• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (PSV/3DS) Interview with director Mark Pacini

Is there any media of the 3DS version? I'd be interested in seeing the disparity in graphics/performance between the two platforms.

Fucking Escapist pay wall...guess ill go find my laptop since I'm actually interested in this interview.

Edit: Great interview. Pumped to get this for my Vita...gonna need to crank through Rayman Legends & Killzone Mercenary so I can justify piling another game onto the backlog though!

More points from the video:

- Takes place 3 months after the ending of Arkham Origins, but no spoilers for the console game...they can be played in either order.
- 2.5D, Metroidvania Style
- No XP system, you collect items/gadgets over time to open up new areas in the Blackgate Prison.
- Fight bosses in any order you choose.
- 3 Different endings depending on the order you go through the bosses.
- Scoped down version of Arkham Asylum/City/Origins combat.
- Same voice actors as console version (Roger Craig Smith is Batman, Troy Baker is Joker, Nolan North is Penguin, etc etc)
- Some differences between 3DS/Vita versions. Vita gets more touchscreen usage with detective mode. 3DS has a dedicated map on the bottom screen & has stereoscopic 3D that works "really well".
- 10 hour game for the first play through.
- Different endings affect items you unlock somehow? (Not really clear on this)
- Different suits to get that have different traits (less physical damage, less damage from gunfire, etc)
- Cutscenes all in a comic-book, 2D animated style. (Chose the style to make everything look better. Says it'll look better this way than using the in-game models)

Ocaso

First full price game I purchase for Vita? First full price game I purchase for Vita.

Bonus: I can play it on my TV with Vita TV... someday.

Ridley327

I'm sure to pick this up on the Vita, since I already know that Bluepoint's engine works quite well on that platform, but I'm curious to see how well it runs on the 3DS.

RE_Player

More excited for this than Origins proper. Also doesn't hurt that I pre-ordered the Vita version on Future Shop during their E3 promotion so I'm getting it for like $27.

Alienous

Hmm. Joker in Blackgate?

There was a lot of speculation that Arkham Origins would real with the founding of Arkham Asylum on Mercey island. But I guess not.

Looks good, but I think it's a missed opportunity to not make another third person Arkham game. Like a sequel to Arkham Asylum, rather than Arkham City, set in Blackgate.

Ridley327

What's the lead dev platform for this game?

I don't think it's been specified directly, but it's hard not to think Vita since it's running on Bluepoint's engine that they created for the Vita version of PSASBR. It's obviously multiplatform-capable, but the Vita version would have an advantage in that regard.

nordique

Already have this preordered for 3DS

And Arkham origins for ps3.

Only two new games I plan on playing before the end of the year lol

Effect

Not spending a dime on this without a demo. I've seen nothing significant of the 3DS version so far outside of the 2 second clip (I think) in the one Nintendo Direct. The 3DS is selling far better then the Vita but it's looking like the Vita version is the only version they care to show off and is likely the lead with the 3DS version being ported down. At least until proven otherwise. That's usually the case with other games I believe. If that so then screw that.

Derrick01

Banned
10 hours means 6 for me most likely. Being a fan I want to get this on Vita on day 1 with the PC game but I dunno if I can justify $40 for that.

edit: I just realized I paid less for the PC version of Origins then I will for this :\

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
More interested in this game than the console Origins which sound like more of City with nothing new and for being a Metroidvania (like AA just not fully 3D) and from ex-Retro guys.

3DS, I believe.

The 3DS seems like it'll use a similar touch mechanic, but it'll be more intuitive on the Vita because the gameplay screen is the touch surface. That's how I interpreted it at least.

and then an actual comments from the developers.

"Same game developed in parallel on both platforms. Pushes gfx on each."

https://twitter.com/ArmatureStudio/status/357704667733561345

lol

10 hours means 6 for me most likely. Being a fan I want to get this on Vita on day 1 with the PC game but I dunno if I can justify $40 for that.

it take place after Origins, so go for Origins first then buy this (retail version will drop in price fast)

$h@d0w

I read somewhere that this was less Metroidvania and more Batman than anything else - I expect they'll be less exploring...

Ridley327

I read somewhere that this was less Metroidvania and more Batman than anything else - I expect they'll be less exploring...

Kinda hard to believe that, since one of the big features they mentioned was that there's no set order to fight bosses, so they would have to all be accessible in some way. I'm sure there's a "right" way to play the game, but sequence breaking seems to be an inherent piece of the overall design.

Kinda hard to believe that, since one of the big features they mentioned was that there's no set order to fight bosses, so they would have to all be accessible in some way. I'm sure there's a "right" way to play the game, but sequence breaking seems to be an inherent piece of the overall design.

So it's more like Mighty No. 9? ;)

Ridley327

So it's more like Mighty No. 9? ;)

I suppose? It's not like being able to tackle bosses in any order is some new thing in games with open exploration (hellooooooooo Dark Souls), but it certainly points to the game being fairly heavy in the exploration department than it doesn't.

Some of the videos have made it hard to tell, but is this game fully 2D? There are some areas that look like they control in 3 dimensions.

$h@d0w

Maybe it was just the demos they were showing and they were more combat focussed.

Anyway, I'm in because I like myself some Batman Batman Batman and Castlevania.

Instro

Sure they do. 2D Castlevanias easily take more than 10 hours for me.

The 2D Castlevanias in this vein also have a ton of grinding and collecting aspects that extend the game length significantly. By comparison all of the 2D Metroids are shorter affairs, even on a first playthrough.

watershed

Banned
This game looks pretty good judging from some off-screen 3ds demo vids a while back. Definitely on my radar. If they have truly managed to translate Arkham's style and gameplay onto the 3ds that would be quite a feat!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I really enjoyed the few minutes I played of the Vita version at E3 this year. My only concern was that Batman felt a little stiff when walking around (you really did have to use the sprint button to feel like you were moving), but the combat felt really fluid, and very much like the console games.

The visuals were rather impressive though. Looked great on the Vita, and it ultimately had me wondering why we couldn't just get a Vita version of Arkham Origins, but hey, now I won't feel bad buying both versions at some point, I guess.

Overall, I walked away impressed. The 2.5D presentation was cool, and I love me some Metroid style games also.

The 3DS seems like it'll use a similar touch mechanic, but it'll be more intuitive on the Vita because the gameplay screen is the touch surface. That's how I interpreted it at least.

and then an actual comments from the developers.

lol

Why'd you quote me in this? I was disputing someone else's claim that the 3DS was already a "superior version" by pointing out that they're both using touch mechanics, but that the Vita version seems to be a more natural fit for them, because the gameplay actually takes place on a touch screen.

Seems like the game will be great no matter which platform you're on. It'll probably look a little better on the Vita with the higher resolution display, while the 2.5D environments will make good use of the 3D feature on the 3DS.

Can't wait to play it!

Top Bottom