• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect it to beat iron man 3 even before the reviews tho. That film was huge.

I thought it was possible but not guaranteed

Would they risk the potential blowback (which would likely be amplified considering the current atmosphere surrounding the film) for having overestimated returns solely to get 48 hours of people thinking "at least it beat Iron Man 3" though?
For the most part, weekend actuals are not heavily reported except in extraordinary cases like JW breaking the OW.

I'm not sure if such a situation as this would qualify; a similar situation happened with Catching Fire where they estimated it at 161 to claim the 2D opening record, only for actuals to show it fell below both The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight. I don't recall any sort of blow back from that occurrence.

kswiston

Would they risk the potential blowback (which would likely be amplified considering the current atmosphere surrounding the film) for having overestimated returns solely to get 48 hours of people thinking "at least it beat Iron Man 3" though?

Iron Man 3 isn't exactly a record. Who would even follow up on that other than people like us (ie a small minority of the people who casually follow box office stories)?

Catching Fire lost the 2D record when the actuals came out and there wasn't any blow back with that.

EDIT: I guess I am experiencing GAF group think with B-G-E today.

For the most part, weekend actuals are not heavily reported except in extraordinary cases like JW breaking the OW.

I'm not sure if such a situation as this would qualify; a similar situation happened with Catching Fire where they estimated it at 161 to claim the 2D opening record, only for actuals to show it fell below both The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight. I don't recall any sort of blow back from that occurrence.

Yeah, the kind of people who would notice a drop from the estimated to real #s aren't the ones that WB is targeting right now.

Slayven

Do you have a bet going on?

Need more info.
Just bored.
I'm sure Cyborg movie is safe, don't worry.

669717-deathlok.jpg

I think when I see Hawk and Dove, I see the disgust that other people experience when they see Cyborg.

Hawk and Dove has never worked, not even in a team book.

kswiston

There's nothing wrong with Cyborg besides being the most boring character to receive a major company push since Carol Danvers.

Slayven

I think when I see Hawk and Dove, I see the disgust that other people experience when they see Cyborg.

Hawk and Dove has never worked, not even in a team book.

I want to say they are an interesting concept waiting for a good writer. But I pretty sure I would be wrong.

There's nothing wrong with Cyborg besides being the most boring character to receive a major company push since Carol Danvers.

You are my spirit animal.

HeySeuss

Is Easter a pretty light day historically? I would think it would be considering it's a day families spend together for dinner and kid stuff.

Anth0ny

You'd think Easter Sunday would be light, but made up by good Friday and Easter Monday being a day off for many kids.

Ad0ve

Banned
Sad Affleck and LMAO30%ATROTTETOMATOES!!! are becoming memes, so people are aware that the movie sucks, expect huge drops

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I love how the haters are quick to move goalposts.

"no man we knew it was going to be huge opening weekend, but next week it's totally going to tank!"

Can't wait for next weekend.

Please find one single person here who said this would tank in the opening weekend, and is now saying it's going to tank in the second weekend instead. Thanks.

I get the feeling he isn't going to reply to you.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm wondering if this movie will even beat the domestic numbers for MoS. $165-170 is a solid start, obviously, but the negative buzz and drops from here on out might wear it down significantly. I don't even think it'll beat Deadpool at this rate.

E the Shaggy

According to Box Office Mojo, the movie made around $280 mil this weekend globally. It has to make $800 mil to break even/not be a disaster, but considering the reviews and the length of the movie itself, I'm kind of getting the sense that there's going to be some diminishing returns.

Will it really reach the 800 mark?

ryan299

I'm wondering if this movie will even beat the domestic numbers for MoS. $165-170 is a solid start, obviously, but the negative buzz and drops from here on out might wear it down significantly. I don't even think it'll beat Deadpool at this rate.

It should hit 350 million but it's going to join HP 8 and Spider-man 3 as films to open 150+ and not reach 400 domestic.

The terrible B Cinema score rating is going to hurt it. If it breaks a billion it will be the lowest rated film to do so. Right now Pirates 4 is with a B+ Cinema score

I feel like some people just want this movie to fail. I just re-watched the movie last night, despite it's flaws I really enjoyed it. The cinematography was probably the best in a comic book movie adaptation. Battfleck killed it, I wish we had more of him in this movie. The knightmare scene was amazing although it could have been placed else where in the movie. Overall, I like the direction DC is taking their IPs. I don't want them to go the family friendly route Marvel has taken with the Avengers. If it causes bad reviews, so be it.

AmuroChan

It should hit 350 million but it's going to join HP 8 and Spider-man 3 as films to open 150+ and not reach 400 domestic.

The terrible B Cinema score rating is going to hurt it. If it breaks a billion it will be the lowest rated film to do so. Right now Pirates 4 is with a B+ Cinema score

I think it'll probably reach $1b. With ticket prices continuing on the rise, they don't have to sell as many tickets today to reach $1b than 5-10 years ago.

dabig2

170m already done. One day to go.

Lol at critics.

Uhhh no. That's the final estimate for the entire weekend including the previews. Tomorrow is when we'll know how much it did from Thursday night to Sunday night. And I honestly doubt it hits $170m then but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom