• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Based on what you saw, is GT7 cross-gen?

Are you excited/disappointed it is PS5/crossgen?

• 1.) disappointed, seems like the graphics are bad for an exclusive

Votes: 52 25.7%
  • 2.) excited, of course this is next gen and awesome

Votes: 89 44.1%
  • 3.) dissatisfied that it’s clear they made concessions to launch on PS4 and PS5

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • 4.) happy for both PS4 and PS5.

Votes: 35 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sn0man

I am thrilled that we are getting another proper GT game. The esports was never the attraction for me.

Now that we’ve seen a trailer and had a peak at the game though, does that make you excited/disappointed? Also do you believe it will be cross gen?

Moogle11

Banned
I don't buy that cross gen will hurt games that much. The architectures aren't changing hardly at all and most game engines are easily scaleable and devs are more experienced than every at making their games run at multiple settings as PC gaming has resurged and both Sony and MS did mid gen refreshes that required them to make games look/run better on the Pro and X models.

So the rough spots in the graphics are, IMO, either a sign of just limitations/problems with the game engine, or the game is a ways off and some parts of the current build aren't fully fleshed out.

Excitement for me is moot on this game as I don't care for racing games (and especially sims)., but overall my excitement is down for next gen a bit as I've been underwhelmed by the graphics on PS5 and XSX games shown so far. Only mildly disappointing as it's been reaching a personal point of diminishing returns for me since last gen as I wasn't nearly as wowed by graphics this gen than I was with move to 360 and PS3 as the jump to HD and 16:9 screens was huge.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I think the 4K version of the trailer looks great for the most part. Didn't look very optimized for some things, like pop-in but that will be sorted. Thought reflections and lighting looked awesome. And it looks like real-time lighting and weather is back. And hopefully also dynamic day-night cycle.

So excited that old GT campaign mode is back with tuning options. Maybe I will buy a new steering wheel too for this.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I'm disappointed.

Don't get me wrong it looked great. GT Sport looks great I just expected better from PlayStations premier racer.

Every Generation you see Gran Turismo and you know it's such a big leap it would be impossible on the last console. I didn't see that with this though.

BUT.

I do need to see more. AND.

I will be getting it day one.

sn0man

Happy for both. It still looked really great. Clearly using upgraded assets on PS5 eve if it can’t take full advantage of the SSD (or maybe it still does?)

Cross-gen isn’t as big a handcuff as some think. GT looked pretty crispy
It's still in development, and I think the real game changer for GT will be the nonexistent load times. Going from menus to race in 2 seconds is gonna be orgasmic.

Honestly I’m kind of in this camp as well. GT7 to me looks like a crossgen game and it’s actually great. The PS5 could be 4K60 or even 1440p 120FPS while Pro is 1440p 60.

going through menus and in and out of races on PS5 will be as silky as playing GT2 on a PS2. Nom nom. It’s gonna be great.

Quixz

The game looked good but the competition has caught up somewhat.

Been playing assetto corsa competizione on my PC and it's amazing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
As I always say in these threads I don’t get the negativity. GT Sport looks great. Even if this game is just that with a bit of polish with a campaign mode, it will be awesome.

We are already at for all intents and purposes, photorealism with this genre, and Sport is tops with HDR and lighting. I don’t know what a “generational leap” would look like.

DrAspirino

Banned
It’s a game with cars on a road.
Who cares if it’s cross gen?
What difference does it make apart from graphics ?
Physics. If a CPU is weak, then physics are hindered, thus making the simulator not realistic. GT (before the traverty that GT sports is) used to have the best physics in racing simulators along with F1. Hands down.

I personally haven't been excited for Sim racers in years. This won't change that. I think it's the same engine as GT Sport, but apparently it's a very scalable engine.

I think Racing games have looked fantastic for years, especially Sims. At this point I don't even think the cars can look any better, honestly. The cars are so good looking that the things we judge now are things like: the lighting, the weather, the people in the crowds, the pit crew, the driver, the track geometry and its surrounding area. I think that's where you can kinda see it in GT7. The pic crew, not the most detailed. The drivers hands, the way his gloves look, the way the materials move, crease, as they are steering did not look so great. But, of course we've only seen a limited amount of it. So, I'll hold off on final thoughts closer to launch.

Last edited:
I think the last time i played GT was GT5 Prologue on the PS3. Nowadays i am a fun of Forza Horizon, but GT7 really looks good and it seems a lot fans are happy since its going back to its roots. I will try it out for sure.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Here's the interesting thing to consider...

Polyphony Digital releases Gran Turismo 7 within the first year of the PS5s life. They treat it as a GAAS type game for the next 6/7 years.

This leaves the door wide open for Polyphony Digital to make a brand new IP.

sn0man

Here's the interesting thing to consider...

Polyphony Digital releases Gran Turismo 7 within the first year of the PS5s life. They treat it as a GAAS type game for the next 6/7 years.

This leaves the door wide open for Polyphony Digital to make a brand new IP.
I’d rather they do that with GTS2 in a year and just alternate between esports focused and GT-numbered classic titles.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’d rather they do that with GTS2 in a year and just alternate between esports focused and GT-numbered classic titles.

That seems like a waste of resources. They can add to, and improve on GT7 via monthly updates for years. There's no need for people to buy another 60 dollar Gran Turismo 8 in a few years.

Let GT7 flourish and let Polyphony Digital create a new IP.

sn0man

aside from the RT reflections the game looks almost identical to Sports, even the drawdistance of the shadows and small details is really close to the camera.

Yeah it’s really weird to me. The draw distance of shadows. Also there is a Fair amount of LOD popping in and out on some cars. While reflections are pretty I could have a less detailed set of reflections if it meant most of the other stuff was better.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's definitely a step up from Sport, at least having played a ton of recently. I thought it looked great and I like how they showed what a lot of the UI and menus will look like, making it seem like this is coming sooner rather than later.

Yes and No.

Watching the 4K trailer has me wet with some parts of the image, namely the car models and lighting.

Not so much with trackside detail. There it looks very PS4 Pro-esque.

Is it an old build? I refuse to accept trees and other track side objects with that kind of detail on a next gen console?

The reactions to GT7's graphics have been crazy. I thought it was one of the most visually impressive games at the show.
what's also impressive is the developers were mentioning possible 120fps, iirc
Honestly I’m kind of in this camp as well. GT7 to me looks like a crossgen game and it’s actually great. The PS5 could be 4K60 or even 1440p 120FPS while Pro is 1440p 60.
I think the talk was 4k 120fps. It looks very impressive, and if it manages 4k 120fps that would be even more impressive.

Dontero

Banned
Yeah it is GTS with GT7 skin graphic wise. Because they probably couldn't make even 100 cars for next gen they probably just gave up and ported GTS and gave it GT7 skin

I really like that Turn10 CEO quote about "King died, long live the king" which was hilarious in GT5 era now became absolute truth and with Forza 8 people will get not only more content but it will kill graphically GT7 at release of Xbox while GT7 is probably year away

I hope they fire Kaz after this. Studio clearly needs someone interested in making games rather than being motorsport person.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Clearly not using all the possibilities of the PS5 Hardware, but a step into the right direction. Honestly, the thing I got most excited for is the inclusion of a real "campaign". Can't wait to tune my 80s cars to 900HP.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The track, trackside detail, pop in that's eye catching in the tunnel. See no reason the PS4 couldn't run it in lower detail at 1080.60fps in much the same way Forza works across the PC spectrum. And even then only replay mode looked next gen like it always does on GT that's what looked good, the actual in game section was massively different. People are blowing their load about what isn't in game play.

I worry how many cars and how many years this is still away to. Will we get the same cars that are currently in GTS? Then all this has really done is been a career update half version, which is fine it's what I've been begging for and everyone else has been begging for that we kept being told would 'never return' yet here we are. But if Forza 8 launches with 800 cars and double the amount of tracks then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Three

It wont be gross gen. Even if the PS4 could play GT7, they wouldn't put it on the PS4. They already made that mistake once with GT6 and GT7 will be a console seller.
Why not? GT6 sold a lot on PS3 but sales may have been affected because it launched on PS3 after the PS4 release and without a PS4 version.

I thought it looked pretty good. Lighting was awesome like usual in GT. I'm more likely going to get Forza 8 though. With Turn 10s new strategy of adding updates the game should carry for a few years.

ToadMan

Physics. If a CPU is weak, then physics are hindered, thus making the simulator not realistic. GT (before the traverty that GT sports is) used to have the best physics in racing simulators along with F1. Hands down.

Its funny. I read first word and put a like on your post. .

Then I read the rest and had to take it off again lol.

Yes physics is important. GT was never the best physics model by a long way rofl. It needs a lot of improvement.

I don’t care if the graphics of GT7 are identical to to GTS - I’d much rather see improved tyre modelling. Even now GTS is far too basic.

They have to get to iRacing/AC levels of fidelity and feel. That should be the goal for GT7.

Oh, and GT sport was an excellent online racer - that isn’t going away in GT7.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
No the game is not cross gen because of two reasons :

1. Sony want to move more PS5 units

2. The game will be massively downgraded on PS4

Last edited:

Yoboman

I think it looks good but not the leading graphics powerhouse they used to be

But Polyphony seem like such an enigma within Sony. Every other team seems to learn and build and share their technology but it doesn't seem like Polyphony use any of that

we probably won’t even be playing this game on a ps5 let alone a ps4

Gtsport is what we got when Sony got sick of PD taking 8 years to make a game

SliChillax

I think it looks good but not the leading graphics powerhouse they used to be

But Polyphony seem like such an enigma within Sony. Every other team seems to learn and build and share their technology but it doesn't seem like Polyphony use any of that
Not the leading powerhouse? Show me a racing game that looks better.

ZywyPL

Banned
I have a mixed feelings, on one hand I want to believe that GT is finally back on track with robust campaign mode, but on the other, experience tells me I'm gonna be disappointed yet again. There's just so much staff GT needs to fix/step up it's not even funny.

Business

Everything shown at the PS5 showcase looked like it could be played on a PS4.

For starters, I think with the clouds and light we saw moving they are saying the game has real time, non pre baked lighting. If that's the case I don't see how this will run now on PS4 if GT Sport couldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom