• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 did not have a campaign

SantaC

Gold Member
And yet I see people shocked that BF2042 wont have a campaign, acting like it is the first game in the series without one.

What BF1942, BF2 and BF2142 had was single player modes playing against bots, thats it. And from the sound of it; BF2042 brings back that possibility.

Sybrix

These people moaning about no single player are 15 year olds at the most and haven’t experienced any BF game pre BF1.

I can kinda see where they are coming from if their only BF experience is BF1 onwards, however anyone who has played BF4 onwards or before and moaning about no SP is either trolling or a complete idiot

Ironbunny

Yea I dont understand it either. I am All in for the multiplayer as I've been for every Battlefield before. Never touched the single-player other to unlock some perks.

Battlefield single player campaigns always sucked. Was more of a graphical showcase than anything and just plain boring to get through.

Visuals that make you go hard. Gameplay that makes you go soft. Its highly frustrating like your gf tickling your balls then walking away leaving you with a stiff one. Then you go soft and she returns to tickle again and walks away. So annoying.

Last edited:

Poplin

so those games are from a different era. Rightful concern that there's no campaign, will likely impact total sales which sadly may then impact how much support the game gets long term. Expect this to do poorly in Europe where campaign really matters, as well as on non-core console players. PC will probably do fine, but not mega numbers either. Really surprised EA went this direction, have never seen it go well.

At least Activision only charged $20 for mw2 remake single player.
EA should only charge $20-$30 for mp.
Esp since it's divided into season purchases
There is nothing divided.
Whatever the seasons will bring, everything regarding gameplay will be free.
If you want to buy the premium battlepass or whatever with real money, that will be skins only.

I remember when BF3 came out and a campaign was announced how people moaned that this was a waste of resources and they were trying to copy CoD and BF didnt need a campaign since no one plays it. there were entire threads, no one who played BF wanted a campaign. Eevery campaign released for a BF has been called weak and a waste of resources.

no campaign announced...."im not buying theres no campaign"

This isnt some color of the week mp only ready to fail franchise that gets released on steam...every BF back to BC2 still has very full servers all the time...no one ever cared about campaign in this series

Ironbunny

so those games are from a different era. Rightful concern that there's no campaign, will likely impact total sales which sadly may then impact how much support the game gets long term. Expect this to do poorly in Europe where campaign really matters, as well as on non-core console players. PC will probably do fine, but not mega numbers either. Really surprised EA went this direction, have never seen it go well.

I would add that no campaign affects the short term sales but its in the multiplayer and microstransactions where the real butter is. Especially now that they are going all in with live service. Why do you say campaign matters in Europe?

THEAP99

Banned
Standards have changed. The no campaign thing wouldn't be as big of an issue if they weren't launching with less maps than the previous installments and charging $70 up the arse for a game that's online only and has micro-transactions.

I'll get the game a year later when it's down in price and actually fully complete with more content.

Last edited:

JayK47

BF Vietnam as well. I do not think I even touched BF3's campaign. I enjoyed Bad Company 1 and 2 and BF1 had some ok campaign shorts. But BF really should not have touched single player in the first place.

TrebleShot

Of the opinion that single player does not belong in BF.

historically it’s a MP game only and like many have stated I don’t think I ever touched the Sp on BF1 or BFV.

7 maps is fine as long as they are decent. If you log into BFV your v likely to be playing x3 wake island pacific war maps and you know what it’s fine they are very good maps.
Remains to be seen the quality.

I don't care too much about BF single player campaigns, but this newest entry is objectively a lesser value without one. It doesn't help that they immediately start talking about additional ways to monetize the game. Makes it seem like you get less for more.

I haven't forgotten BFV yet though, so I'm not convinced regardless.

BigLee74

Folk are quite entitled to be disappointed that there is no campaign. Whether you regard the campaign as rubbish or a waste of time is subjective. I remember good times co-oping the BF3 and 4 campaigns with friends.

I personally quite like a jaunt through the campaign before diving into the MP. I’m also older than 15, not a troll, not a complete idiot, and have played ALL battlefields - go figure!

Regarding Battlefield MP itself - when you are in a communicating squad of mates that know how to play the game, there is no better online experience. Conversely, when in a squad of randoms, it can be the absolute pits, and I’ll often nope out after 5 minutes and go and solo in COD instead.

Naked Lunch

I remember reading this tweet from a now former DICE dev:

DICE are caught up in a situation of their own making. In my opinion the series should have always remained MP only.
I like they are taking the hard stance now - and going back to MP only. It needed to happen.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm absolutely fine with no campaign, and if anything I welcome it. The campaigns, outside of the original Bad Company and even that wasn't mind-blowing, have been absolutely trash. I'd much rather all their resources go directly into the multiplayer. That will always be the bread and butter of Battlefield.

Of the opinion that single player does not belong in BF.

historically it’s a MP game only and like many have stated I don’t think I ever touched the Sp on BF1 or BFV.
The history argument is bs and you know that. Historically BF was PC only, should we stick to history?

CitizenZ

Banned
I hadnt even been thinking of BF 1942 for yrs until I saw this post. Damn, thats when sht was good.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Shocked.

“Finicky gamers bitch about no campaign in new battlefield. Also complained when there was one in previous entries! News at 11. “

Whatever your thoughts on the Battlefield campaigns, Battlefield has been a game that has single player and multiplayer since 2008, it was multiplayer only from 2002 to 2006. It's had a single player campaign for far longer than when it didn't have one. To act like people shouldn't be disappointed doesn't make sense and feels like you're just an old timer who doesn't realize Battlefield 2142 (the last multiplayer-only Battlefield) came out 15 years ago. Sure most people play Battlefield for the multiplayer, but the same is true for COD and people blasted that when it didn't have a campaign too.

Killer8

Battlefield campaigns have been terrible for years so I don't care about their exclusion. What I do care about is whether the budget is being put back into the MP to make it even better and good value for money. So far based on the price and map count, that seems like it hasn't happened. Also watch as the gameplay looks nowhere near as good as the reveal trailer (see: every Frostbite reveal ever).

People actually played the campaigns in BF? I thought everyone just skipped over them and jumped straight into multiplayer. If anything, they were just a tutorial for the multiplayer.

Who even takes his time to play single player BF? It's always just bad. Not worth playing. BF is all about multiplayer; vehicles, destructable environments, rushing from objective to objective with your friends.

I'm more than sure that most of those people complaining about lack of campaign would not even touch it.
For that price without Campaign is a not thx for me.

Full price for a game, but just think about what you're getting. I've played thousands of hours of BF4, bought it both on PS4 and Xbox One. Played thousands of hours of BF1, bought it on both PC and Xbox One X. Price of BF games is always easily justified when you think of how many hours of entertainment it offers, this is not an 8 hours of a single player game, fans of this game will play it for years. I'm still playing BF1 and BFV, more BF1 than BFV that is, to be precise.

I'm not even bothered with the return of premium pass, BF1 had it and Dice supported the game like crazy, French, Russian, Turkish DLCs added so much depth to the game. Never felt like getting ripped off. BFV did not have premium pass and it died very soon.

packy34

Exactly. I’m not mad it only has MP, I’m annoyed that a MP only game is shipping with just SEVEN maps for $70. Fucking $10 per map.
Sure, it's $10 per map if we're putting 0 value in any other aspect of the game... and if we're ignoring free future updates

These people moaning about no single player are 15 year olds at the most and haven’t experienced any BF game pre BF1.

I can kinda see where they are coming from if their only BF experience is BF1 onwards, however anyone who has played BF4 onwards or before and moaning about no SP is either trolling or a complete idiot
were getting to a place with gaming where we are getting old. Our references fall upon deaf ears to the 13-18 crowd....which comprises alot of social media and gaming...

Top Bottom