• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

Gunsmithx

If you need more, they've expressed specific interest in doing a Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition after BG2:EE.

The good news about all these EEs is there's a very high chance any improvements made to the engine and UI of the future games will be rolled back in to the earlier releases as well.

They said they are also supporting cloud saves, possibly even PC/iPad syncing.

Last update, the platforms have not been exhausted... there's seemingly additional platforms besides PC/iPad to be announced.

hmm... wonder if thats hinting at android support then, can't think of what else it could be unless they went console.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

The enhanced iPad version of classic role-playing game Baldur's Gate, slated for release this summer, won't cost you more than $10. Also, it will support multiplayer.

An enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn is in the works for iPad later this year as well.

This is all according to Cameron Tofer, COO of developer Beamdog, who told me today in a phone interview that it would be "crazy" to charge more than $10 for the 1998 PC game.

"Baldurs Gate is a pretty big game and we're not cutting it down to size," Tofer said. "There's a boatload of content there, 80+ hours. But past ten dollars doesn't make sense."

We'll have more on the future of Baldur's Gate, including details on how the upcoming port will take advantage of the iPad's touchscreen interface, tomorrow morning.

@jasonschreier mention Baldur's Gate II will be available for iPad as well, details tomorrow

Perkel

Banned
Meh. When I heard "enhanced", I thought the graphics would be better, like ToEE or something. Maybe if we could get some actual screen captures or the game in motion and not a picture of it running on an iPad, I could get a better impression.

It's only mod not remake. BG1 will use Throne of Ball engine (already modders did that few years ago) and they will add aditional content.

What i'm excited about is PROPER MULTI.

BG2/1 multi just don't work on modern PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cloud saves, proper multiplayer support, under $10, improved touch interface... sounding great. SE could take a few notes here!

So if they make BG3, will they make it with the ipad interface in mind? This could get ugly.

Considering they'll have BG1 & 2 running with the iPad interface in mind, any new content should not suffer in any way for the platform it's played on.

Rad-

Okay, proper multiplayer and that price and I'm officially a bit hyped. I loved playing BG with a friend but setting it up was way harder than it should have been.

Maybe we can get some GAF games going? :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
A little more info:

http://kotaku.com/5896538/they-hope-baldurs-gate-will-revive-the-classic-rpg

"The desktop versions of both games won't be changed much, Tofer says. They'll have higher resolutions and full-screen modes, as well as "working" multi-player, but they won't look too different from their original incarnations in 1998 and 2000.

On the other hand, Tofer says the iPad version will be a "radical departure from the interface." The text will be bigger. You'll be able to pinch the screen to zoom in and out. You'll be able to gesture between screens instead of clicking the tab. The whole game might be zoomed in a little more."

ced

BG2 / TOB is one of my favorites games ever.

Funny thing is, I could never get into BG, I'll be giving it another shot it seems.

Xanathus

How did multiplayer in BG work anyway? Do you have a character that is stored client-side which can you bring along to any game being hosted, and the game's progression is based on the host's progression but you'll save any changes made to your character? Or do you just pick or create a character to control in the host's game and you can't bring it over to another person's game?

Duress

Didn't you just play as one of the characters in the host's party composition in multiplayer? It's been a while since I looked into it.

Yaska

Didn't you just play as one of the characters in the host's party composition in multiplayer? It's been a while since I looked into it.

Pretty much. Lan play still works quite well with tutu. Played around with friends a year ago using tutu.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to buy this if you already have the games (unless just to support the developer). Unless the new content is good which I doubt it will be all that great.
Most of the stuff seems to already be done with mods.

This will be great for people that have never played though.

Xanathus

That kinda stinks but is understandable. Hopefully they add in lobby support for the enhanced version or at the very least UPnP.

AEREC

If you need more, they've expressed specific interest in doing a Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition after BG2:EE.

The good news about all these EEs is there's a very high chance any improvements made to the engine and UI of the future games will be rolled back in to the earlier releases as well.

They said they are also supporting cloud saves, possibly even PC/iPad syncing.

Last update, the platforms have not been exhausted... there's seemingly additional platforms besides PC/iPad to be announced.

This si good to hear...while Ive played most of the BG series, I never played Planescape Torment.

Im also curious if you would be able to import your character from BG1 to BG2 (like in the PC versions)? I would assume so but Im not too certain given Ive never seen another iOS app do that.

Sothpaw

Considering they'll have BG1 & 2 running with the iPad interface in mind, any new content should not suffer in any way for the platform it's played on.

That's a little shortsighted don't you think? The touch screen design will limit the interface/hotkey potential. Unless they make a separate version for PC, but given the size of the company I know that will not happen.

Emitan

That's a little shortsighted don't you think? The touch screen design will limit the interface/hotkey potential. Unless they make a separate version for PC, but given the size of the company I know that will not happen.

If only there were already 2 Baldur's Gate games on PC with PC centric UIs...

i think scrolling the map with 2 fingers would work better and using one finger to select things like draw boxes. Hope this comes to the amazon android store. Would be much more inclined to buy an android tablet than an ipad.
actually ARM windows 8 would be my first choice.

AEREC

yeah...my first reaction was one of excitement, but these games are very story heavy...not sure how well it would flow with other people in the party..

Ya...Mp in these games isnt a big draw for me. But if it gets other people interested than that's fine.

Rad-

Can someone explain how multi could work?

? You never played BG2 in multi? It was a hassle to set up the server but the game itself was great fun. It becomes more action-y in multiplayer (not much pausing) but that's not a bad thing actually as it makes the game feel quite different to singleplayer.

However there is one battle that is haaaard in multiplayer and that is Demogorgon.

Haunted

This announcement prompted me to play Avadon: The Black Fortress, which is supposedly in a similar style, and I have to say... if you can forgive a technically more modern game to have slightly worse art than the best titles from the Infinity Engine era, it really scratches that itch nicely.

Comes recommended to fans of the genre.

Remmy2112

It's still fairly early but based on that gameplay screenshot it looks like BG Enhanced is a professional version of Baldurs Gate Trilogy, a mod for BG1/2/expansions which brought BG1's content into the improved engine of BG2, as well as the improved mechanics, spells, classes, etc etc.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At this rate, BG1EE will come out just about when I finish my entire run through all of the baldurings.

I just got to the city itself in BG1, which has a tendency to sort of overwhelm me with options so I need to just buckle down and get shit done for Scar, I think.

Karak

This announcement prompted me to play Avadon: The Black Fortress, which is supposedly in a similar style, and I have to say... if you can forgive a technically more modern game to have slightly worse art than the best titles from the Infinity Engine era, it really scratches that itch nicely.

Agreed. Almost everything Spiderweb Software does rocks.

They're probably putting those mods in

Any reason to believe this- twitter comments, etc?

Just curious, as they seem pretty open about the process.

I have only ever played with all those mods once, and the game is still great without, but I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity to have them incorporated.

Wow, that is very ugly. But good gameplay? How about the story/characters? More BG or Icewind Dale in regard to NPCs?

Emitan

Any reason to believe this- twitter comments, etc?

Just curious, as they seem pretty open about the process.

I have only ever played with all those mods once, and the game is still great without, but I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity to have them incorporated.

I think they mentioned including popular mods.

Vamphuntr

A little more info:

http://kotaku.com/5896538/they-hope-baldurs-gate-will-revive-the-classic-rpg

"The desktop versions of both games won't be changed much, Tofer says. They'll have higher resolutions and full-screen modes, as well as "working" multi-player, but they won't look too different from their original incarnations in 1998 and 2000.

On the other hand, Tofer says the iPad version will be a "radical departure from the interface." The text will be bigger. You'll be able to pinch the screen to zoom in and out. You'll be able to gesture between screens instead of clicking the tab. The whole game might be zoomed in a little more."

It's a shame the desktop version will be the same. Multiplayer is also working with my GOG copy. Played the whole game in MP recently. You do need Hamachi though.

Since this is coming out so soon it seems the tweak will be minor? At least it's good more people will get to play these. Since I don't plan on getting an Ipad I will stick with the GOG versions.

Shame they won't have the zoom on the PC version. It would be really cool to be able to zoom-in and out when you have a high res. The graphics just get way too tiny at say, 1080p.

syko de4d

Since this is coming out so soon it seems the tweak will be minor?

They say that they already work for one year on BG EE.
Maybe we will get nothing new, only 2-4hours new quests, but maybe we will get 100 hours new quests, great Multiplayer Mod and a great Modtool.
We will see ^^

Vamphuntr

They say that they already work for one year on BG EE.
Maybe we will get nothing new, only 2-4hours new quests, but maybe we will get 100 hours new quests, great Multiplayer Mod and a great Modtool.
We will see ^^

Is the new stuff written by the original writers?

syko de4d

Is the new stuff written by the original writers?

some old people from bioware working on this game but i have no idea who, the only one i know is the Founder of Beamdog/Overhaul Games Trent Oster.

Here something about him:
I’ve been in game development for the last sixteen years, the vast majority working at BioWare as a Project Director. I started my career as an independent developer, creating a shareware title called “Blasteroids 3D”. As we wrapped work up on “Blasteroids” we formed a new company called “Bioware”. Initially there were six equal shareholders, but over time that fell to five and then two of us broke off and formed a company called “Pyrotek Game Studios”. Pyrotek lasted a whopping year or so and then I rejoined BioWare. During my second BioWare stint, I worked on Baldur’s Gate, lead the development of Neverwinter Nights and its expansions, worked for two years as the Director of Technology and lead the development on the Eclipse Engine (which powers Dragon Age). I also started a new and exciting project which failed to survive the recession. EA: Edmonton (BioWare) and I parted ways in June 2009 and I think we’re both better for it.

but he is not the only one, here sth about Overhaul Games

"We are Overhaul Games. since we got our start at Bioware we've made a few games, met a few friends, and now we're back working on the games we love. For years we've wanted to continue our journey on Baldur's Gate, and now after months negotiations we get to do just that.
We're located in Edmonton along fashionable Whyte Avenue, down the street from the original Bioware office"

maybe Overhaul Games is more Bioware than Bioware itself xD

Vamphuntr

some old people from bioware working on this game but i have no idea who, the only one i know is the Founder of Beamdog/Overhaul Games Trent Oster.

Here something about him:
I’ve been in game development for the last sixteen years, the vast majority working at BioWare as a Project Director. I started my career as an independent developer, creating a shareware title called “Blasteroids 3D”. As we wrapped work up on “Blasteroids” we formed a new company called “Bioware”. Initially there were six equal shareholders, but over time that fell to five and then two of us broke off and formed a company called “Pyrotek Game Studios”. Pyrotek lasted a whopping year or so and then I rejoined BioWare. During my second BioWare stint, I worked on Baldur’s Gate, lead the development of Neverwinter Nights and its expansions, worked for two years as the Director of Technology and lead the development on the Eclipse Engine (which powers Dragon Age). I also started a new and exciting project which failed to survive the recession. EA: Edmonton (BioWare) and I parted ways in June 2009 and I think we’re both better for it.

but he is not the only one, here sth about Overhaul Games

"We are Overhaul Games. since we got our start at Bioware we've made a few games, met a few friends, and now we're back working on the games we love. For years we've wanted to continue our journey on Baldur's Gate, and now after months negotiations we get to do just that.
We're located in Edmonton along fashionable Whyte Avenue, down the street from the original Bioware office"

maybe Overhaul Games is more Bioware than Bioware itself xD

I see, thanks. At least they worked on the game. It doesn't seem like those in charge of the dialogues and plot are in though. Let's hope for the best.

Anyone know if Bioware still has the rights for the Infinity Engine or did that go to Atari or EA?

syko de4d

I see, thanks. At least they worked on the game. It doesn't seem like those in charge of the dialogues and plot are in though. Let's hope for the best.

Anyone know if Bioware still has the rights for the Infinity Engine or did that go to Atari or EA?

It would be great if they get Drew Karpyshyn after he left Bioware if they make BG3, but i belive he will never ever write Storys for Games again *cry*
We will see what we get, maybe we will get new content as big as a new Addon. A good team can make alot of new content in 1,5 years with the tools today for an old 2D Game. I hope we will get this Content.

And the infinite Engine, mhhh the rights of all games based on this Engine belongs to Atari. So, i would think the engine itself would belong to Atari too.

It would be great if they get Drew Karpyshyn after he left Bioware if they make BG3, but i belive he will never ever write Storys for Games again *cry*
We will see what we get, maybe we will get new content as big as a new Addon. A good team can make alot of new content in 1,5 years with the tools today for an old 2D Game. I hope we will get this Content.

And the infinite Engine, mhhh the rights of all games based on this Engine belongs to Atari. So, i would think the engine itself would belong to Atari too.

The scope of the new content seems to be quite small based on what is advertised- new adventure and a new party member. If they really added hours of new content I imagine they would play it up a lot more. Hopefully I am wrong. It is possible that they consider Tales of the Sword Coast to be an "adventure" and by that standard, that would be a considerable amount of new content. It just is not the way I read it.

Also, the amount is not necessarily tied to the quality, and whether any of these people worked on the original it is impossible to really judge the work we will receive until we get it, or if we get a resume that says- I did this on this game.

stabwound

Neo Member
This keeps getting worse and worse. So much for an "enhanced" version. It sounds as though the visuals aren't even going to be tweaked. It's just going to be a lame re-release with mods built into it...

It will be $10 or less, introduce new people to the game, and its success will determine what amount of new content we get in future games such as BG2EE, as well as whether we will get future games like Planescape: Torment and BG3. I would recommend you check out Trent Oster's Twitter, as he is very open about what is going on, what is definite, and what is still up in the air.

Admittedly the enhancements don't sound that great in scope. But from what I understand it is still in development. The announcement promised "modern" updates to the game and engine, while a post a short while ago in this thread indicated the PC version is largely unchanged aside from higher resolution support.

https://twitter.com/#!/trentoster

edit: Just two hours ago he promised a major overhaul to the PC UI, and that future enhancements will be rolled out in time. I assume he means announcements, but I guess he could mean post-release updates.

Sullen

This keeps getting worse and worse. So much for an "enhanced" version. It sounds as though the visuals aren't even going to be tweaked. It's just going to be a lame re-release with mods built into it...

What needs to be 'tweaked' about the visuals exactly? The visuals on the original game still look quite beautiful at high resolution. Arguably the only thing that could be redone are character sprites and that is highly debatable among some people.

I own 3 copies of the game and I wouldn't hesitate putting down more money for an iPad version as long as they don't break it. If it worked as intended on an iPad and wasn't anything more than the original game it would still be worth it. Why? Because it's Baldur's Gate.

Aeana

It will be $10 or less, introduce new people to the game, and its success will determine what amount of new content we get in future games such as BG2EE, as well as whether we will get future games like Planescape: Torment and BG3. I would recommend you check out Trent Oster's Twitter, as he is very open about what is going on, what is definite, and what is still up in the air.

Admittedly the enhancements don't sound that great in scope. But from what I understand it is still in development. The announcement promised "modern" updates to the game and engine, while a post a short while ago in this thread indicated the PC version is largely unchanged aside from higher resolution support.

https://twitter.com/#!/trentoster

edit: Just two hours ago he promised a major overhaul to the PC UI, and that future enhancements will be rolled out in time. I assume he means announcements, but I guess he could mean post-release updates.

That alone makes it worthwhile, then.

Top Bottom