• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 appreciation thread

Yamauchi

Banned
Well folks, I saw a new copy of BK1 in a shop for $15 so I decided to buy it. I'm about 3 hours in right now, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. I guess I'm surprised by the quality since this is a game that only has an 81% average at gamerankings.com.

Motoi Sakuraba is GOD.

I imported the GC US version of Origins but since I can't find my Freeloader I had to rip and play it on my PC in upscaled-HD. All in all not that bad ! :lol Although I want this to be a couch experience, so I connected my monitor to my HDTV. Last-gen is doing it for me in these summer months, a nice pause in between the big releases

peakish

I finally finished the first game yesterday, made it past the midway twist when I got it at release so it sure was about time :lol

I was pretty disappointed at the amount of filler in the end and that the last battles were easy as hell.
Really liked the optional character arcs though, the game should have had more of that stuff.

For all the shitty writing and repetition I still really liked it though, in that sense it was precisely as I remembered it from the first time. I need to get Origins sometime.

Haha, I love how this thread popped back up. These games definitely need more recognition. Easily one of the better RPGs that have come out in the past 6 years.

First game was one of my favorite RPGs of last gen (its only serious competition being Final Fantasy X and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door) and one of my favorite games of last gen, period. Beautiful art, great soundtrack, extremely fun gameplay and battle system, and a story that, if messy, at least had enough genuinely interesting elements and a rich enough world to keep me engaged from beginning to end. After I (finally) finish my latest playthrough of Chrono Cross, I will be starting Origins and fully expect to have my mind blown.

tl;dr Baten Kaitos is in desperate need of more love. It warms my heart to see how much it is (deservingly) appreciated here on the GAF.

gatotsu911 said:
First game was one of my favorite RPGs of last gen (its only serious competition being Final Fantasy X and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door) and one of my favorite games of last gen, period. Beautiful art, great soundtrack, extremely fun gameplay and battle system, and a story that, if messy, at least had enough genuinely interesting elements and a rich enough world to keep me engaged from beginning to end. After I (finally) finish my latest playthrough of Chrono Cross, I will be starting Origins and fully expect to have my mind blown.

tl;dr Baten Kaitos is in desperate need of more love. It warms my heart to see how much it is (deservingly) appreciated here on the GAF.
Given what you loved about the first one, I think you should probably worry about your mind being literally blown.

Origins is superb.

sphinx

the piano man
SecretMoblin said:
Given what you loved about the first one, I think you should probably worry about your mind being literally blown.

Origins is superb.

unless he is put off by the differences in the combat system, which happened to a lot of people.

Let's hope this doesn't happen to him!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
sphinx said:
unless he is put off by the differences in the combat system, which happened to a lot of people.

Let's hope this doesn't happen to him!

Overall, I preferred the BK1 battle system, due to it being more strategic... but everything else about BK2 completely and utterly blows away the first game. Seriously one of the best game series last gen, where the hell is my sequel :(

Sagitario

About to hit Disc 2.
Let's see how that damn Holoholo bird holds up :D

And I just read about the Pacman sidequest... NO WAY IN HELL I AM DOING IT! D:

Sagitario said:
About to hit Disc 2.
Let's see how that damn Holoholo bird holds up :D

And I just read about the Pacman sidequest... NO WAY IN HELL I AM DOING IT! D:

lol, good luck. Make a save before it or just don't save at all till you beat it.

Also when I still played the game I got really close to finishing the Pacman quest, but could never figure out what was missing even though I went through the list many times so I just gave up :( IIRC that was the only quest I was missing. Might've missed one more though.

abasm

Click for 1080p

iguIPtuq5eMDn.png

iK6VyDANiLzll.png

irxxlL4827mMU.png

in56nSkNYRbJU.png

Been playing this in Dolphin recently. The sheer amount of vision in this game is astounding. The 2D art is some of the best I've ever seen, and that doesn't even count the fact that many of the backgrounds are rife with animated elements--leaves and clouds that billow in the breeze, lights that flicker, etc. The music is also top-notch as well. (The voice-acting blows, but you can turn it off, so it's not really an issue.) I'm also really enamored with the battle system, but I could write an essay on that, so I'll save my thoughts for now.

I just know that these assets sitting around in HD quality on a drive somewhere at Monolith Soft. It's a shame that the series wasn't popular enough to ever warrant a "remaster". :(

ReyVGM

You know what I liked a lot about Baten Kaitos' story? The ending. It was so satisfying seeing the islands come down from the sky, and everything filling up with water, creating the ocean.
Throughout the whole game that's what I wanted to happen at the end, and it did.

Sorry for the bump, but I just beat the game and I didn't want to create a new thread for this.

zigg

Man, I need to play these games again. Origins in particular was so good and still sticks in my memory.

Oersted

You know what I liked a lot about Baten Kaitos' story? The ending. It was so satisfying seeing the islands come down from the sky, and everything filling up with water, creating the ocean.
Throughout the whole game that's what I wanted to happen at the end, and it did.

Sorry for the bump, but I just beat the game and I didn't want to create a new thread for this.

I loved how they broke the fourth wall at the end.

I prefer Baten Kaitos battle system over Origins.

It's sad to get a blue sword and use it as a equipment, and not as a special card.

EDIT: And it's not "1 & 2", it's "0 & 1". :D

Nah, Origins is GOAT. I only liked BK1's system due to the multiple party members, but in reality it's slow pace, and a lot of maintenance to keep up characters despite their EXP system.

Origins, is fast paced and epic, that shit damn near feels like a real fighting game at times with the announcer and dropping 16+hit combos on the enemy with finishers and special chain combinations.

Now that I think about it, Baten Kaitos (both games) should be in that thread for games I loved but never finished.

theofficefan99

I miss both of these games so much. Pure excellence. Minus the original's voice acting, though (and lack of a real pause feature in battle).

Top Bottom