• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 peaked at 813,000 simultaneous players on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
baldursgate3.jpg

Baldur's Gate 3 reached over 800,000 concurrent players on Steam on Sunday, and peaked within a few days of its launch, CEO says the numbers blew expectations 8 times over

As reported by PC Gamer, citing SteamDB's figures, Larian's title has already entered Steam's lifetime top ten for concurrent players.

baldurs-gate-3-top-10-peak-ccu-beats-expectations.png

The title is ranked at No.9 at the time of writing, and knocked Apex Legends out of Steam's concurrent player charts. With 814,666 users as its current peak concurrent players count, it's closing in on Hogwarts Legacy and its 879,308 CCU.
Baldur's Gate 3 reached 500,000 concurrent players within 24 hours of launching, PC Gamer further reported, with Larian CEO Swen Vincke saying that the team had expected around 100,000 players max.

Last edited:
The game is so much fucking fun and Larian deserve everything!

I remember I called it "basically D:OS 3 with Baldur's Gate name slapped on it!" and how fucking wrong was I lol. I had little interest in it for a long time but decided to buy it and after just a few hours of playing Early Access it was completely sold on it. I didn't expect it to be this good! I think this is definitely going to be my GOTY unless Armored Core VI blows my mind but I doubt it. Nothing else is coming close to BG3 not even Zelda. Not saying Zelda is a bad game at all but BG3 is just something else. It's one of those few games that set the bar for games going forward. BOTW and The Witcher 3 were games that raised the bar and now BG3 does the same. Other studios need to try match the quality of this game now.

The game is so much fucking fun and Larian deserve everything!

I remember I called it "basically D:OS 3 with Baldur's Gate name slapped on it!" and how fucking wrong was I lol. I had little interest in it for a long time but decided to buy it and after just a few hours of playing Early Access it was completely sold on it. I didn't expect it to be this good! I think this is definitely going to be my GOTY unless Armored Core VI blows my mind but I doubt it. Nothing else is coming close to BG3 not even Zelda. Not saying Zelda is a bad game at all but BG3 is just something else. It's one of those few games that set the bar for games going forward. BOTW and The Witcher 3 were games that raised the bar and now BG3 does the same. Other studios need to try match the quality of this game now.
would you mind giving me the elevator pitch between the differences of D:OS and BG? I'm sold either way and am pretty confident I already know the differences, but I'd just like to hear your thoughts since I had a similar thinking leading up to its release

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do I need to play the first two to play this?

4paHanP.gif

Nope. 3 occurs 100+ years after 2. BG2 is also an outstanding game but obviously feels kinda dated now. Just go straight into 3 if you're not looking for a history lesson in video games.

It's absolutely unexpected. It's a turn based isometric CRPG in 2023. I hope that with the experience Larian has gained from dialogue interactivity that they'll revisit Dragon Commander as a setting.

Reactions: Fuz

Guilty_AI

would you mind giving me the elevator pitch between the differences of D:OS and BG? I'm sold either way and am pretty confident I already know the differences, but I'd just like to hear your thoughts since I had a similar thinking leading up to its release
DOS2 player here too.

For starters combat has a complete different feel to it, since it follows DnD rules and all, though many elements like high ground advantage still re-appear. There are also surfaces but they're nowhere near as prevalent as they were in DOS2 (don't expect fights scenes to become sea of flames on the first turn). Dice rolls are also a much more present mechanic, its not uncommon to have attacks that only have a 55% chance of hitting, so you must take that into account also.
Combat also feels kinda brutal at times, in DOS2 you'd be murdering everything in sight, but here taking a more conservative approach is advisable, especially since rest isn't as basic as it was in DOS2 (though its still a lot more forgiving than in other crpgs).

Story feels more serious in general. There's still some of that laid back and chaotic feeling from DOS2, but the game does a much better job at making you feel empathetic towards the characters (i guess close-up cinematics help in that aspect). I'd say story and its presentation have a much more "The Witcher 3" feel to it than DOS2, even camera angles and animations remind me of it. Plenty of story checks also rely on dice rolls, things like having origin characters die at the very beginning due to really bad roll can 100% happen.

Last edited:

Interfectum

DOS2 player here too.

For starters combat has a complete different feel to it, since it follows DnD rules and all, though many elements like high ground advantage still re-appear. There are also surfaces but they're nowhere near as prevalent as they were in DOS2 (don't expect fights scenes to become sea of flames on the first turn). Dice rolls are also a much more present mechanic, its not uncommon to have attacks that only have a 55% chance of hitting, so you must take that into account also.
Combat also feels kinda brutal at times, in DOS2 you'd be murdering everything in sight, but here taking a more conservative approach is advisable, especially since rest isn't as basic as it was in DOS2 (though its still a lot more forgiving than in other crpgs).

Story feels more serious in general. There's still some of that laid back and chaotic feeling from DOS2, but the game does a much better job at making you feel empathetic towards the characters (i guess close-up cinematics help in that aspect). I'd say story and its presentation have a much more "The Witcher 3" feel to it than DOS2, even camera angles and animations remind me of it. Plenty of story checks also rely on dice rolls, things like having origin characters die at the very beginning due to really bad roll can 100% happen.
I removed the head of a main character and turned it in for a shitty sword I'll use for prolly the next 10 hours at best. No regrets. I love this game!

DOS2 player here too.

basically sums how i feel too. i guess i'd add that i found Divinity games too silly/cartoony and i couldn't take the characters/setting too seriously. it all didn't sit well with me. even just the look of the game graphics (because of the engine?) being too similiar to Divinity put me off for a bit but i guess i'm over it now lol.

Last edited:

Damigos

Thank god
Devs please stop with the f*ing mtx-season passes-battle passes-cosmetic shop bullsh*t and just make GOOD games

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don’t know why but it feels like a game that nobody will talk about in a month or two from now.

Most people are still gonna be playing it a month from now. 25% of the Steam owners haven't even finished the tutorial. Over 90% aren't out of act 1.

The modding community and people making entire games based on this engine is gonna be something else.

Wildebeest

Goes to show you how important release dates are for SP games. This isn't doing near the numbers if they released it when it was previously scheduled.
CRPG has much longer legs than MP titles that are literally unplayable outside the launch window, as only a small minority manage to hold a stable pop. I remember journalists literally begging us to buy Deathloop because the matchmaking was already struggling just after release and half the game experience would be just missing if you played it just weeks later. Hah!

Lokaum D+

great numbers, but 10% or less ll finish the game, the rest ll just drop it after some time

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Well deserved. Very janky and a has a lot of bugs but it's the next level in CRPGS and the bar has been re-set. I will accept nothing less.

Tomeru

Game is amazing. Reminds of the good times I had with NWN and its sequal (and the goated motb exp).

I read something about them wanting the next game be smaller, but I hope this one will get more love and content with time. Its just so good.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's getting harder to ignore. I don't like these games but I will keep an eye on it.
Only Hogwarts was higher this year and it was fantastic

I'm about 40 hours in and still in act one...

I read a few of the differences in decisions from what i made and its insane how vastly different the whole game can be based on a few decisions you make...

I chose the Teiflins to help kill the druids, missed out on a whole companion and all their quest, i killed the goblin leaders instead of helping them and some how...lost my eye.

It probably won't win game of the year cause TOTK is just easier to get involved...the combat in this game is BRUTAL. But this is a miracle of a game. If elden ring didn't come out last year it would be best game in a decade.

Top Bottom