• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands that you don't get the appeal of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

What are some bands that, try as you might, you can't seem to get into.?

For me it's Vampire Weekend. I bought their first album off the strength of the song "Oxford Comma" plus all of the hype that surrounded them. I did not like it at all. I tried again with their latest album and yeah,...it's just not doing anything for me. I feel it's almost to hipetery, and they're more concerned with making something that sounds different as opposed to just making good music.

DrSlek

Daft Punk and Nirvana.

Just cannot get into most of their songs, bar a few of the more popular ones.

Ultima_5

I didn't like vampire weekend cuz the same fucks who have me shit for liking ska in high school became vampire weekend fans. Hyprocrites

Also tool

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Radiohead and Weezer. I can't help but think of the phrase "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius." when it comes to those two.

Dawnblade

Banned
Guess it's not really a band, but Capital Cities. Not a huge fan of that 80's sound and not sure why it's gotten popular again

Hip hop, rap, etc. Kanye. Drake. Jay-Z.

99.999% of the time, it simply doesn't click. What the hell is with the rapid ejaculation of words that seem to come from a mouth with ADHD.

Rush.
The shitty bands or musicians I hear when people on gaming side jizz their pants over some miscellaneous videogame OST

Alphahawk

Guess it's not really a band, but Capital Cities. Not a huge fan of that 80's sound and not sure why it's gotten popular again

Music is cyclical, that's why.

CaptainGyro said:
The shitty bands or musicians I hear when people on gaming side jizz their pants over some videogame game OST

Yeah, I don't get the video game music love either. I mean, sure some video games sound nice but I could never really listen to it outside of the game, I don't think.

potam

Banned
Radiohead and Weezer. I can't help but think of the phrase "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius." when it comes to those two.

I think I have most of their discography on my iPod, because I told myself I would listen to them and figure out why they're popular. Every time they pop up, I skip the song. I just don't get it. All their newer stuff just sounds like noise with Thom Yorke moaning over it. It just seems like the band where if you don't like it, you must not like good music, according to music culture.

Madness

Not necessarily bands, but I don't get the appeal of people who are nothing more than a pretty face. They don't write their own music, don't create their own beats or rhythm, have stylists, producers create this image and yet people say shit like the greatest of all time.

Like people say One Direction is better than the Beatles, on what metric? Looks?

Edit: and sorry Pop-GAF but I hate Rihanna, Katy Perry, Kesha and shit.

Captain Beefhart

Trout Mask Replica is one of those albums that I just don't get how anyone would like. Like at least with some bands I understand how someone could like it even if it isn't my thing, not with them.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Here are some prime slime examples of things that just don't move me.

Linkin Park
Neutral Milk Hotel
Weezer
Def Leppard
Crystal Castles
Radiohead
Coldplay
Metallica
Muse
Interpol
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Animal Collective
Panic! At the Disco
Five Finger Death Punch
U2
Whitesnake
The Used
Bullet For My Valentine
Guns N' Roses
Avenged Sevenfold
Journey
Poison
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Black Keys
Cage the Elephant
Paramore
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
My Chemical Romance
Blink-182
Mötley Crüe
The All American Rejects
Hawthorne Heights
The Mars Volta
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen

Alphahawk

I think I have most of their discography on my iPod, because I told myself I would listen to them and figure out why they're popular. Every time they pop up, I skip the song. I just don't get it. All their newer stuff just sounds like noise with Thom Yorke moaning over it. It just seems like the band where if you don't like it, you must not like good music, according to music culture.

I don't get new Radiohead either. There are some people who swear by Kid A as the "Best album eva" I just can't see.

In Rainbows was kinda good, I guess.

Chris R

most metal

seems to revel in angst

I love metal when I can understand what the band is singing. When they start to scream I change the radio station.

Don't get the appeal of country (and I'm calling "country" music about losing your dog while driving your pickup truck to a lake, TSwift is fine when she doesn't sing about that stuff).

Moppeh

Banned
Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was pretty sad watching a bunch of 50 year olds trying to act 18.

:(

I was hoping no one would mention my favorite band. Honestly though, that's mostly only in their older songs and their live performances. I'd say their past 4 or so albums have a large amount of more mature material, especially once they ended their drug abuse.

I agree, I don't like them at all, and I grew up when they were popular. Never clicked for me to this day.

Although, yellow ledbetter misheard lyrics is one of my favorite youtube videos of all time

twitch
What don't you like about them?
Geddie Lee's voice kills it for me

anything popular or any music that exists outside of the aesthetics I familiarized myself with during my adolescence.

semi-real answer:
captain beefheart

Z..

Almost all prog rock. I'm not a fan of listening to musicians masurbate.

I think you either mean shred or have been listening to the wrong prog bands, dude. Good prog creates a soundscape and takes you on a journey, technical showing off is lame-prog.

Here are some prime slime examples of things that just don't move me.

Linkin Park
Neutral Milk Hotel
Weezer
Def Leppard
Crystal Castles
Radiohead
Coldplay
Metallica
Muse
Interpol
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Animal Collective
Panic! At the Disco
Five Finger Death Punch
U2
Whitesnake
The Used
Bullet For My Valentine
Guns N' Roses
Avenged Sevenfold
Journey
Poison
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Black Keys
Cage the Elephant
Paramore
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
My Chemical Romance
Blink-182
Mötley Crüe
The All American Rejects
Hawthorne Heights
The Mars Volta
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen

five finger death punch doesn't move you? enough trolling though

Im not trolling, and I don't realy like to participate in these kinda threads..and I KNOW ill get alot of hate for this...but

Tom Waits music does nothing for me, and I don't understand the appeal, not that I hate his music or anything!, I just don't understand the praise. y'know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom