• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

So we should not be hyped because you aren't confident in DICE.
Got it.
Everyone, dial back the hype because SlightlySweatyPanda isn't feeling it.
Wait and see, bf4 was not good at all. Lacking, short, repetitive and mostly just boring with a bit of flash.

Bf3 was mostly the same and a bit better than 4.

Not gonnaet this one trick me until we have a greater grasp on the actual game after time with it

16BitNova

So if this is WW1, was there really automatic weapons in that time like that one rifle in the trailer? I was under the impression that all guns during that time were single shot and took forever to reload.

Snackawho

So if this is WW1, was there really automatic weapons in that time like that one rifle in the trailer? I was under the impression that all guns during that time were single shot and took forever to reload.

Nahh there were a ton of automatic weapons, at least for machine guns. You're probably thinking of the civil war

Sibylus

Banned
Semi-automatic rifles and sub-machine guns were present but in low quantities (bleeding edge tech, if memory serves). Automatic machine guns were widespread and very common.

Bolt-action repeating rifles were the most common rifle iirc. Small magazines but not single shot and reload, and definitely not muzzle-loaders like old fashioned muskets and rifles.

DZ_b_EZ

Wait a minute....

Wait a minute......

Hold back for a second.........

Do you mean to tell me this game company has been making developing three games at once???

Star Wars Battlefront, Mirror's Edge, and Battlefield 1???

Bishop89

Funny how many people day 1 because of a CG trailer and a logo.

After BF4 and Battlefront, I will be skeptical of this.
Dices bf trailers essentially represent what the final game will be like, so if you like the look of the trailer most likely you'll like the final game

Coffinhal

Wait a minute....

Wait a minute......

Do you mean to tell me this game company has been making developing three games at once???

They probably are already on the next 2018 Battlefront sequel too

Trojan

Having thrown 1000 hrs in BF4, all I need is a release date actually. People saying BF4 is bad probably are still living in 2014.

+1 on this. Mainline Battlefield games deliver. We'll be playing this game for years to come.

I'm with you dudes. I played the shit out of BF3 and BF4, more than any other FPS series. DICE just supports the hell out of them and they improve steadily after release.

Kibbles

HLLxGD3.gif

Semi-automatic rifles and sub-machine guns were present but in low quantities (bleeding edge tech, if memory serves). Automatic machine guns were widespread and very common.

Bolt-action repeating rifles were the most common rifle iirc. Small magazines but not single shot and reload, and definitely not muzzle-loaders like old fashioned muskets and rifles.

Automatic, man carried firearms were not a significant part of WWI. There were, as you said, end-war firearms that made their appearance in extremely insignificant numbers on the front lines at the very last minutes of the war (exaggerating of course). These models carried over and became more common in WWII. WWI was largely fought with semi-automatic man carries rifles and other mounted guns.

• Medic has syringe revives
  • One of the maps mentioned looks HUGE--old BF style
  • Gameplay trailer looked similar; reveal trailer really didn't seem "facetious" in comparison (I think he meant fallacious/false?)
  • Air combat: dogfights, strafing runs, bombing runs--DICE wants there to be a lot of air options; you can sit in friend's gunner seat while they do strafing/bombing runs or dogfight
  • You can control battleships; can demolish shoreline (ground deformation was mentioned in another description)
  • Horses will be best for scouting/flanking (like bikes)
  • Supposed to have a new melee system
  • Bayonet charge ability
  • Can likely use sabers
  • Support seem like they'll have heavy machineguns
  • Seems like four classes will have weapons similar to what we'd expect
  • SP: more "open" campaign, make it feel like a "Battlefield" campaign as opposed to BF3/4 (he said it sounded more like Bad Company's campaign)
  • Trying to make use of battlegrounds a lot of people don't know about
  • Progression system wasn't confirmed; neither was weapon customization
  • Didn't find out if you can pilot the zeppelin/barrage, but it's not just a part of the skybox; planes flying around it
  • Seems very close to completion

kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

This game. I haven't really gotten into any shooters on current gen because COD has been meh, BF4 bit me in the ass at launch, and Destiny you know. This looks like it might be it for me.

RoKKeR

Animation maybe looks like he is just coming out of a sprint.

Can't wait to see some gameplay... I hope the campaign is half decent.

• Gameplay trailer looked similar; reveal trailer really didn't seem "facetious" in comparison (I think he meant fallacious/false?)
  • Air combat: dogfights, strafing runs, bombing runs--DICE wants there to be a lot of air options; you can sit in friend's gunner seat while they do strafing/bombing runs or dogfight
  • You can control battleships; can demolish shoreline (ground deformation was mentioned in another description)
  • Bayonet charge ability
  • Can likely use sabers
  • SP: more "open" campaign, make it feel like a "Battlefield" campaign as opposed to BF3/4 (he said it sounded more like Bad Company's campaign)
  • Didn't find out if you can pilot the zeppelin/barrage, but it's not just a part of the skybox; planes flying around it

Mind if I break this out into a new thread?

Automatic, man carried firearms were not a significant part of WWI. There were, as you said, end-war firearms that made their appearance in extremely insignificant numbers on the front lines at the very last minutes of the war (exaggerating of course). These models carried over and became more common in WWII. WWI was largely fought with semi-automatic man carries rifles and other mounted guns.

Pistols and melee weapons were also pretty important for trench warfare. Bayonets tended to break easily, so soldiers tended to carry trench clubs (as seen on the cover), trench knives, sharpened spades/entrenching tools, hatchets, and pickaxes in addition to their rifle bayonets
trench-weapons-used-by-british-and-canadian-soldiers-in-wwi-on-display-at-the-canadian-war-museum-in-ottawa.jpg

Pistols and melee weapons were also pretty important for trench warfare. Bayonets tended to break easily, so soldiers tended to carry trench clubs (as seen on the cover), trench knives, sharpened spades/entrenching tools, hatchets, and pickaxes in addition to their rifle bayonets
trench-weapons-used-by-british-and-canadian-soldiers-in-wwi-on-display-at-the-canadian-war-museum-in-ottawa.jpg

That M1911 looks good definitely my favorite pistol of all time "The old one but reliable" it's what I say

Needs a rename and less orange and blue... but totally looks cool. WW1 is generally regarded as boring as shit, but they sure made it look interesting.

RoKKeR

Go for it! LevelCap just posted his vid (17 mins) with behind-closed-doors comments but don't know if I'll have time tonight to watch.

Thanks!

Yep I'm watching it now. If I've got some time I might do a similar write-up for it, because he has a lot of extra specifics/details.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
+1 on this. Mainline Battlefield games deliver. We'll be playing this game for years to come.

Exactly. BF4 still has a really healthy population.

Hopefully DICE LA has been involved with this. They did a phenomenal job with post-launch support for BF4.

The trailer has about 4.5 million views already. Very impressive.

There's 4 or 5 threads in the top 20 on Reddit of just the trailer still too.

Kibbles

• Bayonet charge ability
  • Can likely use sabers
huh I wonder if they'll release this gameplay trailer soon for everyone.

barit

You're absolutely right, but my reason for not liking the title is really not something rational at all. I can't even explain why I don't like it...it's just a gut feeling without a clear explanation (yet).

I'm with you. Maybe it's the setting. WWI was still one of the cruelest war in history of mankind. After playing Valiant Hearts I'd have never thought to see this setting again as the next glorified holiday shooter. Don't get me wrong. All wars are dirty, brutal and inhuman and shouldn't be celebrated (except their ends) just for their spectacle. But WWI feels somehow different.

Wait a minute....

Wait a minute......

Two four hour campaigns plus mp and mp only. Not exactly that hard to believe in the bf and sw titles atleast.

You could really feel it in the bf4 campaign. So, I don't see the pros. A bad game is bad forever.

The part with the green smoke.....will the game look like that?

The graphical fidelity seems similar to Battlefront, so yeah probably. I didn't really like the particle effects for the gas since it just looks like they took a smoke grenade and colored it a greenish yellow. Gas tends to look more fog-like than smoke

Top Bottom