• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can introduce each character this way, almost like the first volume of the new 52 justice league (spoilers for this volume):
Have Batman (we know many things about Batman from previous movies) hunt a monster and have him find out it's alien. He finds Green Latern, who also hunts the monster and uses his ring against the monster. Batman asks him who he is and he says that he's a member of Green Laterns and he protects Earth. Green Latern's power and basic origin introduced.
They go to Metropolis to talk to Superman because he's alien (we already know about Superman). Batman saw he's strong and he made a suit to fight Superman. Superman doesn't trust them, they begin to fight. While they battle, Aquaman shows up and he says that a monster appeared in Atlantis and as the king of Atlantis, he began to investigate. Basic origins introduced.
The big bad shows up, as Wonder Woman who wants to beat him to protect the mortals. She can say that she's a godess and she protects the common people. Flash can show up, too. A some months Flash in action perhaps. They can also show the creation of Cyborg and have him join the battle.
They all understand that they should co-operate, and they battle him. They win, they understand that there are enemies of Earth beyond their capabilities and they decide to form the Justice League.

That's my idea for the largest part of the movie.

I actually wish they'd have went into the DCCU with no backstory about superheroes and just had a world full of costumed vigilantes and super powers like they do in every animated feature. If you go into a movie with the premise "super powered heroes exist," you can swallow a whole lot. If you treat every new character as some groundbreaking new discovery then yeah, you're going to need a lot more exposition.

This was actually what George Miller's Justice League film would have done, and I agree that it would be genuinely refreshing to see.

Gleethor

Wonder Woman will have a little bit of backstory established with BvS and she'll get her own solo film before JL. Ya know, the exact same setup that Black Panther is getting.

Wonder Woman will have a little bit of backstory established with BvS and she'll get her own solo film before JL. Ya know, the exact same setup that Black Panther is getting.

I don't think we know nearly enough about WW's role in BvS to say that.

I'm also pretty sure that AoU and Civil War will collectively establish much more than a little bit of backstory for Wakanda.

No MMH (those 7 you listed are the founding members of New 52 Justice League). I wouldn't mind a JLA or JLI movie with MMH, Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Vixen and others though.

wait, what?

so this movie is a mish-mash then? they're using frank miller bats but they're also doing 52 justice league?

i want j'onn over cyborg, though.

Penguin

So was thinking about the music, like we know Superman has a theme and Batman is getting a new one.

Wonder if will introduce other themes for characters/the team or something that won't be fully explored untl Justice League/their solo films.

guek

Banned
This was actually what George Miller's Justice League film would have done, and I agree that it would be genuinely refreshing to see.

Obviously they were pretty cautious with how much they were willing to commit to the idea with MoS. While I don't think Marvel took exorbitant risks with the MCU like some would argue, Fury and Stark's cameos at the end of Iron Man and Hulk were a gamble though and they paid off. At least now it finally looks like DC/Warner is going HAM with the JL.

Themyschira and the Amazons have a role as big in BvS as BP in Avengers.

Sorry for being dumb, but I'm not sure what your intended point is: is it that Themyscira and the Amazons actually have a big role in BvS (which I would love to be the case, but I haven't heard anything to that effect), or is it to sarcastically say that BP doesn't have a big role in AoU (which is true, there's no indication he's in it at all, just some vibranium/Wakanda setup)?

DaveH

How do you guys/gals think secret identities will be handled between all these characters?
On this, stick with tradition...
Issue 2 of JLA said:
fdXn20D.jpg
...then use it for a big story moment in a Justice League movie after the first two. The sharing of secret identities was how they healed the rift in the team after Tower of Babel (where Batman's contingencies were used against them and his membership was put to a vote; irrespective of the outcome, that difference in opinion stood as a barrier to team unity... after a goofy arc where the heroes with dual identities were split into two persons, each embodying one identity, they buried the hatchet by entrusting their identities to one another). As in the animated example above, it came as part of a three-episode event (Starcrossed)... so it's a useful device that they shouldn't just give up for nothing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's like this thread is in an endless loop, I swear I've seen this discussion about solo movies pop up here some many times.

ReiGun

It's like this thread is in an endless loop, I swear I've seen this discussion about solo movies pop up here some many times.

I don't know why it still happens. No one ever changes their mind and we go over the same talking points every time. At this point, it's about people having some need to be right more than anything else.

Well, it would help if more people actually paid attention to the points being put forward and didn't keep arguing against the "every character needs a solo film" straw man, but oh well.

Gleethor

I don't think we know nearly enough about WW's role in BvS to say that.

I'm also pretty sure that AoU and Civil War will collectively establish much more than a little bit of backstory for Wakanda.

So we don't know enough about WW's role in BvS to make a judgement and we also don't know anything about BP's role in Civil War, but let's go ahead and assume that BP will be well established and WW won't because reasons? What?

So we don't know enough about WW's role in BvS to make a judgement and we also don't know anything about BP's role in Civil War, but let's go ahead and assume that BP will be well established and WW won't because reasons? What?

I'm not really assuming that much on the Marvel side: it's pretty clear that AoU introduces the concepts of Wakanda and vibranium, and that CW will introduce the character of T'Challa and his relationship with the outside world.

I don't think we know much of anything about Gadot's role in BvS other than that she uses the Diana Prince secret identity and wears the costume at some point. My prevailing impression is that she's a Black Widow-style supporting character, which wouldn't leave much room for Themyscira, but sure, I could be wrong.

Penguin

Well, it would help if more people actually paid attention to the points being put forward and didn't keep arguing against the "every character needs a solo film" straw man, but oh well.

Or if some people didn't constantly need to badger their point in hopes everyone gets their point...

Gleethor

I'm not really assuming that much on the Marvel side: it's pretty clear that AoU introduces the concepts of Wakanda and vibranium, and that CW will introduce the character of T'Challa and his relationship with the outside world.

I don't think we know much of anything about Gadot's role in BvS other than that she uses the Diana Prince secret identity and wears the costume at some point. My prevailing impression is that she's a Black Widow-style supporting character, which wouldn't leave much room for Themyscira, but sure, I could be wrong.

It still seems to me that you're reaching two very different conclusions with these films despite the fact that we know little about either. It's easy to just give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here and not DC, sure. But it's way too early to be dismissing WW's role as something that won't even touch on her backstory.

It still seems to me that you're reaching two very different conclusions with these films despite the fact that we know little about either. It's easy to just give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here and not DC, sure. But it's way too early to be dismissing WW's role as something that won't even touch on her backstory.

I'm not dismissing the possibility, just doubtful given the extent to which Batman and Superman have been emphasized over her in the marketing and interviews. I may change my mind once we start getting some actual details on the size and nature of her role.

I'm certainly more inclined to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here, that's true.

Gleethor

I'm not dismissing the possibility, just doubtful given the extent to which Batman and Superman have been emphasized over her in the marketing and interviews. I may change my mind once we start getting some actual details on the size and nature of her role.

I'm certainly more inclined to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt here, that's true.

Fair enough, but batman and superman are the main event, of course they're the ones emphasized while we're still a year away. I imagine that BP will be treated the same when marvel starts pimping Tony and Steve (and now Spidey) for Civil War.

Effect

Kinda off topic I wouldn't be surprised if BP's role gets reduced now that Marvel can use Spider-man. That's the one character where if they had him I believe the entire Marvel movie universe landscape would be completely different. Now that they can use him there is no way Disney and Marvel pass up a chance to use him as much as they can. There is to much money on the table. Just how its rumored that they had scripts for Captain America 3 that included and didn't include Robert Downey Jr, the second they felt it was possible for them to have Spider-man I bet they had the writers rework Civil War so they had a non-Spider-man and a Spider-man version. Then I wonder if people will be making the same complaints. Going go out on a limb and say they won't.

Gleethor

Kinda off topic I wouldn't be surprised if BP's role gets reduced now that Marvel can use Spider-man. That's the one character where if they had him I believe the entire Marvel movie universe landscape would be completely different. Now that they can use him there is no way Disney and Marvel pass up a chance to use him as much as they can. There is to much money on the table. Just how its rumored that they had scripts for Captain America 3 that included and didn't include Robert Downey Jr, the second they felt it was possible for them to have Spider-man I bet they had the writers rework Civil War so they had a non-Spider-man and a Spider-man version. Then I wonder if people will be making the same complaints. Going go out on a limb and say they won't.

To be fair, I have seen several complaints about BP potentially being sidelined due to Spidey's sudden availability. Hopefully everyone who's concerned about Wonder Woman and Aquaman in BvS shares those concerns as well.

To be fair, I have seen several complaints about BP potentially being sidelined due to Spidey's sudden availability. Hopefully everyone who's concerned about Wonder Woman and Aquaman in BvS shares those concerns as well.

I don't think Spidey is going to have more than a cameo in CW due to the production schedule, but if that's not the case, sure, it'd be hard not to reduce Boseman's role.

Boseman will for sure get reduced. This deal had to be a long time coming, so there's no way they didn't have a Spidey script ready to go should the deal go through.

Now, can we get back on topic? What was it again? Solo movies? no jokes? Destruction?

Effect

I wonder what the toy output will be like with this film. Even if WW, AM, and Flash aren't in the film much as long as they get shown in costume they could sell toys easily. I'm really curious as to what the push on that front is going to look like.

I bought the New Frontier Deluxe Edition and I read it today and they have to be pulling so much inspiration from this book. I mean the Comic Con trailer is more like this book rather than Dark Knight Returns.

B-f0TQuIIAAbmBG.jpg

I bought the New Frontier Deluxe Edition and I read it today and they have to be pulling so much inspiration from this book. I mean the Comic Con trailer is more like this book rather than Dark Knight Returns.

B-f0TQuIIAAbmBG.jpg

That whole sequence was excellent. Really hoping they end up veering more in that direction than Dark Knight for the inevitable direct confrontation.

B-f0TQuIIAAbmBG.jpg

I have the Absolute Edition. So fucking pretty. Darwyn Cooke needs to do mor DC stuff.

ReiGun

B-f0TQuIIAAbmBG.jpg

If the line "There's the door, Spaceman" shows up in any of these films, I might cry.

In fact, it just hit me that Wonder Woman's introduction in this book is the perfect way to introduce her in BvS. Synder pls.

If the line "There's the door, Spaceman" shows up in any of these films, I might cry.

In fact, it just hit me that Wonder Woman's introduction in this book is the perfect way to introduce her in BvS. Synder pls.

Snyder loves that kind of stuff too (Sucker Punch), so we can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom