• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Angel Alita 3rd Trailer

Live action movie with a cg character stylized in anime fashion: literally what the fuck are you doing holy shit
There are cosplayers with makeup that have animeish looking large eyes done right, and not talking about the creepy doll look.

They should have been more subtle with the eye special effect. Perhaps they thought, this CG is very expensive lets make it noticeable. Like no, that's not the way good CG is supposed to be, the best CG is unnoticeable.

The eyes look much better but I can't figure out why.

too bad they made her white instead of asian and now I have to protest viewing it till it's on disc.
There were articles indicating they'd been retouched and shrunk a bit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What kills me is they don't even look like actual anime eyes but a westernized parody of anime eyes

Done correctly anime eyes could have actually looked pretty cool and fit with everything else

It like they just said "fuck it"

Can you post an example of anime eyes done right?

cryptoadam

Banned
I wanted to like the big eyes, but man it looks terrible. Everything else looked good to me. It does seem like a bit too much CGI though.

Big eyes don't bother me, but I am getting Justice League vibes with how everything is CG in the movie. Whole thing looks like a cartoon to me. Story comes off super generic as well but thats just from the trailers so its a bit hard to tell.

But this thing has bomb written all over it.

manfestival

I totally dig it. I get the whole weird uncanny valley mixed in with this but I am willing to give this a chance. I never got around to the original either.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Big eyes don't bother me, but I am getting Justice League vibes with how everything is CG in the movie. Whole thing looks like a cartoon to me. Story comes off super generic as well but thats just from the trailers so its a bit hard to tell.

But this thing has bomb written all over it.

I hope it's just a terrible trailer.

iconmaster

Banned
MFW

alita-battle-angel_6050075.jpg

Mortal Engines bombed? Hard to believe considering I’ve been relentlessly bombarded with ads for it for the past 3 weeks.

It will bomb so hard next week that it will send ripples to the past which informed my post.

Edit: ...actually it released today here in Europe lol. I'll make sure to catch it in IMAX.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Even if her eyes had been normal, her movements and overall look are jarringly CG at every moment, making every shot alongside real people just feel like two different scenes with no connection.

It looks cool though, gives it a bit of an anime in real life feeling. It's obviously not real, the movements are a bit fantastic, but the fight was way more grounded and slower than these CGI effects usually go.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The spider baddie's attacks are all so tremendously telegraphed, like a drunkard throwing haymakers at the bar. It would play a lot better to my eyes if the transhuman cyborg ultra death bot had any competent economy of motion in her attempts to kill Alita there. So many openings for the dodging and flourishes. Kind of lame.

s_mirage

None of the trailers or clips have done anything to change my opinion that this is going to bomb. Anecdotally, I'm not feeling any hype for it either, though it could be that I just associate with the wrong people.

Looks much better than the other trailers. I'll see it looks like a cool sci-fi universe but I expect this to bomb hard.

I think the dogma is that Anime is Japanese, therefore every single anime has Japanese people, no matter the setting, geography, story or timeline. ;)

I think characters such as Morgiana from Magi, Akira Oono from High score girl or Suigintou from Rozen Maiden seem to have asian features in some of their representations, but most anime characters are more ambiguous in terms of race.

I will say that unless you have a distinctive feature in your artistic representation of say a nose, eyes, mouth, then the safe assumption is that a realistic representation should also lack such distinctive features.

Last edited:
Reviews are coming in

Sounds like it’s decent/mediocre but also sounds like it’s tracking to be a huge financial failure

One review had a good line:

“A world building triumph but a narrative failure.”

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Im looking forward to this movie.
The big eyes are a bit distracting and its only rated PG-13, but I think the action scenes may be good enough to make it a fun watch.

Yeah I’m on board as well. To me it seems much more creative than a lot of the action/sci-fi/superhero genre. The eyes aren’t bad to me, honestly don’t see what the big deal is about that.

hecatomb

Banned
So far the movie is getting good reviews, I'm kind of shocked. Since every other live action anime sucked.

I watched the original anime. It was good. I never watched the other things, nor read the manga.

So far the movie is getting good reviews, I'm kind of shocked. Since every other live action anime sucked.

It’s at 49 percent RT and 52 percent on Metacritic as now. It has gotten good score from some notable reviewers though.

It’s expected to open at only 12-15 mil which is awful and hopefully is underestimation.

I watched the original anime. It was good. I never watched the other things, nor read the manga.

It’s at 49 percent RT and 52 percent on Metacritic as now. It has gotten good score from some notable reviewers though.

It’s expected to open at only 12-15 mil which is awful and hopefully is underestimation.

man you really want to hate this movie

hecatomb

Banned

Lots of my favorite movies didn't do well at the theaters, like office space, clerks, army of darkness, fight club, Donnie Darko, just to name a few. I bet also theres only like 2 people on rotten tomatoes that actually read the manga, and have no idea what the movie was about. So that also doesn't mean jack shit. As for the people who actually like the manga, and read it gave the movie good reviews. So your opinion is completely invalid and worthless. Just like how I proved your opinion on Glass is also invalid.

Its sad also that anyone would give 2 shits about rotten tomatoes, since they love Star Wars SJW movies.

I never saw much hype generated or propensity for huge box office returns in this. It seems niche. If it really cost $200 million to produce, it will be a massive financial flop. The studio that bankrolled this will suffer a terrible fate indeed.

Last edited:
I never saw much hype generated or propensity for huge box office returns in this. It seems niche. If it really cost $200 million to produce, it will be a massive financial flop. The studio that bankrolled this will suffer a terrible fate indeed.

The price tag seems to match a movie with this much CGI, and apparently the CGI is really good.

It just seems like marketing wise it was never given a real shot

Shifty

Looks dumb but maybe dumb fun. That's the highest form of dumb.
That's an entertaining way to frame it. The highest form of dumb, I like that :messenger_grinning:

then ignore list welcomes you
Stick me on there as well, would you? I'll rest easier knowing that there aren't any PCP-fuelled rage rants winging their way in my direction for the tiniest perceived sleight.

Last edited:
As for the people who actually like the manga, and read it gave the movie good reviews.

I read the manga which is precisely the reason why I think this movie looks like another hot garbage Hollywood remake.

Stick me on there as well, would you? I'll rest easier knowing that there aren't any PCP-fuelled rage rants winging their way in my direction for the tiniest perceived sleight.

744700.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

nkarafo

From the various trailers and review footage, the CGI scenes look like a videogame. It's not just the graphics, it's the exaggerated animations, the choreography, direction and all that. Very typical, uninspired and boring stuff.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
That's an entertaining way to frame it. The highest form of dumb, I like that :messenger_grinning:

you know I wouldn't get mad at him, but he always argues with me in every thread, and he never has anything smart to say,

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The spider baddie's attacks are all so tremendously telegraphed, like a drunkard throwing haymakers at the bar. It would play a lot better to my eyes if the transhuman cyborg ultra death bot had any competent economy of motion in her attempts to kill Alita there. So many openings for the dodging and flourishes. Kind of lame.
It's a shame the choreography in that scene isn't spectacular, because that's like half of what the comic focuses on. Most of enemies she fights have their moves dissected and explained in the sidebar of the comic, and part of the lore in the series is a second renaissance of martial art styles being created since people now have cyborg bodies and invented new styles to use them. I'll be surprised if that stuff makes it into the film. I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom