• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman: Arkham Knight and RTTP: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Arkham Knight was fantastic. My favorite of the Arkham games by far. I actually enjoyed the Batmobile because it broke up the monotomy of the combat and detective vision. Which is not really the game's fault. By the time AK came out the detective vision and Batman combat had been copied to death in other games. By the time AK came around I wouldn't have wanted to do those 2 things throughout the entire game.

Stealth Batmobile sections kind of sucked though. Worst parts of the game.

Bumping my thread because I listened to some of your recommendations and picked up Origins for a fiver.

And yea, it's ok. Really nothing special. I said that I thought City's world felt plain after playing Arkham Knight but Origins' world is much more bland even though it re-uses a lot of City's map. I still enjoyed the gameplay which you think I'd be sick of at this point after playing through the trilogy but I guess not. There does feel like there's something a bit off about the combat but it's still mostly fun. I liked the guys that needed multiple counters. Wonder why they didn't bring that into Knight. The predator sections are actually pretty good and I enjoyed doing the challenge maps for those more than I did in City.

The story wasn't as great as I thought it was going to be given what some of you were saying but I do enjoy whenever they weave in a bunch of different villains. Batman's new voice actor was pretty weak but Troy Baker did a fantastic job with the Joker. Didn't expect to like it after hearing Hamill's performance. The boss fights were also pretty strong in this entry although none of them hit the heights of Mr. Freeze. Slade Wilson, Firefly and the last Bane fight stand out the most. The Mad Hatter's section was a lot better than the one in City. They kinda took the good aspects from the Scarecrow boss fights in Asylum for that. A lot of the other encounters were very copy and paste. Anarky's sections were basically just the Zsaz stuff from City and Black Mask's was the same thing as Bane's missions in City. Penguin's cache's were just a reread of those. The Riddler sections weren't as fun or interesting either and also had a lot of copy and paste.

It is clearly missing the polish from a Rocksteady title and it does feel like a retread of City that was mandated by WB because Rocksteady said it would take 4 years for Knight to come out after City but it was certainly worth the fiver I paid. I would have felt ripped off if I bought it at full price when it came out. I'm a little annoyed I won't be able to get the platinum because they're shutting of the online but the online seemed bad so I probably wouldn't have gone for it anyway.

I still think Knight is the best even if it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.

Origins is extremely overrated. Like Bioshock 2 is extremely overrated. They both have the best stories from their respective franchises(I disagree but whatever), but the gameplay and locations are just more of the same and the gameplay refinements are so minuscule that they just don't matter to someone playing it years later.

Arkham Knight predator rooms >>>>>>>>>>>>>> the other games by a country mile. The gameplay is top notch in AK. The graphics are fucking incredible on top of that. What a great game.

Though OP, I too am wondering if Arkham Oranges is worth playing. Played and beat and enjoyed the other three.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I enjoyed the game a lot, it looks incredible, although I wish they hadn't strayed so far from the Metroidvania feel of Asylum. The city feels too large compared to the first game, presumably to give you enough room to drive the Batmobile around in, and so to fill it up they went overboard on the Riddler trophies. I'm at the end of the game now, having beaten everything except the trophies, and I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to track down all the remaining ones so I can actually beat the game properly.

Jumeira

Banned
Thought AK was a brilliant game. Had flaws, but thought the tight design was a joy to play through, the batmobile sections were too much fun. They nailed being a bad ass in a vehicle, just as they did being in a bat suit.

Top Bottom