• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Well I've played three separate towns so far. First town died of measles because I didn't know what a hospital/medicine place was. Second town died of starvation because I accidentally stopped production of all my food places. Third town died of starvation in Winter 3 for reasons unknown. Greedy bastards.

Lingitiz

Played for about 2 hours. This game is great. My first town ended in mass starvation though which isn't nice. I think I expanded a bit too fast and couldn't produce enough food.

Just got the game myself. It runs really, really well (60+ FPS consistently) on my crap laptop that only has a Core 2 Duo CPU and a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 card at 1080p and using the DX11 renderer which it selected automatically.

I can definitely recommend this game to those with crappy, ancient machines like mine.

Game really needs Vsync on though, without it the tearing really hurts the eyes.

Screenshot of settings and GPU usage with GPUz overlaid:-

ibxE9EF2yZdt3a.PNG

Where is the savedata located though?

EDIT:- Found it, it's at C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Banished\Save

Harabec

Neo Member
Having a lot of fun.
Had one starvation where I lost a third of my village (about fifty people) and a rather bad outbreak of cholera.
Population is around 350 now with massive surplus of food, but tools and clothing are dropping rather rapidly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well I played for about five hours tonight. Did all the tutorials first which went fast, then started my first town of Amityville on hard with valleys and a large map. Man starting on hard makes that first winter real dicey, lol. I managed to survive and ended my first year with this nice little village:

Then things went along great for a few years, I slowly expanded, grabbing up all the stone and iron laying around. Set up a tailor and blacksmith to make tools and coats. I almost ran out of tools, I was down to two spare tools when the blacksmith finally started producing. My gathering hut fed the village while I set up some fishing spots and a few new houses, and then built a trading port because I needed seeds to plant crops and I also wanted some livestock.

I then realized that I really didn't have much to trade with. A few merchants came and went, some with things I really wanted, but my town was just scraping by and I couldn't afford to buy anything. So I gradually set up a mine and a second blacksmith and started mass producing tools for trade.

Right about then my food situation got very scary. As my town slowly grew my food supply slowly dwindled, my gatherers just couldn't keep up. So I stopped building everything and put everyone I could into the fishing huts. I barely eaked by for a few winters until I managed to get up a second gathering hut a few clicks to the east. Somehow I managed to keep my people alive. By this time a new merchant came along with wheat seeds, and I just barely managed to afford them. After I planted a field full of wheat all of my food problems went away, and I've been steadily growing since.

This is how my Amityville looked at the end of tonight:

This game is addicting. It's even harder than I thought it would be, yet it manages to be terrible fun. That Civ "one more turn effect" is in full force with Banished, holy cow.

Cereal

This game is addicting. It's even harder than I thought it would be, yet it manages to be terrible fun. That Civ "one more turn effect" is in full force with Banished, holy cow.
Can't agree with this enough. I fell into a "Civ hole" with this game tonight. "Just get to Spring and then go to bed..." 3 Springs later, it's finally happening.

Great game.

My villagers also have weird morals. Two of them were alone in separate homes and instead of moving with each other and make some babies, they invited 10 year olds of the opposite sex to move in with them :x
Waiting for a child to pop at the moment.

Edit: Adalupe gave birth at 11. For shame, Enning ! You were 36.

Well, they are banished for a reason.

Loving this game btw. Put in a solid four hours yesterday, and think I got a decent thing going. Expecting calamity to murder all my citizens soon.

Kind of sucks that some houses will take waaay too much food and not leave enough for everyone else.

Two solutions to this:

1. Build a boarding house as your first housing structure, that way everyone shares the resources.

I love this because in games where these kinds of structures exist (like Tropico) I never build them because the incremental resource jump to make legitimate housing is just too small to make it worth it. With the storage system in Banished, though, it actually makes the boarding house useful - something I thought I'd never see.

2. Build food production first and housing last on your first year.

While trying to poke around for sales statistics (if anyone can provide this for me I'd be most appreciative, I'd like to see how this guy made out) I found a warning tag on Banished that it has a DRM called "Tages". A search shows this was the same DRM in Chronicles of Riddick (a game I don't own) and there's a shit-ton of negative publicity about it, with many people claiming it's "just as bad" or "almost as bad" as Starforce.

Have we heard any official word on this? My Google-fu isn't turning up much.

While trying to poke around for sales statistics (if anyone can provide this for me I'd be most appreciative, I'd like to see how this guy made out) I found a warning tag on Banished that it has a DRM called "Tages". A search shows this was the same DRM in Chronicles of Riddick (a game I don't own) and there's a shit-ton of negative publicity about it, with many people claiming it's "just as bad" or "almost as bad" as Starforce.

Is this the Steam version?

Shahadan

In this kind of game I'm usually a huge nerd for unlockable and upgradable buildings so something is missing and my life feels empty.
My town has about 200 villagers and succesfully survived Disentry so that feels good though. My only fear is some fire or something. Haven't seen disasters yet except for a fire that quickly destroyed my last town so I put wells everywhere :lol:

oipic

While trying to poke around for sales statistics (if anyone can provide this for me I'd be most appreciative, I'd like to see how this guy made out) I found a warning tag on Banished that it has a DRM called "Tages". <snip>

I've consumed a lot of media and discussion concerning Banished, and can't recall any references to TAGES. It's DRM-free when purchased via GOG or the official site, so it's unlikely there's the shadowy presence of TAGES lurking within.

TAGES wasn't mentioned somewhere in reference to the Anno series instead, was it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/1t0l75/banished_ama/ce3544e

I bought it from the website, and it claims to be DRM free (and since it's sold through Humble that seems credible).

It came up in a weird way.

I was searching for Banished first day sales statistics and got brought to Steam's statistic section, only in the German language. I didn't realize it and clicked on Banished. It took me to the German Steam Banished page where's there's a big red warning box about the TAGES DRM.

I'll put the link here, but I'm not sure if it'll work: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/

Let me know if you guys see it, otherwise i'll take a screenshot.

Oh man, got killed by the hidden assassin.

Lack of kids.

Didn't realize it, but the youngins need their own homes to make more kids. And they stop having kids after the age of 30 or something. Town just died of old age.

DrBo42

Oh man, got killed by the hidden assassin.

Lack of kids.

Didn't realize it, but the youngins need their own homes to make more kids. And they stop having kids after the age of 30 or something. Town just died of old age.

Same thing happened to me. It's so eerie when the entire population dies and the game just keeps going. Ghost towns full of corpses and broken dreams.

JaseC

It came up in a weird way.

I was searching for Banished first day sales statistics and got brought to Steam's statistic section, only in the German language. I didn't realize it and clicked on Banished. It took me to the German Steam Banished page where's there's a big red warning box about the TAGES DRM.

I'll put the link here, but I'm not sure if it'll work: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/

Let me know if you guys see it, otherwise i'll take a screenshot.

I'm not seeing it and I'm viewing the game's German store page in German.

Jintor

The core feels very good but it really needs building and citizen/job easy identification like Tropico or something. Building designs need to be stronger, etc.

KiraFA37

30 or 60? No intermediate FPS when it dips from 60 FPS?

Sounds like Vsync is forced in the game or something. There is a Vsync option in the game right?

Got Vsync on, mind you this was when running full screen. I'm now playing windowed and it hits 40s and 50s now, so it seems it switches between 30 and 60 FPS when full and vsync is on.

Yeah I'm still not quite sure what the market does. When I built it many of my stockpile got carried to the market. If the market act as a better stockpile then why it need the worker to work in it?

I think it works like this, harvested/hunted food gets carried over to the barns. Workers of the marketplace gather food from the barns and make sure they have a varied selection of different foods, this increases healthiness due to a more varied diet. Civilians now prefer to go to the market to gather their necessities and thus have a better diet

Well I've played three separate towns so far. First town died of measles because I didn't know what a hospital/medicine place was. Second town died of starvation because I accidentally stopped production of all my food places. Third town died of starvation in Winter 3 for reasons unknown. Greedy bastards.

Were you out of tools? When I ran out of tools production plummeted and I had to scramble to make sure I had enough firewood too survive several winters. Once I got some more tools all problems vanished.

I'm currently doing really well in my second game, have a settlement consisting of almost 200 people and currently working on an additional mining district. Setting down 4-5 iron mines for and putting them on pause really helps with infrastructure planning.

JaseC

Is your version of Enhanced Steam up-to-date? I can only assume there there's a translation issue resulting in ES thinking the game has TAGES as its DRM warnings are based on key words it finds on the store page -- it's not privy to anything not mentioned publicly.

By the way, that Reddit AMA just said that he wasn't using any DRM that would destroy optical devices. He in no way stated that he wasn't using any DRM.

Well, what he said is that the game isn't shipping on discs so "[DRM] shouldn't be a problem". I mean, yes, he didn't state that the game wouldn't use DRM, but the winking smiley makes reading between the lines quite easy.

Jintor

This is rad.

Any way to prioritise buildings? I see I can prioritise collection zones but I'd like to push my builders in certain directions. Houses first, then roads plz

mus6677

This is rad.

Any way to prioritise buildings? I see I can prioritise collection zones but I'd like to push my builders in certain directions. Houses first, then roads plz

use the same priority area tool selection. It will direct your labors/builders to finish anything in the area selected

Can anyone take a screenie of the max. map size?

I built a 5x5 storage pit and a 4x4 hour for scale. Using the minimap you can see a yellow outline. That's what the screen is currently looking at.

Is your version of Enhanced Steam up-to-date? I can only assume there there's a translation issue resulting in ES thinking the game has TAGES as its DRM warnings are based on key words it finds on the store page -- it's not privy to anything not mentioned publicly..
That's the weirdest solution to this problem I can imagine, and yet it's probably exactly what happened. I guess it wigged out translating from the German section.

flowsnake

I don't think there's any way such a small developer would use a big DRM product, just from a money perspective. I doubt those things come cheap.

Drazgul

I built a 5x5 storage pit and a 4x4 hour for scale. Using the minimap you can see a yellow outline. That's what the screen is currently looking at.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Looks like there's plenty of space to build in. This evening will be dedicated to olympic hockey and Banished!

Hope the mod kit gets released soon, too; can't wait to get my hands on it.

Just finished a solid 5h sesh for the night with Twitch Plays Pokemon on my second monitor. Had a great time, never sped the game-time up because I'm a wuss :)

I love the onset of winter- Feels ominous and I like trying to decide what I'm going to do with the year ahead. I haven't had any real trouble (Year 4), but I take my food supply seriously, lol.

Overall, I dig it!

Jintor

Just finished a solid 5h sesh for the night with Twitch Plays Pokemon on my second monitor. Had a great time, never sped the game-time up because I'm a wuss :)

I love the onset of winter- Feels ominous and I like trying to decide what I'm going to do with the year ahead. I haven't had any real trouble (Year 4), but I take my food supply seriously, lol.

Overall, I dig it!

Haha, are you me? Doing the exact same thing

Jintor

Was kinda hoping for a wagon so you could set up whereever you wanted sorta thing.

Anyone know why my hunters are so crap? Did I just put my lodge too close to civilisation? I've seen them wandering in and out of herds though :<

Durante

I just saw that this is now the #1 top seller on Steam. Nice to see something other than Rust and DayZ there for a change.

Jintor

It'd be nice if you could combine farm plots/pastures so you could have irregularly shaped ones (two squares, square + rectangle, etc) - natural barriers are kind of irritating. Same for stockpiles or other things you designate. Hope paths could follow the rentangle rule of layout since I like to use them for main thoroughfares etc, but it'd also be cool if they curved.

I'm treating jobs as more disposable now - moving people from thing to thing as needed. Sucks that farmers can't rotate between plots though or something.

Jintor

So I figured I'd put my quarry way outta town on the edge of the map. Bad idea, because workers don't stockpile their gains at the quarry - they haul it back to the storage pits. Each time. Their hunger + health + happiness degrading every walk and back.

God damnit. I don't know how the stockpile logic works yet. Maybe I should leave a stockpile by them? But they might not fill it. Hrmmm.

mus6677

put stockpile near your forrester/quarry/mine. So that they will not waste time walking long distance. Let the laborer/vendor move the resources when in need

Top Bottom