• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man by Insomniac Vs. Batman by Rocksteady

Better trio of games

• Rocksteady | Batman: Arkham Asylum / Batman: Arkham City / Batman: Arkham Knight

• Insomniac | Spider-Man / Spider-Man: Miles Morales / Spider-Man 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is a simple one. Which series of games do you think is better and why?

Rocksteady:

2009 - Batman: Arkham Asylum (7th gen)
2011 - Batman: Arkham City (7th gen)
2015 - Batman: Arkham Knight (8th gen)

Insomniac:
2018 - Spider-Man (8th gen)
2020 - Spider-Man: Miles Morales (8th gen)
2023 - Spider-Man 2 (9th gen)

Imtjnotu

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

naguanatak

Played Spider-Man and Miles Morales over the last two weeks, very good games. When first released, I was bored with Spider-Man after five or six hours, sometimes the mood and or/circumstances have to be right for me to enjoy games.
The Arkham games I played when they came out (although Asylum was a bit after the fact I think) and I have to say they were definitely the better games for me. I mostly judge atmosphere and the feelings I have when playing a game (how I - at the time - react to what I'm seeing, hearing, but also how I percieve mechanics and game design). I absolutely couldn't be a reviewer since I cannot judge such things objectively at all.

All in all: Arkham games. I'm definitely more into deep, depressing, gritty, grimy stuff and Batman/Gotham are more how I percieve the world/my life than Spidey/New York.

I thought the first 2 Arkham games were great, but the third one sucked. So based on that, I'm going to give it to Spider-Man. If it were just the first (or first two) games, then I'd probably go the other way.

I feel like the Spider-Man games are heavily reliant on the traversal system. If you took traversal out of both series, and just focused on combat, puzzles, gadgets, story etc. I think Batman would take it.

daninthemix

Well let's see. One of these franchises will get platform fanboy votes, and the other will not because its multiplatform. So how accurate, exactly, could a question like this in poll form actually be?

The answer is not at all. Not even slightly.

mrmustard

Banned
Of course Batman, because Spiderman is a sissy.
Considering Insomniacs Spider-Man borrowed the combat system from Rocksteadys Arkham series I’d say this was an easy one. Made easier by the fact that Miles Morales had the worst antagonist ever in Tinkerer. Also, the use of split protagonists in the Spider-Man games has always been kinda lame.
Not only the combat System, also the enemy types were borrowed.

Last edited:

Aenima

To me only Arkham City was a better game than any of the Spider-Mans, (havent played SM2 yet).

Both IPs are very similar in gameplay, spider man is just more fun to play with the superior traversal and the story telling is also much better. As a compilation SM is the more consistent seies. As a single game, Arkham City was the better game to me.

Im a bigger fan of the Batman uninerse though. Especially the villains.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Batman was so good that Rocksteady had to turn it to crap with Gotham Knights. I realize developing houses are different.

As long as they don’t make stupid changes Spider-Man will be on par with the Arkham franchise. Arkham ended with Knight, Gotham Knights ruined the entire thing if you ask me.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gotham Knights was not developed by Rocksteady.
I just pointed that out, but still. It still reflects a crap decision within Arkham. That means Arkham games would end if it was canon.

I wasn’t a fan of Origins, which also wasn’t Rocksteady. The side stuff sucked if you ask me.

Rocksteady did a great job with the 3 games they did do. I just hate how it all ended. The whole handicap oracle, but now batgirl thing was also stupid.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
While I prefer Spider-Man as a hero to Batman, the latter has the better games from the Arkham Trilogy. Recently I went through and replayed them all last year and had an absolute blast, even if I didn't care much for the narrative of Knight. I can't say much the same for Spider-Man (and I still think Spider-man 2 on the PS2/GC is better than all of insomniac's titles). They are all great games though and if you want to have a fun time, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
While I prefer Spider-Man as a hero to Batman, the latter has the better games from the Arkham Trilogy. Recently I went through and replayed them all last year and had an absolute blast, even if I didn't care much for the narrative of Knight. I can't say much the same for Spider-Man (and I still think Spider-man 2 on the PS2/GC is better than all of insomniac's titles). They are all great games though and if you want to have a fun time, you can't go wrong with any of them.
I thought the dlc also sucked for Knight. It could have been a lot better, but it turned into a MGS VR training mission sort of thing. I liked doing more detective stuff. I would have traded the whole Batmobile challenge thing for more riddles and Easter eggs. Joker was their attempt at keeping things on par with the older games. Too bad they can’t just go back and do the New 52 Batman in the Rocksteady style.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I thought the dlc also sucked for Knight. It could have been a lot better, but it turned into a MGS VR training mission sort of thing. I liked doing more detective stuff. I would have traded the whole Batmobile challenge thing for more riddles and Easter eggs. Joker was their attempt at keeping things on par with the older games. Too bad they can’t just go back and do the New 52 Batman in the Rocksteady style.

I didn't do much of hte DLC until years and years later, but I really enjoyed them for what they were. But by that time I had basically 100% Arkham Asylum, City, and Knight back to back to back so having that out there side content felt kind of nice as a change of pace. Driving through the sets of Batman 60s or the films - it was cool stuff!

Spyxos

Gold Member
Rocksteady Batman games and not even close. And Arkham Knight is my favorite part. With Batman every punch hurts and it plays wonderfully. The Spiderman games copy the fights without really doing anything of their own or better with the combat system. The cinematic takedowns look great i just wish the combat was better and you would feel stronger as Spiderman.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am probably alone in this but I don’t think Spider-Man 2 is as good as 1 or MM. I think I liked MM more because it was right after 1 and was easier so it felt more like a new game+

With 2 I just get bored with the same old crappy fighting system where spider man …a super human takes 40 hits to take out a normal person. 😵‍💫

Top Bottom