• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Vita/3DS) Game Informer Details

mclem

Dude a 2d metroidvania game? That sounds awesom-

- No save rooms
- Modern checkpoint system
- Can manually save whenever you desire

Oh...

I'm exaggerating but that was pretty disappointing to read. Game is on my radar.

I'm actually struggling somewhat to comprehend the fundamental gameplay differences between save rooms and checkpoints.

A save room is a location in which progression is saved such that if you die you'll resume from there. You manually have to activate the save.
A checkpoint is a location in which progression is saved such that if you die you'll resume from there. The save is activated automatically.

If, in SOTN, there were no save rooms but instead an auto save whenever you entered a location that would have exited to one... why would that be so bad?

FoneBone

I'm actually struggling somewhat to comprehend the fundamental gameplay differences between save rooms and checkpoints.

A save room is a location in which progression is saved such that if you die you'll resume from there. You manually have to activate the save.
A checkpoint is a location in which progression is saved such that if you die you'll resume from there. The save is activated automatically.

If, in SOTN, there were no save rooms but instead an auto save whenever you entered a location that would have exited to one... why would that be so bad?
Checkpoints (in games that use them) tend to be positioned much more generously than save rooms (in games that use them). I mean, Armature openly calls their save system "very forgiving."

I'm fine with that in a portable game that I'm likely to play in small chunks, but understandably not everyone is so enthusiastic.

friz898

I just finally read my Game Informer on Friday.

I was really surprised at the amount of coverage that GI gave this game. First for the console edition, then the portables.

I guess when you can't win the journalism race of getting info out, you're smart to focus on exclusive in depth information.

I am excited for both games, for sure.

Takao

Banned

"We broke out from Nintendo, started our own thing five years ago, and we had established a relationship with Warner Bros. They had come to us with this opportunity that they were looking to make a 2.5D-style Arkham game that was in the Metroidvania flavor and they thought we’d be a good pairing to it, since we were really familiar with that style of game."

huh?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"We broke out from Nintendo, started our own thing five years ago, and we had established a relationship with Warner Bros. They had come to us with this opportunity that they were looking to make a 2.5D-style Arkham game that was in the Metroidvania flavor and they thought we’d be a good pairing to it, since we were really familiar with that style of game."

huh?

The design director, art director and technical engineer are from Retro are who left that developer and started Armature, they all worked on the Metroid Prime trilogy, which is why they are familiar with the Metroidvania style of game.

Armature is right next door in the same building as Bluepoint IIRC, who did All-Stars Vita, and I seem to recall they are using the Bluepoint Engine. Wager on 60 FPS and native res.

That didn't happen for MGS HD Collection on Vita, though to be fair, that may have been due to bottlenecks specific to the porting process.

SFenton

That didn't happen for MGS HD Collection on Vita, though to be fair, that may have been due to bottlenecks specific to the porting process.

Pretty sure both were native res, MGS3 ran at 30 at all times, and MGS2 switched between 30 and 60 depending on indoors/outdoors, right?

Spiegel

Nah, MGS2&3 are sub native. I think the survival menu in MGS3 is native, though.

But Batman is an original game and both versions are developed in house. If the 3DS version is 30 fps, they should be able to make the Vita version native res and 60 fps.
(Not like it's guaranteed to happen)

Takao

Banned
The design director, art director and technical engineer are from Retro are who left that developer and started Armature, they all worked on the Metroid Prime trilogy, which is why they are familiar with the Metroidvania style of game.

I know who started Armature, I just wouldn't consider their Prime games to be a guarantee on their Metroidvania experience.

Top Bottom