• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman question: Why batmobile when he got planes and gliding and what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkham Knight announcement got me thinking, besides the iconic cool factor of the iconic phallic mobile busting out of a waterfall, and having to meet the quota of a car chase scene, why should batman be using his batmobile at all when the batwing seems like a better way to move to places fast, and gliding around seems like a more tactical batmany thing to do?

Any specific examples in comics that gives validity to the batmobile as a tactical tool outside of taking down some bike gangs or evil racers or what not? I guess it being remote control has tactical uses, but it always seemed a bit odd to see batman drive around on public streets from place to place.

And you'd totally get creases on the cape from sitting down in a seat!

Batman deals mostly in low level street crime on a daily basis. A plane or glider would be overkill.

A motorcycle wouldn't be a bad idea for regular use.

Imagine Batman utilizing the Batwing in a purse snatching situation.

Batman deals mostly in low level street crime on a daily basis. A plane or glider would be overkill.

A motorcycle wouldn't be a bad idea for regular use.

Imagine Batman utilizing the Batwing in a purse snatching situation.

batmobile would be overkill there too. I can't imagine that thing having the best emission rating.

maybe its a hybrid now though.

batmobile would be overkill there too. I can't imagine that thing having the best emission rating.

maybe its a hybrid now though.

He drives the Batmobile into the city and parks it while he does his business. In certain situations it comes in handy. If Joker decided to bomb the city from a blimp I'm sure Batman can call in the Batwing remotely.

He doesn't really use the batmobile much in any of the comics I've ever read. Usually you just see him jumping around the city with no explanation on how he got there.

Because the Batmobile is the product of the Automobile Era in the US (1930s-1950s). He's an American Hero.
It's basically a mobster car all decked out.

Flying Batmobile solves all problems.
LNhAP5q.jpg

TRPf6AH.png

Pyrrhus

More importantly, how does he refuel the Batmobile? Does it run on 87 octane? What am I saying? He's rich. Of course he uses Premium. But where? Does he just pull in at random service stations and then pay in cash? If he's got a pump in the Batcave, couldn't people trace his location by that?

Ephemeris

It's all situational. Plane, car, bike depending on the scenario.

flying batmobile ftw though (even though I was never really its biggest fan; definitely the most practical.)

Also, what's not to love?

Slair

More importantly, how does he refuel the Batmobile? Does it run on 87 octane? What am I saying? He's rich. Of course he uses Premium. But where? Does he just pull in at random service stations and then pay in cash? If he's got a pump in the Batcave, couldn't people trace his location by that?

He has Alfred do it, fills up a shit load for Bruce's "car collection".

zeemumu

A car is just more practical on his patrols. Easier maintenance and lower fuel costs. The Batwing is more for long-trips that have to be made in short amounts of time.

Flying Batmobile solves all problems.

Never really understood why batman beyond needs the flying batmobile when he could pretty much fly with his jetpack feet.

e85.

you order gas online.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
To be honest, I don't feel like we've ever had a batmobile that emphasises the same qualities that the character and suit do.

It's always been incredibly conspicuous and brutish, whereas batman is also very stealthy and agile and mysterious.

I'd love to see a take on the car that manages to bring out these qualities.

Its just a silly cool-lookin' thing that probably doesn't make much sense when you think about it for more than 5 seconds. The traffic in Gotham City(which is like, the DC universe equivalent of NYC unless you count Metropolis) must be stupid crazy, he probably couldn't get anywhere.

batmobile04.jpg

When he sees the Bat-signal, what is he gonna do, just park the car outside and take an elevator up to the roof or some shit?

batmobile03.jpg

Batman needs a car like Spider-Man needs a car. They're mobile, dynamic characters that you can mold around the urban environments, from crashing through windows to swinging by his grappling hook or hanging goons off of gargoyles or sneaking off of fire escapes.

Unless you have a bitchin' flying Batmobile that is, then by all means party on, dudes

batmobile05.jpg

Its just a silly cool-lookin' thing that probably doesn't make much sense when you think about it for more than 5 seconds. The traffic in Gotham City(which is like, the DC universe equivalent of NYC unless you count Metropolis) must be stupid crazy, he probably couldn't get anywhere.

Metropolis = NYC

Gotham = Newark

So its not as impractical, but its still a stretch.

TEJ

Why is it that you can't tug on supermans cape? I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't care if you did. How would you tug on it anyway? Unless you're some mega powerful villain you won't be fast enough.

And if there' proof that Tony Stark has a heart then why does Iron Man want revenge?

Its an intimidation thing. The Batcar looks like a tank and sounds like the horseman of the apocalypse riding into town. When you hear that thing coming, you know your shit is about to get pushed in. Same reason he dresses as a bat. Practical? No. Intimidating? Fuck yeah.

Its an intimidation thing. The Batcar looks like a tank and sounds like the horseman of the apocalypse riding into town. When you hear that thing coming, you know your shit is about to get pushed in. Same reason he dresses as a bat. Practical? No. Intimidating? Fuck yeah.

This. Half of the intent of Batman's arsenal is to intimidate.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's more a matter of them just omitting a lot of its use because a dude driving around isn't as fun to portray as a dude flipping off of buildings and shit.

But make no mistake, something's going down across town, it's much more practical to go by jet-car than it is to hoof it across rooftops the whole way.

(Also probably doesn't help that comic properties are really bad at portraying relative locations between scenes or having any sort of consistency in regards to city layout and landmarks. Where's the Iceburg Club in relation to Ace Chemicals? Who the fuck knows. Everything just kind of occurs at one nebulous, ever-changing epicenter of "The City.")

Defuser

Considering most thugs batman faces carry guns, his bulletproof suit/cape ain't gonna last him long hence the batmobile if it's bulletproof.

That's what he did in Arkham Origins, just flew everywhere and glided down.

I can only assume it was because the roads were so snowy and he couldn't find chains for his tires that year. Having your jet constantly flying around waiting for you to call it to pick you up must be a massive waste of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom