• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (PSV/3DS) Interview with director Mark Pacini

so weird that Origins cost less than this (well on pc through gmg). This is arguably more interesting though.

3ds or vita... hmmmm... vita obviously looks better, but map on bottom screen adds a ton to metroidvania games (yet no 2d metroid on ds or 3ds T_T).

Fucking Escapist pay wall...guess ill go find my laptop since I'm actually interested in this interview.

Edit: Great interview. Pumped to get this for my Vita...gonna need to crank through Rayman Legends & Killzone Mercenary so I can justify piling another game onto the backlog though!

More points from the video:

- Takes place 3 months after the ending of Arkham Origins, but no spoilers for the console game...they can be played in either order.
- 2.5D, Metroidvania Style
- No XP system, you collect items/gadgets over time to open up new areas in the Blackgate Prison.
- Fight bosses in any order you choose.
- 3 Different endings depending on the order you go through the bosses.
- Scoped down version of Arkham Asylum/City/Origins combat.
- Same voice actors as console version (Roger Craig Smith is Batman, Troy Baker is Joker, Nolan North is Penguin, etc etc)
- Some differences between 3DS/Vita versions. Vita gets more touchscreen usage with detective mode. 3DS has a dedicated map on the bottom screen & has stereoscopic 3D that works "really well".
- 10 hour game for the first play through.
- Different endings affect items you unlock somehow? (Not really clear on this)
- Different suits to get that have different traits (less physical damage, less damage from gunfire, etc)
- Cutscenes all in a comic-book, 2D animated style. (Chose the style to make everything look better. Says it'll look better this way than using the in-game models)

Thanks, that all sounds amazing. Love that the cut-scenes will be in 2D and dat Metroidvania. Not sure about the play-time quoted though, probably half that for most gamers.

Anyway, really looking forward to this, almost as much as Origins on the PS360.

Bonus: I can play it on my TV with Vita TV... someday.

Unlikely, how will touch work?

ascii42

Some of the videos have made it hard to tell, but is this game fully 2D? There are some areas that look like they control in 3 dimensions.

What I've seen reminded me somewhat of Klonoa. There are times where you'll go from the foreground to the background, and vice versa, but I think the controls are 2D. Also looks like walkways can wrap around buildings.

Hexagonal

Banned
It's good to remind you that the core team is basically the same that made Metroid Prime 1-3, and their task is quite similar: if they turned an amazing 2D game into 3D, now they have to do the opposite thing. With an amazing game too.

DS4 patch. The touchscreen was put on it for a reason

for now Sony said you press R3 or L3 on DS3 controller to activate a pointer to use the touch function with the analog sticks. (and I think when DS4 release I think people will use the touchpad on it)

The DS3 solution sounds terrible, but using the DS4 touchpad as a replacement for the touch-screen could work and is actually a pretty great idea.

It's good to remind you that the core team is basically the same that made Metroid Prime 1-3,

Not really. They have Pacini, Matthews, Keller, and maybe a few others including Tom Ivey who recently left Retro to join them. It's not like this is the same team that made the Prime games. A lot of them are still at Retro.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If it's as good as Castlevania: Mirrors of Fate, I may take a serious look at it.
I'm not much of a Batman game, Castlevania worked so well on 3DS it's worth a look for me. Though 10 hours may be a bit long.

I'm looking forward to this more than Origins on console. Something tells me WB games is gonna mess it up.

As in game performance or in terms of gameplay?

I'm not too concerned about gameplay, they've got some ex-Radical devs working on it and that's a guarantee the gameplay will be great. Game performance is something else though, the footage shown so far doesn't instil much confidence...at least on the 360. PS3 footage has looked pretty stable.

Timeaisis

As in game performance or in terms of gameplay?

I'm not too concerned about gameplay, they've got some ex-Radical devs working on it and that's a guarantee the gameplay will be great. Game performance is something else though, the footage shown so far doesn't instil much confidence...at least on the 360. PS3 footage has looked pretty stable.

Kinda both, but I was definitely talking more performance there. I'm just not sure about it. Won't be a day one like Arkham City was. More of a wait-and-see.

Kinda both, but I was definitely talking more performance there. I'm just not sure about it. Won't be a day one like Arkham City was. More of a wait-and-see.

I can understand being wary after all the other IPs that have turned to shit after being offloaded to another developer, but I remain hopeful that won't be the case here.

It's a day one for me and I'll be as vocal as anyone else if the game ends up being a disappointment.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If it turns out as good as I am hoping, I hope they pull a Revelations/Mirror of Fate.

it's very possible, handhelds (3DS/Vita) situation in the west is not good, and when a small sized budget games like AC3:L, RE:R and MoF can't stay exclusives to handhelds I doubt this will, but this is WB so maybe their strategy and ideas is completely different than Ubi, Konami and Capcom.

2.5d metroidvania? oh man I need to see footage asap.

gameplay videos are available on youtube.

If it turns out as good as I am hoping, I hope they pull a Revelations/Mirror of Fate.

it's very possible, handhelds (3DS/Vita) situation in the west is not good, and when a small sized budget games like AC3:L, RE:R and MoF can't stay exclusives to handhelds I doubt this will, but this is WB so maybe their strategy and ideas is completely different than Ubi, Konami and Capcom.

I think it will show up at some point, especially if it happens to not sell as well as expected.

mmm nice, though I dislike how they kept the arkham asylum squat running animation, he looks too stiff running around, but the game looks like something I would love to play.

Is it port begging if I say that I hope this is vita tv compatible in the future?
Honestly, this is really the only game that had me considering getting a Vita. I was toying with trying to pick one up cheap with this and then use the Vita to stream PS4 games on occasion and just mess with that some. But when I learned of the Vita TV I was 100% in -- so long as this game was compatible. I'll wait to find out if it is before I purchase anything.

Otherwise, I'll just hope that some day down the line this gets released as a budget priced downloadable game for PC/PS4/Xbone.

Sulik2

This honestly might be the system seller for me to finally pick up a 3DS XL. 999, VLR, 3D Land and Batman make for a compelling purchase argument. Batman looks fantastic. Multiple endings is such great news.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I really am excited for this, I hope the 3DS version is not a gimped version (yeah i know the Dev's say its made for both systems) Vita port looks great, I hope they show more 3DS footage soon.

nordique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qei3xmNOlo
^ Vita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVez2CVnMc
^ 3DS

3DS version holds up better than I anticipated against the Vita version. The Vita version certainly looks nicer though, but the 3DS release is impressive.

Both of those demos are of the same level so one can almost directly compare.

Its a good comparison for 3DS only owners (3DS version holds up remarkably well given the difference in hardware capability; pleases me as I am getting this on 3DS),

and for owners of both handhelds on the fence (go for Vita version in that case, it looks fantastic on that OLED screen)

NateDrake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qei3xmNOlo
^ Vita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVez2CVnMc
^ 3DS

3DS version holds up better than I anticipated against the Vita version. The Vita version certainly looks nicer though, but the 3DS release is impressive.

Both of those demos are of the same level so one can almost directly compare.

Its a good comparison for 3DS only owners (3DS version holds up remarkably well given the difference in hardware capability; pleases me as I am getting this on 3DS),

and for owners of both handhelds on the fence (go for Vita version in that case, it looks fantastic on that OLED screen)
I bet some of that looks really cool in 3D for 3DS.

Slixshot

Banned
to be honest, I feel like the animations are rather stiff. Hopefully this sells well enough to warrant another installment with the typical graphical updates sequels tend to get.

Top Bottom