• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

punkypine

i agree with the idea that you should just reserve spots for the top 64 donors of all time. If there ever are 64 donors, the chances that any significant number of them are on at the same time isn't that high, especially after the first few weeks.

Nabs

Legato.Reborn- said:
Why is Mumble the VOIP standard now?

I think TS3/Ventrilo is such a better alternative (imo).

Better quality, less latency, and cheaper to host. It's super valuable when it comes to team shooters like this. The others don't do anything better, unless I'm missing something.

abuC

Nabs said:
Better quality, less latency, and cheaper to host. It's super valuable when it comes to team shooters like this. The others don't do anything better, unless I'm missing something.
How does it work? I'm new to pc gaming, do you have to push a key to speak or is it an open channel.

gillFTR

I have a question. We will have random people who converge to our server and favorite it as the server they prefer. If we do open donations to them, how would we handle it for people outside of gaf? or will donations be strictly gaf always.

Nabs

abuC said:
How does it work? I'm new to pc gaming, do you have to push a key to speak or is it an open channel.

You can set it however you like (Push, Open, Voice Activity). Push to talk is usually the best option, especially when you have a lot of people in a channel. Most mice have a few extra buttons on the side, so that makes PTT a bit easier.

It also has an optional overlay that shows the names of the people in the channel. It's pretty helpful when you're in a room with a bunch of new people.

scogoth

Nabs said:
You can set it however you like (Push, Open, Voice Activity). Push to talk is usually the best option, especially when you have a lot of people in a channel. Most mice have a few extra buttons on the side, so that makes PTT a bit easier.

It also has an optional overlay that shows the names of the people in the channel. It's pretty helpful when you're in a room with a bunch of new people.

And please wear headphones, nothing more annoying then hearing everyone echo through your mic because your using speakers.

abuC

Nabs said:

Thanks, that's very cool, can't wait to try it out.

LordCanti

gillFTR said:
I have a question. We will have random people who converge to our server and favorite it as the server they prefer. If we do open donations to them, how would we handle it for people outside of gaf? or will donations be strictly gaf always.

I was thinking strictly GAF, unless we needed to open it to the public.

edit: For donations specifically. We'll probably need non GAF players to fill 64 slots.

LordCanti said:
I was thinking strictly GAF, unless we needed to open it to the public.

edit: For donations specifically. We'll probably need non GAF players to fill 64 slots.

Yeah. I mean, if anything, if we have openings for a month and no gaffers are left to contribute, we could put a notice on our server/banner and let peeps know that slots are up for grabs? Not sure how feasible that is, but it's an idea.

Also, we officially have enough money for the first month! $118.37!

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah. I mean, if anything, if we have openings for a month and no gaffers are left to contribute, we could put a notice on our server/banner and let peeps know that slots are up for grabs? Not sure how feasible that is, but it's an idea.

Also, we officially have enough money for the first month! $118.37!

If it's anything like BC2, we should get some kind of pre-game splash screen to put our info on. If not, we can do in-game server announcements hopefully.

Also: Yay first month. The only (big) thing left to do is figure out which server host we're going with.

Up to $170! Thanks, all!

I think I'm going to be keeping track of our usernames in one location...just haven't decided it's going to be the blog or the OP. I'm also no longer going to be keeping track of pledges to contribute, since we now have a list of actual contributors on the blog.

Canti,
It seemed like we were leaning toward i3d? As the other options were either too expensive or too laggy. I'll try to hop on some i3d servers this weekend.

Damn, up to $197 now! Two months in the bag
grin.gif

Someone donated $25 and didn't leave their GAF name. May have been truly anonymous, but please remember to add your name. If you don't, it creates an awkward position where I have to ask who donated, and I want to make sure the right person is credited (i.e. someone doesn't claim your donation as their own).

Menelaus

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
it creates an awkward position where I have to ask who donated
You could just post the first few pieces of their email address and have them complete it for verification.

Bru

Oops, looks like I'm the anonymous donor!

If you check the email connected to the donation it should work out.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Canti,
It seemed like we were leaning toward i3d? As the other options were either too expensive or too laggy. I'll try to hop on some i3d servers this weekend.

i3d or multiplay. They hosted most of the alpha servers, and seem to be in the best position to host the retail servers.

I don't really know if one is better than the other.

I hope this beta is soon, so everyone can get a better idea of the performance of their servers. They are likely to be the biggest hosts during the beta as well.

I'm extremely bummed. i probably won't be able to get a computer to run BF3 until January/February now. so unfortunately I won't be contributing to the server until then. I'm just getting the console version for now :/

if this is still getting good support in January I'll chip in then.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
How long until a Goon gets kicked by Mr. Snrub for "nonono"?

Rofl. Getting kicked for being too good is priceless. On Valparaiso, in the first portion (where the attackers come down the hill with a LAV, and a heli) I'm pretty much a chopper destroying God. Do it once or twice and admins are usually cool, but bring that chopper down a third time and they RAGE.

I guess we should start thinking about rules. How does team balancing, no base raping, and no racial slurs sound? (Over text + in-game voice. If people on Mumble want to throw down the N word, that is up to Mumble's admin's to deal with I'd think).

Unless you guys want a good old fashioned Xbox Live style racial epithet-a-thon.

(This is sarcasm. Please don't want this.)

We should have a vote at some point, I'd think. A poll perhaps.

Oh, and as my Ban message, I reserve the right to use "Tried to make me go to rehab".

Or "MAH MAN! WHY U CHEATIN/BASE RAPIN/BEIN RACIST?"

punkypine

Gaf server, gaf style rules?
Voice chat can be a little more forgiving because of moments of anger, but the whole benefit of playing on a gaf server would be maturity

Menelaus

Banned
LordCanti said:
Oh, and as my Ban message, I reserve the right to use "Tried to make me go to rehab".
lol, clever!

I'm for as few rules as possible. The less admining we have to do the better. Couldn't care less about verbal crap honestly, if we're on mumble, that's up to mumble. I'm used to playing on XBL so i'm pretty desensitized.

I just hate playing on servers where you're seeing server messages CONSTANTLY. I just want to play the game and have the server get the hell out of my way.

I'm not even opposed to allowing baserape, but if i had to pick a single enforceable rule, I guess that would be it. Pretty sure you can vote for team balance instead of enforcing it.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
lol, clever!

I'm for as few rules as possible. The less admining we have to do the better. Couldn't care less about verbal crap honestly, if we're on mumble, that's up to mumble. I'm used to playing on XBL so i'm pretty desensitized.

I just hate playing on servers where you're seeing server messages CONSTANTLY. I just want to play the game and have the server get the hell out of my way.

I'm not even opposed to allowing baserape, but if i had to pick a single enforceable rule, I guess that would be it. Pretty sure you can vote for team balance instead of enforcing it.

Baserape is probably the most contentious issue. Most servers in BC2 seem to enforce it, but I remember getting baseraped all the time in BF2. Generally speaking, if you are kicking the other teams ass so bad that they can't get out of their base, it is that teams fault. I'm just kind of worried that we'll have GAF on one team, and the public on the other team, and we'll just be raping them round after round.

If we have a vote and it turns out that no one wants base raping enforced as a rule, I won't cry though.

Team balancing should be built into the game, and not something we have to ever think about. Hopefully, anyway.

There are other things to think about, like how long someone should be allowed to AFK before getting the boot, and stuff like that. No one wants to be down a man because some jerk decided to go take a dump or eat a sandwich (both?) and left his team high and dry.

As for racial slurs, I don't foresee needing to add that as a rule unless it becomes a problem. I've heard enough racial slurs on XBL to not even get phased by it anymore as well. I'm hoping that DICE will have an option for players to mute one another in-game, so that this couldn't ever become an issue. Don't like how someone is talking to you? Mute them. Mute them fast and hard. If that option doesn't exist though, it would be an admin judgement call whether or not that 11 year old yelling racial slurs at the top of his lungs deserves the right to use in-game voice chat anymore.

Since mumble is a separate thing, any administration of that would be up to mumble's admins. I don't foresee any issues there (it never was for BC2, was it?).

punkypine said:
Gaf server, gaf style rules?
Voice chat can be a little more forgiving because of moments of anger, but the whole benefit of playing on a gaf server would be maturity

We'll have to let the public in if we want to keep a 64 player server filled consistently. It may be best to have them be aware that if they constantly scream over VOIP, we may mute them, and if they base rape we may ban them (if that rule is voted in) for a couple of days.

Hopefully maturity will win out, but...you never know.

I'd be all for going no rules and seeing how that goes, but anarchy usually doesn't work out. If that is what people vote for, that is what people vote for though.

Maybe this game will have voteban, and people can take care of assholes themselves. One can only hope (I don't think DICE has ever spoken on the topic).

gillFTR

Mr. Snrub said:
lol.gif

That's amazing.

As for rules, I'm fine with:

-No spawn camping
-No griefing/TK'ing (if we ever turn FF on)

For racial slurs and stuff like that, we don't have to make it a rule, but I will kick people for that shit. Think GAF in server form.

also no vehicle hogging if somebody is waiting for it let them have it. I hate on BF2 when im waiting for a jet and the dude who just died TK's me then takes it.

LordCanti

gillFTR said:
also no vehicle hogging if somebody is waiting for it let them have it. I hate on BF2 when im waiting for a jet and the dude who just died TK's me then takes it.

I'm not sure how we'd enforce a rule like that, especially since people can spawn into vehicles now (or is that just the jet?).

We can't force spawning either, because all configuration is done in game while dead usually (as well as switching loadouts, and stuff like that).

Does anyone really want TK'ing on?

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'd like FF to be on 24/7 personally.

Not sure how the BF community feels about that, though. It always seems to be off in BC2.

My question was answered as I asked it. I guess there is another thing to add to a poll.

Personally, I think FF does add to realism (people can't fire a tank shell into a crowd consisting of teammates + the enemy, and only kill the enemy for instance) but the potential for griefing is so high...

TKing if you're a twat/griefing should lead to a ban, but TKing is a danger of the battlefield and one that a skilled player should be able to avoid most of the time.

I only play CS/COD with FF on most of the time and it requires more skill/attention, so it's just something I like.

LordCanti

We should definitely take a vote via poll for this kind of thing, because I know all of us wouldn't agree.

Without TK on, the only things I could ever see myself banning someone for are douchebag moves like filling a cargo chopper with people and then flying it out of bounds on purpose and wrecking it (leaving everyone to die of "suicide"), and other stupid crap like that. Switch TK on though and things get a lot more complicated. Suddenly you have to figure out if that guy accidentally TK'd someone, or did it on purpose.

I mean, we could go TK limits (3 strikes in a round and you are out, or something) assuming the admin tools have support for that, but....mmm...

Let the voters decide, I say.

Menelaus

Banned
Vehicular warfare becomes downright no fun with TKs on. You can't fire into a group of desperate buddies to help them, you can't safely shell from a distance.

There's a reason DICE relegates it to hardcore by default.

Just one more unnecessary thing an admin has to worry about, IMO.

I've never played FF on in a BF game, so if it does ruin vehicle gameplay etc that's fine. I just like it on in other games :)

Also, donated my $10. I used my girlfriend's Paypal account this month, so it will be a different email address with my next and future donations, but I provided my username as I donated so yeah :)

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Also, I'm just imagining all of the FF road kills I'd have.

You'd hate me, and deservedly so.

That is one of the reasons I don't want it on. I shouldn't get penalized because some guy didn't look where he was going, and ran right out in front of my jeep/tank/ATV, etc.

I'm having terrible flashbacks of being TK'd on the aircraft carrier in BF2, for trying to take the jet.

TK'ing is for clan matches, IMO, where everyone is on the same page and you're looking for that little extra bit of realism.

Menelaus

Banned
Me and my buddy have a system on BC2 where we'll pick each other up on quads by ramming into the other and saying "PRESS B NOW!"

Wouldn't really translate =P

$207.25!!! Two months of GAF sexy server time!

I'm gonna play with some polls on the blog, just for fun for now. We'll probably get some formal polls going for some server decisions later on.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
$207.25!!! Two months of GAF sexy server time!

I'm gonna play with some polls on the blog, just for fun for now. We'll probably get some formal polls going for some server decisions later on.

Woo, BF3 GAF over Christmas confirmed.

On the subject of the site, are you going to resize/remake the banners, or did you want me to do that? I have no idea what font you've used to match BF3's font though. A poll could pretty easily be put over there on the side below or above the paypal button, using the built in poll gadget.

LordCanti said:
Woo, BF3 GAF over Christmas confirmed.

On the subject of the site, are you going to resize/remake the banners, or did you want me to do that? I have no idea what font you've used to match BF3's font though. A poll could pretty easily be put over there on the side below or above the paypal button, using the built in poll gadget.

I'm gonna take care of that tonight, sorry, been a hellish week. I actually used the NFL Chargers font
lol.gif

The actual BF3 font isn't free anywhere online, you have to buy it.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm gonna take care of that tonight, sorry, been a hellish week. I actually used the NFL Chargers font
lol.gif

The actual BF3 font isn't free anywhere online, you have to buy it.

People...pay for fonts? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Someone had to slave away at making them I suppose.

Top Bottom