to decide which platform to buy this on. If the console port turns out to be good, I'm not looking forward to the sheer agony of making that choice.
Larian do support controllers well considering the genre, but this kind of gameplay asks for a K&M no matter what.

Then there's mods. This is the kind of game that can improve a lot with modding, like removing level caps, increasing number of party members, and such.

Last edited:
GTFO with this fanboi bulls***. The Steam Deck, ROG Handheld, and PCs have weaker specs.

There’s zero legit reason why this isn’t on the XSX/XSS. Split screen can be removed from the XSS version if that’s the true hold up…but we know it isn’t.
They can't make a different version for the Series S compared to the X. I guess they could have dumbed down both the S and X versions, but Microsoft wouldn't like that either.

And why do we know that's not the real reason? The devs flat out said it was.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe. But Larian having reasons for not showing any actual gameplay doesn't change the fact that they're not... showing any actual gameplay. This is not a gameplay trailer.

I don't see why this even up for debate, considering actual gameplay trailers for Baldur's Gate 3 already exist:

To be fair, Larian never said this was a gameplay trailer. This was simply introducing Jason Issacs as one of the voice actors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom