• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers Nightwar |OT| Party Like its 1998!

Exentryk

In the first dungeon, did anyone
find the missing handle for that well where you could pull out some treasure from it? Is there some trick to it?

Burt

Anyone far in (after 3rd dungeon I think) able to answer a potential spoiler for me? I afked at one point after clearing and walking out of a dungeon and apparently something happened after that loading screen but I have no idea what.

After clearing junktown going to the world map I was in the other room and heard combat. I ran over and I was on an airship being attacked by 3 tough enemies that caused my first wipe. I have no idea what happened or if I missed some story. Figured I'd be ok to get a drink waiting for the world map to load, but I guess not.
Airships with sky pirates spawn randomly and patrol in little circles around the world map. They drop emblems that you can sell for shadow coins.

Good to know that they are doing something about having to grind levels out. I was 2-3 levels below the next dungeon and had to grind those out as it said “impossible” for all difficulty options. After completing that dungeon the next area is again 2-3 levels above me with mobs that can take 70-80% of my health in one hit. When you combine that with the gear drops not really helping with most of my equipment being 3-8 levels below my current character levels it’s a huge problem. That’s with me having to grind for a few hours and getting loot whilst doing that.

It’s super frustrating because it was one of my favourite games this year before all the technical problems and now hitting this progression wall.

melkier33

anyone know if the Xbox One version crashes a lot like the PS4 one?

Think it's just the PS4 the devs had a forum sticky saying for a bit saying it was a PS4 issue that didn't appear internally and only saw it when reviews went out. Though it could be happening on Xbox I haven't seen it mentioned by them or anyone else.

SirKhalid

I played 3 hours yesterday and I really like it. I did the first dungeon on Heroic and it was pretty challenging. Next time, I really need to make sure to rest at the inn beforehand and it was also not really a good idea to in battle against those chest to see them in battle.

Skulldead

Good to know that they are doing something about having to grind levels out. I was 2-3 levels below the next dungeon and had to grind those out as it said ”impossible" for all difficulty options. After completing that dungeon the next area is again 2-3 levels above me with mobs that can take 70-80% of my health in one hit. When you combine that with the gear drops not really helping with most of my equipment being 3-8 levels below my current character levels it's a huge problem. That's with me having to grind for a few hours and getting loot whilst doing that.

It's super frustrating because it was one of my favourite games this year before all the technical problems and now hitting this progression wall.

Here what they wrote, this seem like their current plan for the next update :

Pacing: Some users have mentioned that time to level in the back half of the game is a bit too grueling, so we're going to start flattening the curve a bit to help alleviate this
Economy: We like for gold to be a scarce, valuable resource, but it might be too scarce. We're actually fixing a bug we just found that was preventing the proper amount of gold from dropping in some minor loot containers (like crates and barrels) which should address this.
More Loot: You should find more loot in dungeons, too.
Cheaper Blacksmith Upgrades: The cost to upgrade the Blacksmith and unlocking crafting in town is going down.
Bug Fixes: We're working on myriad bug fixes, including a reported crash on PS4 that happens during some extended play sessions.

I like my game when they are challenging, i'm sure they can balance thing out to be a little less frustrating.

bumpkin

Wait people waiting for Switch can redeem those digital codes and still get the Switch
Yeah, that was the takeaway I got from an update they posted to Kickstarter backers:

Our publisher, THQNordic, is handling the fulfillment of these. Because we're unsure they'll reach those who upgraded in time, all physical backers got a bonus key with their order. You can select any platform other than Switch with this bonus key.

If you are waiting for a Switch physical copy, you can also opt for one of the other platforms now to play the game immediately.

We'll send out a separate update to these individuals once we know THQNordic has shipped the physical copies.
I paid extra to upgrade to a physical copy on Switch, so I better get the physical copy when it ships. I claimed a digital code on Steam for the time-being to pick up where I left off in the backer beta (saves carry over).

Bug Fixes: We're working on myriad bug fixes, including a reported crash on PS4 that happens during some extended play sessions.
Sounds like a memory leak.

Exentryk

^ okay thanks. I wonder if the dungeon will have reset since I've completed it?

Anyway, here is a crafting tip. Loading is so fast on PC that I don't even get to read these.

uGkv0ca.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In the first dungeon, did anyone
find the missing handle for that well where you could pull out some treasure from it? Is there some trick to it?

oh the
well was IN the dungeon? I got the crank but thought the well was out in the world
;_;

guess ill have to try a legendary run or something. Speaking of, when should you try to run dungeons again on legendary? I did the first dungeon on heroic (I didnt do normal).

is it really bad to have ripped off the sign on the one store in town? I kind of did it by accident and the game apparently auto-saves so I was stuck...

I did it and
even tho it said "the owner will remember that" when I got the owner in the store, the person never mentioned it.

Exentryk

oh the
well was IN the dungeon? I got the crank but thought the well was out in the world
;_;

guess ill have to try a legendary run or something. Speaking of, when should you try to run dungeons again on legendary? I did the first dungeon on heroic (I didnt do normal).
[/SPOILER]

Oh, it's out in the overworld? Know where in particular?

And legendary was locked for me. Haven't checked if completing it in Heroic unlocks it or not.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh, it's out in the overworld? Know where in particular?

And legendary was locked for me. Haven't checked if completing it in Heroic unlocks it or not.

it does unlock it but I didnt try it.

and i didnt say it was out in the world, I assumed it was. There is a
well in the first main town (although that is for another thing)
, but that wasnt it I tried it. I dont remember seeing a
well
in the first dungeon.

Burt

Beating the dungeon once unlocks legendary, which seems to boost the levels of everyone inside. Good change, because it wasn't like that in the beta so after your initial run it was pretty much a cakewalk.

If anyone ever figures out how to get a Mana Infused Deep Iron Ingot, I'd love to hear how.

Begaria

I get the Well crank as well as the Well to spawn in the Iron Outpost. For some reason, I didn't get all of the lore books for one of the lore sets from the dungeon. I'm thinking, due to the randomness of the dungeons, that perhaps certain things like the Well or even the lore books could be random whether they're all in there or not? I might try a Legendary run on it and find out.

Rhaknar

I also missed this secret room in the first dungeon, I even tried to use Gully's ability in places where it seemed logical. Was it easy to see, like is it a obvious cracked wall?

TeeDoff

Neo Member
In the 2nd dungeon and fishing with the starting rod/lure isn't happening. Yet the fishing stuff I can buy in town (with gold and coins) says that it is worse than what I started with!?

Burt

In the 2nd dungeon and fishing with the starting rod/lure isn't happening. Yet the fishing stuff I can buy in town (with gold and coins) says that it is worse than what I started with!?

Use shadow coins to buy the best rod/lure the artifact dealer has, it pays off quickly. You also come across another guy soon that can help you out.

Rhaknar

Use shadow coins to buy the best rod/lure the artifact dealer has, it pays off quickly. You also come across another guy soon that can help you out.

speaking of shadow coins, can we safely sell artifacts, is that all they are for?

Exentryk

Oh yeah, the dungeons are randomised right? Makes sense if certain stuff doesn't spawn. Another person got the well handle in a chest in the dungeon itself, while I didn't (even after opening all chests except secret wall one). Will check the secret wall.

So fishing gear is the best use for shadow coins at the start? Haven't spent mine yet. Haven't found anyone to sell the fishes to either yet.

TeeDoff

Neo Member

I'll check it out in a bit, I'm sure when I looked at them the stats were red and said like -54 or something though! Maybe just me being dumb.

Rhaknar

what IS the point of fishing anyway? just to sell the fish? Ive been doing all the spots I find since its easy enough but havent sold ny fish or done anything with it.

Burt

I'll check it out in a bit, I'm sure when I looked at them the stats were red and said like -54 or something though! Maybe just me being dumb.

Oh, that's one tooltip I've seen that has been bugged, the fishing stat comparison numbers. Compare the actual value on your rod/lure, not what it says is the +/- is.

For reference, I think this is the first rod I got from the collector, which lasted me through the first 3 dungeons or so.

KiraXD

oh the
;_;

I did it and
even tho it said "the owner will remember that" when I got the owner in the store, the person never mentioned it.

The owner remembered it for me, they
just ask if i know who ripped their sign, and 'bretto gets nervous

melkier33

Dam the more I play the more I want these guys to do a Chrono Trigger remake, and of course a sequel. I hope this does well sale wise.

Lanrutcon

So, who's with me: this game is surprisingly good. I was expecting average with good art, but it's actually more than that.

Rhaknar

So, who's with me: this game is surprisingly good. I was expecting average with good art, but it's actually more than that.

the art is great but its the combat that got to me, its fantastic.

Rhaknar

is there any penalty for trying a legendary dungeon and failing? if not think ill give that first one a go, my party is lvl 8, probbaly get destroyed tho.

edit: oh neat it actually shows the difficulty of the dungeon, appart from choosing normal/heroic/legendary.

Like its showing "very easy" for normal/heroic now, and "easy" for Legendry. Thats a really neat touch. Game is full of those in fact.

rpcdrag0n

is there any penalty for trying a legendary dungeon and failing? if not think ill give that first one a go, my party is lvl 8, probbaly get destroyed tho.

You lose coin, that seems to be the only penalty for dying except on some dungeon end bosses.

Begaria

I had to test it when I got home at lunch, but when you spawn a dungeon after choosing your difficulty, it stays like that until you reset it or beat it. I went in, chose Legendary on the Iron Outpost, killed some enemies and looted a chest, save/quit to desktop and reloaded. It kicked me out to the world map, but when I went inside, it saved the progress of killing those enemies (they stayed dead) and the chest was still looted.

I would've preferred to have just spawned exactly where I saved, but I guess it's better than starting over from scratch. Oh and Legendary settings seemed to have increased the level range of enemies by 3.

Rhaknar

OH SHIT

you can press Y in the perk window to get the right side perks, its a whole new list of perks for the other role... im an idiot!

all these lovely healing perks on Bretoo lawd!

Also guys dont forget to visit the beastmaster everytime you get a beastmaster achievement or whatever that is, she will have new stuff.

KiraXD

OH SHIT

you can press Y in the perk window to get the right side perks, its a whole new list of perks for the other role... im an idiot!

all these lovely healing perks on Bretoo lawd!

Also guys dont forget to visit the beastmaster everytime you get a beastmaster achievement or whatever that is, she will have new stuff.

Haha yeah, also you can remove perks and choose others any time you want.

Rhaknar

Haha yeah, also you can remove perks and choose others any time you want.

that I knew.

finished the first dungeon in Legedary at lvl 8 and it was super easy. Got me to lvl 9 and it was quite different from the first run on heroic which is nice. Still no well tho lol, fuck it, not doing it again.

I did find a secret wall for Gully's ability, and maybe its not lways the case, but there was some sort of wind coming out of it, so that might be a indiction keep an eye out.

Got a couple of upgrades too, and crafted some new rings inside the dungeon, so it was worth doing. As usual, helps that the combt is fantastic.

Level 9 tho so Im probably overlvled so going straight into heroic in dungeon 2 (well I went straight to heroic in the first one also heh)

Rhaknar

anyone figured out how to
open that gate in the abandoned waystation
on your way to the first dungeon?

seems like you would need some sort of
gem to stick in the door's eye

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I've reached the point where I have to grind to proceed and it's sucked all the energy right out of the game.

I guess they thought their random dungeon generator was hot enough shit that people would want to do these dungeons repeatedly? Cause it's not and we don't.

Burt

Well I've reached the point where I have to grind to proceed and it's sucked all the energy right out of the game.

I guess they thought their random dungeon generator was hot enough shit that people would want to do these dungeons repeatedly? Cause it's not and we don't.

Which dungeon are you at? I know there's one jump where there's a dungeon that's a few levels above where you get to it at, but there are two Exploration areas that fill the level gap.

Rhaknar

dungeon 2 on heroic down, wru Monika and Knolan and new guy :(

Maximo

Finding the game to be pretty dam easy but maybe its because I grind for EXP and loot, however the "Fire Boss" almost kicked my ass had to use 2 revives.

Top Bottom