• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a giant fan of the series, though I controversially think City is the worst of the first three.

Knight really feels like the game City and Origins wanted to be. It's fantastic and fully has a grasp of Batman and what it is to be Batman. If you just want to boot it up and swoop around the city fighting thugs, you can do that, and it's great. If you want to do the detective stuff, you can just go do that, and it's great. Plus the story is really surprising me, considering the criticisms levelled at it.

Also the Batmobile. I goddamn love it. Basically it's a license to feel cool as fuck and it's super responsive and brilliantly integrated with on-foot Batman. You can do stuff like fight 10 goons in a street, get blindsided by shots from a drone-tank, hit the Batmobile button, it systematically batters through the streets to you, you leap and seamlessly land in it, blast the drone-tank in one shot, then fire off doing 0-60 down a street, hit the glide button and launch hundreds of feet into the air, swooping away across rooftops to find more baddies.

I mean what the fuck. The whole experience is utterly seamless and there's nary a frame-drop on PS4.

It's just so fucking great. So far I'm not understanding any of the Batmobile criticisms. Even when you're forced to use it the context always feels right.
I did not want to buy it because of the GOTY edition that will come 100%...thank you for making me weak. just ordered it >,<

Udder

Neo Member
I'm about halfway through the game and honestly I'm feeling a bit fatigued. After three games of basically doing the same thing already Arkham Knight just doesn't have the spark I wanted it to.

Also it seems there is a possibility of TOO MUCH batmobile for me. It was fun the first few times but now it's just a chore to get through the missions it's shoved into.

The story is fantastic though....predictable..but still enjoyable.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Not necessarily better, they're too different to compare them properly per say. So it's debatable.

This, I can agree with. I enjoy the Arkham games and their combat. I also enjoy Bloodborne, and that is probably the best combat I have played this year thus far, but I enjoyed both in very different ways.

In retrospect, and being at 80% overall completion (ie not 100% done with the collectibles), the reactions to the Gamespot review seem pretty ridiculous as I find it reflects my own experience with the game.

kodecraft

edit: sorry, I guess this was probably better for the OT than the review thread, forgot where I was

I played the game last night and I clicked on this thread purely to state my displeasure with the batmobile and how unfun it is. I see others are already busy pointing this out.

Driving around and shooting tanks, especially when it's this boring and repetitive in its implementation, just runs completely counter to what I want to do when I play a Batman game. It feels like they felt forced to add it just so it could be new. Being a good Batman game would have been enough.

On an unrelated note, even though I played through both other Rocksteady Batman games, I'm being reminded anew how much I don't like the magnetic button mashy combat. I like precision and control rather than choreography and context. I don't like being sucked across the room into enemies as it auto-moves me around.

I played the Harley Quinn mission. Seems odd that they came up with a whole set of animations and some special gadgets and moves just for a 15 minute mission that involves a few corridors and like 3 fights.

Knowing some of the things you didn't seem to like from previous Arkham games like the combat, why venture into this one?

Arkham's combat is one of the best around, this is a console c book, a super hero game, the combat system was designed to make you feel like The Batman.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
In retrospect, and being at 80% overall completion (ie not 100% done with the collectibles), the reactions to the Gamespot review seem pretty ridiculous as I find it reflects my own experience with the game.

Tends to happen in any 'critical' review of a super-hyped game.

Always seems rather silly in retrospect, given that no one aside from said reviewers had played it at the time.

Batmobile starts out fun, but overstays its welcome is my feeling also, though I'm not as far as you.

Top Bottom