• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Early access,Road to Battlefield 1 streams (BF1 prior release thread)

jaaz

Some random impressions after ~6 hours:

- Spotting is easier to do than the beta--more forgiving in where you are aiming or zooming in--but nowhere near the BF3/BF4 spam fest where you spot everyone on the general direction you are pointing. I think it's a good balance.
- The revive mechanic has been fixed. I've been revived a ton of time myself all by randoms and been playing a medic more than any other class. In game modes like Operations, medics are absolutely essential to revive and hold-down 2-3 control points simultaneously.
- Tanks have been nerfed, but are still deadly in the right hands. I feel you now need more skill to use tanks effectively. For example, I believe the splash damage of tank cannons have been reduced--it seems you need to really aim and lead moving targets like infrantry. In the beta, a shot in the general vicinity would kill a ground troop.
- The support class feels more viable. The LMG feels a bit more powerful and the mortar addition is fantastic. The mortar might prove to be a bit too OP however and might get a nerf (just speculation).
- It feels to me like gas grenades are much more powerful and seem to linger longer. In the beta, they seem to hardly do any damage. Now, you best press T and put on your mask quickly or you're dead.
- The scout class feels a bit more powerful, and I feel sniping will be a major factor in this game, especially with maps like Amiens. I suspect this may get a close look at by DICE. With trip mines and mini-blast shields, a sniper could really hole up somewhere and do some damage. Amiens often feels like Saving Private Ryan, all it needs is a church tower!
- The maps are great, and I would rank them this way: Amiens, St. Quentin Scar (very close second), FAO Fortress, Sinai and Suez. I haven't really played Suez too much, but when I have, it did seem like a more open Metro.
- As far as game modes, Operations is the best addition to a BF game I've ever seen. I believe it will quickly become the most played mode. It combines a historical battle with Conquest and Rush. What I love about it is that it makes holding an objective really important. My main problem with Conquest (playing with randoms) has always been that no one ever wants to stay back and hold an objective once it's captured. Everyone runs off to capture a new one, and so the game becomes a round robin game of capturing and loosing an objective. Operations fixes that, because you're only ever holding 2-3 objectives at one time before clearing the sector and moving on to the next sector. That, coupled with the cinematic and sounds like the German battle cry when moving to a new sector, makes this an instant classic BF game mode.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In that Jackfrags summary video he states the multiplayer forest map is very linear and the closest equivalent to Metro/Locker.

Teammates need to spot. Mortar is useless without spotting.

Performance is even better than the beta for me, it would dip to around 45FPS on Sinai in the beta, but now it's a constant 60FPS.

But seriously, please spot.

Tovarisc

In that Jackfrags summary video he states the multiplayer forest map is very linear and the closest equivalent to Metro/Locker.

That must be one linear and tight corridor. Suez is already linear line where is very little point to move outside of flag line. Fighting happens on either A or C either way just like in Metro or Locker.

So I know about the CDKeys.com standard version deal but is there any deals on the PC Deluxe or Ultimate edition anywhere?

Those two are Origin exclusive as far I can tell.

Megasoum

Banned
Those two are Origin exclusive as far I can tell.

Ugh... That's what I thought... The prices are so ridiculous on Origin in Canada... 100$ for the Deluxe version that really doesn't give much more than the normal version except for the couple of days early access. 165$ for the Ultimate...

I want to play an Operations game so bad I can never get in a game. That being said game is great both on XB1 and PC. I'm actually doing better on PC with my XB1 controller then on my XB1 so PC controller folks you have nothing to worry about

rdytoroll

I select Kaiserschlacht on the operations screen, then it finds a game, I get a cutscene and boom blackscreen, back to operations menu. I want to play this!

TheZink

Teammates need to spot. Mortar is useless without spotting.

Performance is even better than the beta for me, it would dip to around 45FPS on Sinai in the beta, but now it's a constant 60FPS.

But seriously, please spot.
I played for about three hours yesterday. I'm pretty sure I was the only person on my team spotting. I don't think most people know about it.

I played for about three hours yesterday. I'm pretty sure I was the only person on my team spotting. I don't think most people know about it.

Gotta lead by example, I suppose. There's probably a whole new generation of Battlefielders coming in with this entry, so a friendly reminder in chat should go a long way as long as people have chat enabled.

I know how you felt, by the way. Sometimes I'm the only one using commo rose and relaying enemy positions in chat.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bravo to DICE for creating the most powerful intro to a war game I have experienced. This game just vaulted high on my list.

Just played through the first mission and DICE really has done a great job with this. The tone, music, and gameplay are all perfect. Looks like the first great campaign they've made in a long time

Some random impressions after ~6 hours:

- Spotting is easier to do than the beta--more forgiving in where you are aiming or zooming in--but nowhere near the BF3/BF4 spam fest where you spot everyone on the general direction you are pointing. I think it's a good balance.
- The revive mechanic has been fixed. I've been revived a ton of time myself all by randoms and been playing a medic more than any other class. In game modes like Operations, medics are absolutely essential to revive and hold-down 2-3 control points simultaneously.
- Tanks have been nerfed, but are still deadly in the right hands. I feel you now need more skill to use tanks effectively. For example, I believe the splash damage of tank cannons have been reduced--it seems you need to really aim and lead moving targets like infrantry. In the beta, a shot in the general vicinity would kill a ground troop.
- The support class feels more viable. The LMG feels a bit more powerful and the mortar addition is fantastic. The mortar might prove to be a bit too OP however and might get a nerf (just speculation).
- It feels to me like gas grenades are much more powerful and seem to linger longer. In the beta, they seem to hardly do any damage. Now, you best press T and put on your mask quickly or you're dead.
- The scout class feels a bit more powerful, and I feel sniping will be a major factor in this game, especially with maps like Amiens. I suspect this may get a close look at by DICE. With trip mines and mini-blast shields, a sniper could really hole up somewhere and do some damage. Amiens often feels like Saving Private Ryan, all it needs is a church tower!
- The maps are great, and I would rank them this way: Amiens, St. Quentin Scar (very close second), FAO Fortress, Sinai and Suez. I haven't really played Suez too much, but when I have, it did seem like a more open Metro.
- As far as game modes, Operations is the best addition to a BF game I've ever seen. I believe it will quickly become the most played mode. It combines a historical battle with Conquest and Rush. What I love about it is that it makes holding an objective really important. My main problem with Conquest (playing with randoms) has always been that no one ever wants to stay back and hold an objective once it's captured. Everyone runs off to capture a new one, and so the game becomes a round robin game of capturing and loosing an objective. Operations fixes that, because you're only ever holding 2-3 objectives at one time before clearing the sector and moving on to the next sector. That, coupled with the cinematic and sounds like the German battle cry when moving to a new sector, makes this an instant classic BF game mode.

I swore off BF4 because of the crazy dorito spotting and all the other ways you could get spotted.

In the beta, you NEEDED to be pinpoint accurate to mark enemies. This made it so that if you were some medic pointing in the distance, you couldnt just vaguely spot someone far off. You needed a scope to do that. That was an excellent design choice IMO.

People were under the impression that they should be rewarded with a spot simply for pressing the button.

If it's adjusted to be slightly easier, that's fine. But I really dont want it to be as easy as BF4. I seriously hated that game for feeling so damn automated. You were chasing around doritos and you couldnt as so much fire a gun without getting hounded by the enemies. This was a huge problem with long time players who were trained to rush an enemy when they fired their gun.

I love BF1 because when an enemy fires at a teammate, and when I hear screams, I get terrified and panic. I hit the ground or quickly turn a corner, or turn around trying to follow the sound. In BF4, you look at your radar, and pinpoint the enemy. Awful.

I loathed it. I guess spotting isnt a big issue as that, but I do hope it's not the case that Im shooting at dots

I really think the game has a ton of decent marking options (scout abilities, recon planes), and that spotting as a soldier should be limited in balance with that.

Generally, how does the spotting work? Is there a cooldown? How does the cooldown work? How long are you spotted for? How much bigger are the spot marks? The beta was a beautiful battlefield with minimalist pop ups. I hope it's not too bad

Dammit, all these positive impressions are making me really contemplate getting the Deluxe PC edition off of Origin, despite kind of feeling burned by Battlefront last year and BF4 at launch before that.

But going back to a historical setting is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of BF and I had a ton of fun in the Beta, so I'm leaning towards the Deluxe edition, just so I can play this a couple days early. The Operations mode sounds really great and the campaign maybe isn't total rubbish? At the very least I'm more interested in the campaign since this is grounded in some sense of history and real battles and not just generic modern warfare scenarios like BF3 and 4.

Coming off of the Beta though, I just hope they haven't nerfed tanks too much. They were maybe a little OP there but they should still be tanks- maybe in their WWI era incarnations they shouldn't be quite as mobile or pack as much firepower but I just hope they haven't become too fragile. On the other hand, I do hope they've nerfed the Scout a little bit, as the Beta seemed to have way too many people just camping out sniping. Or at the very least give other classes more options to deal with snipers.

I've never understood why people were so against spotting. You'd think every player was running around lit up like a Christmas tree, but in my experience nobody ever spots other people anyway, it's like pulling teeth. If you got killed, it was almost certainly nothing to do with being spotted lol.

Sometimes, Battlefield 1 is like

30303574136_036f76cb02_o.jpg

29708627974_66bae4a7b7_o.jpg

But then it's also like

30305402656_281b86c3e0_o.jpg

Ehhh.

LOD and grass rendering distance are quite bad. But if things are close, they look good.

I've never understood why people were so against spotting. You'd think every player was running around lit up like a Christmas tree, but in my experience nobody ever spots other people anyway, it's like pulling teeth. If you got killed, it was almost certainly nothing to do with being spotted lol.

In BF3 and 4 I was always spotting everything and anything. Putting a limit to it is fine since I think the over prevalence of spotting in BF3 and 4 made it so you'd end up paying more attention to your radar to get a bead on somebody than actually being mindful of the actual game environment.

That said, with Scouts camping out, maybe it would be nice if they stayed lit up longer after they were spotted so they can't just camp with impunity without being noticed.

They didnt reveal that forested map and the mountainous map did they? Im glad we got the Metro map out of the way. I was afraid one of those beautiful maps would be the Metro map

Cake Boss

Banned
Best battlefield since bad company 2 that's all I got to say.

Would love to have a winning team though. It's like Overwatch, you will get killed soloing this with randoms.

In BF3 and 4 I was always spotting everything and anything. Putting a limit to it is fine since I think the over prevalence of spotting in BF3 and 4 made it so you'd end up paying more attention to your radar to get a bead on somebody than actually being mindful of the actual game environment.

That said, with Scouts camping out, maybe it would be nice if they stayed lit up longer after they were spotted so they can't just camp with impunity without being noticed.

That was exactly the problem. I was always spotting, and when playing with some high level players, they would often spot too. It made it completely reliant on the minimap, and I hated the game for it. BF1 feels much more immersive because the minimap isn't the dominant focus.

That said, I think scouts should get a specially long marking time, especially since they aren't moving around. I hate the fact that they are encouraged to camp it out with their little shields. Seems like such an awful idea.

Im hoping that the planes that spot enemies alleviate some of the ground spotting troops have to do. Planes seem to do a promising job of reconnaissance.

I hear they nerfed planes, which is disappointing. Hopefully it's balanced out. How bad is the tank nerf? I can agree that getting kills with one of the turrets was super easy, but I enjoyed that it took multiple teammates to take out a tank.

Pheace

Anyone know if the version on GMG will include the early enlister stuff? It's not mentioned so I'm guessing not, despite that it should be a preorder if I buy it now?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sometimes, Battlefield 1 is like

30303574136_036f76cb02_o.jpg

29708627974_66bae4a7b7_o.jpg

But then it's also like

30305402656_281b86c3e0_o.jpg

Ehhh.

LOD and grass rendering distance are quite bad. But if things are close, they look good.

It's definitely not perfect. I feel a lot of the shaders are sampled quite cheaply, particularly reflections and ambiant occlusions, both of which react very unrealistically when geometry obscures between the shader and viewpoint.

I also notice the reflection shader ever so briefly pops in when you turn quickly 180 to face it. Like Frostbite has a low update rate for the shader.

The Death Star DLC has the same issue, where Mirrors Edge does not.

KJRage

Is there anything I'm missing out on if I hold back on buying the season pass at launch? Since there isn't anything coming out until March, I didn't know if there was some other perk or point in getting it before then.

Tovarisc

Is there anything I'm missing out on if I hold back on buying the season pass at launch? Since there isn't anything coming out until March, I didn't know if there was some other perk or point in getting it before then.

Just some useless fluff like dogtags and "freebie" battlepacks.

Theorry

Dont think its worth it. And that comes someone who bought every premium pass so far.
Like you said first dlc is a long time away and buying premium for some extra battlepacks, dogtags and maybe some double xp events. But that has not been confirmed yet. Seems abit much.

rdytoroll

Dammit, all these positive impressions are making me really contemplate getting the Deluxe PC edition off of Origin, despite kind of feeling burned by Battlefront last year and BF4 at launch before that.

But going back to a historical setting is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of BF and I had a ton of fun in the Beta, so I'm leaning towards the Deluxe edition, just so I can play this a couple days early. The Operations mode sounds really great and the campaign maybe isn't total rubbish? At the very least I'm more interested in the campaign since this is grounded in some sense of history and real battles and not just generic modern warfare scenarios like BF3 and 4.

Absolutely buy it. I was in the same position as you, there are too many futuristic and modern shooters out there. This one feels like going back to the roots. No bullshit, just straight up boots on the ground. BF4 didn't grab me and Battlefront was a disappointment. I've been playing the Trial for a few days now, an hour here and there to last me until launch and it's fucking amazing. So I bought the Deluxe Edition today, because it's that good, can't wait any longer.

I also just finished the campaign with Black Bess and it was great. Singleplayer could be amazing if the other campaigns are just as good. Can't tell you about operations because I can't get in a game, but they do sound interesting indeed.

Holy shit, is there no way to disable to damn pop-up on Xbox One? A message keeps popping up telling me to continue playing the trial, or to go to the store. It's gotten me killed like 3 times already.

Top Bottom