• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 @ E3, Free Battlelog Announced [4+ Hours Of Livestreams Tuesday]

Nirolak said:
This is great news.

Now hopefully people who just want to play Team Deathmatch will stay out of Rush and Conquest.

Let's be honest. Rush became TDM if one team sucked. And it would be that way all to the end of the round. Rush was broken most of the time. :p

Eric WK

The other night I was talking to a friend of mine and told him that DICE/EA were either going to begin revamping their social tools to rival the COD Elite features and offer it for free or that they had already started. I'm not sure what the case actually is, but either way, fantastic.

Very, very excited to see multiplayer next week.

ultron87

The funny thing is that the Battlelog will probably give features that are incredibly comparable to the free stuff that COD: Elite will offer, but EA gets this easy PR victory due to Activision seriously bungling the Elite announcement by being so cagey about what is free and what is paid.

Pete Rock

I'm not excited until they announce a theater replay/clipping mode, they really need one, particularly to tie into the statistics website.

lockload

Mr. B Natural said:
Yet again, EA is trying to market their franchise into a COD-beater product rather than just selling a good game. You're not gonna conquer the competition else by constantly garnering attention to the opposition. Yes, it may gather more sales in the short run, but in the long run, you're positioning yourself as the reactionary follower not the LEADER that you claim you want to be.

Battlefield games have had online stats for many years
The battlefield series has introduced destruction

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bring back barrels that break the game when you drive over them! :p

Awesome jab at CoD Elite. I'll be buying both, but it's good to see EA keeping Acti honest.

NinjaEdit: CO-OP!

lockload said:
That and if MW3 is heading towards large open battles.. what does BF3 have to prove? They've always had large scale battles with vehicles.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
MiniBossBattle said:
I just hope they have a training mode so I can learn to properly fly a helicopter.

I prefer to learn buy seeing a bunch of players jump in and see them parachute out as I ram a tree.

lockload said:

Not to mention actual damage range variance from shots due to distance.
And actual new engines.
and maps designed for 64 players.
In other games you have to do some server tricks to get 64 players, and hope the maps don't crash lol.

While it is easy to understand his point about the long term and how DICE could look like a 'me-too-but-better' company, they already have plenty of good introductions in their resume.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Everything is a distant second to this for me. My love for DICE grows. Can't wait to see how these community features improve the game.

woober

maniac-kun said:
Its fun learning it while 5 people sitting in the thing <:

Exactly. You need to feel responsibility! No better way than to put the lives of several teammates in your hands. :)

Raide

woober said:
Exactly. You need to feel responsibility! No better way than to put the lives of several teammates in your hands. :)

"Damn, I suck a flying" *Bails out the sea*

woober

Kyaw said:
Multiplayer with empty servers on PC is the best thing ever.

With friendly fire off and some friends. Then C4 and blast yourselves into the sky. Man there was so much silly stuff you could do in BF2.

lockload said:
So what? I was referring to the marketing. Interpret then respond.
Not a single game has ever dominated the competition by constantly reminding people how much better it is than the leading brand. You just make a good game and let it sell itself AS itself. COD4 was not the Halo-beater and did not constantly try to compare itself to halo. The same applied to Halo back when Unreal and Quake dominated the scene. It was just a new game...and people flocked. "Sega does what Nintendon't" didn't do Sega any favors in the long run. Again, not referring to the quality of Sega's products here.

wwm0nkey

Frankenstrat said:
oh damn co-op? will be needing to get this to play with roommates next year then
We have known about the drop in drop out co-op for awhile since Game Informer I believe.

Binabik15

Uw6dR.jpg

IchigoSharingan said:
...Not to mention actual damage range variance from shots due to distance. ....
COD has damage drop, usually to the order of 50-40, 40-30, 40-20, 35-25, etc.
All Sniper rifles and most LMG's have a flatline damage value in mw2 and BO
Not like in real life standing 30ft back would make a bit of difference
What I would LOVE to see is RISING damage for sniper rifles, example 40close-70far in cod and 50-70 in BC, would absolutely BREAK quickscoping, which relies on massive damage at close range with no time for opponents to shoot back. Now if you found a way to quickscope with those damage numbers you would only get hitmarkers unless you did it at a range, in which case QS'ing is inferior to standard firing.

zlatko

Banned
This is just too god like. Whenever I hop into a BF3 thread I come away pleased and grow even more cold to MW3.

Hell... did I just read right and see there will be a TDM game type? As in, standard FPS TDM game type? Sometimes I just wanna fuck guys up and NOT try to work together on an objective with randoms, and the inclusion of a standard TDM game type is music to my ears.

Still a day one buy for me on PC. DICE is definitely out for blood this year.

Your move MW3.

Salsa

fucking awesome

now tell me they're gonna make the pre-order available on Steam instead of just their own service.

slopeslider said:
COD has damage drop, usually to the order of 50-40, 40-30, 40-20, 35-25, etc.
All Sniper rifles and most LMG's have a flatline damage value in mw2 and BO
Not like in real life standing 30ft back would make a bit of difference
What I would LOVE to see is RISING damage for sniper rifles, example 40close-70far in cod and 50-70 in BC, would absolutely BREAK quickscoping, which relies on massive damage at close range with no time for opponents to shoot back. Now if you found a way to quickscope with those damage numbers you would only get hitmarkers unless you did it at a range, in which case QS'ing is inferior to standard firing.

They should just get rid of QSing... I am in favor of hitting a target and taking it out before it has a chance to react. But QSing gives too much of an advantage in that regard. I prefer bolt action rifles with no scope. :p

ultron87

zlatko said:
This is just too god like. Whenever I hop into a BF3 thread I come away pleased and grow even more cold to MW3.

Hell... did I just read right and see there will be a TDM game type? As in, standard FPS TDM game type? Sometimes I just wanna fuck guys up and NOT try to work together on an objective with randoms, and the inclusion of a standard TDM game type is music to my ears.

Still a day one buy for me on PC. DICE is definitely out for blood this year.

Your move MW3.

The new news in this thread could be almost word for word about MW3 and would be true.

Co-op - Yep
TDM - Yep
Stat Tracking for Free - Yep. (There's absolutely no reason to assume that it won't be for MW3, unless you think Activision is actually insane.)

Pretty much the only thing that wouldn't be true is the ability to disable vehicles. And I guess the comments about cutting edge graphics if you're being snarky. (Though I doubt console BF3 will look that much better than MW3.)

Arnie

tuco11 said:
Will multi be 60fps? COD is 60fps right? Just wondering.
Only on PC. Console versions will no doubt be ~30, which is a fair trade off given the tech behind the game, tech that makes an actual difference to how the game plays such as destruction.

Nirolak said:
This is great news.

Now hopefully people who just want to play Team Deathmatch will stay out of Rush and Conquest.
The thought of this makes me so happy.

Oh and I hope/expect DICE to make Conquest their primary focus when demoing the game.

Ark

TDM? FINALLY.

Conquest is by far the best game mode of any FPS in the world, but TDM never goes amiss.

ultron87 said:
The new news in this thread could be almost word for word about MW3 and would be true.

Co-op - Yep
TDM - Yep
Stat Tracking for Free - Yep. (There's absolutely no reason to assume that it won't be for MW3, unless you think Activision is actually insane.)

Pretty much the only thing that wouldn't be true is the ability to disable vehicles. And I guess the comments about cutting edge graphics if you're being snarky. (Though I doubt console BF3 will look that much better than MW3.)

The differences in the engines is uncanny. DICE deserves praise for their hard work on the new Frost Bite engine. For that reason alone it isn't snarky to make a comparison.

ultron87 said:
The new news in this thread could be almost word for word about a shit ton of shooters and would be true.

Co-op - Yep
TDM - Yep

Fixed.

And your last comment is HILARIOUS. There are games out now that look better than MW3--it's not a difficult feat. BF3's graphics aren't just shiny shaders and highly detailed models, it's the lighting and animation.

Top Bottom