• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

ToD_

Corky said:
For anyone who is remotely interested, made some some final adjustments/tweaks that I'm REALLY happy with considering past performance in alpha and beta. Did somekind of "gameplay" benchmark run, where I had inspector up and running ingame while fraps just had the counter up in the corner.

The logg is from a run on :

5 minutes of Damavand Peak large conquest, 64 players shooting everything to shit in the tunnels. Settings used : Everything max ultra/enabled except HBAO, MSAA and texture setting is high instead of ultra, @2560x1440.

Fraps only showed one dip below 60 and that was a tank blowing me up with tons of smoke.
Log shows 75% on each gpu and 90% vram usage, so there's headroom incase things get even worse.
http://i.imgur.com/lhCxl.png

In other words. MSAA kills performance/vram, HBAO kills performance for the slight effect added and having texture quality on ultra isn't feasible with only 1gb vram @ 2560

560 ti sli @ 980 mhz
2600k @ 4.5
Latest WHQL drivers
D3doverrider OFF, v-sync enabled ingame ( don't know if this was the cause of the stuttering, which is now thankfully absent )
By disabling HBAO do you mean putting it on SSAO or just turning off the effect entirely?

Hmm. Turned off HBAO and all of AA while also using Battlelog in Chrome instead of Firefox and I was able to play 2 full rounds without any freezes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ToD_ said:
By disabling HBAO do you mean putting it on SSAO or just turning off the effect entirely?

My bad, meant no ssao or hbao whatsoever.

goodfella

Do people really see SSAO/HBAO as only a slight effect?

It makes a huge difference to me. More than changing things from hight to ultra which to be perfectly honest I don't even notice apart from the draw distance of the shadows and objects.

Also, anyone finding that BF3 typically crashes while loading into a server when it has not been lauched for a while? Works on the second attempt so not a big deal.

goodfella said:
Do people really see SSAO/HBAO as only a slight effect?

It makes a huge difference to me. More than changing things from hight to ultra which to be perfectly honest I don't even notice apart from the draw distance of the shadows and objects.

Also, anyone finding that BF3 typically crashes while loading into a server when it has not been lauched for a while? Works on the second attempt so not a big deal.

SSAO/HBAO is always hugely noticeable, in my opinion. It adds so much depth.

Maaseru

Banned
So quick question I got the game, retail copy, but I just remember when I built my new PC my old dvd drives didn't work so while I'm waiting for the new BD drive, Can I download the game for free of Origin because I got the copy, what can I do?

syko de4d

Maaseru said:
So quick question I got the game, retail copy, but I just remember when I built my new PC my old dvd drives didn't work so while I'm waiting for the new BD drive, Can I download the game for free of Origin because I got the copy, what can I do?
mhh activate the cd key on origin

bizatch

Home said:
Same problem. Im using a GTX 260 with the newest drivers. Game is quite smooth otherwise. Just crashes within a few minutes of joining a MP server. :(

I even ran memtest and updated all my drivers. This is annoying as fuck. I have a gtx 270 btw.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LiquidMetal14 said:
2500k @4.5ghz
8GB RAM
6950->6970 2GB @950/1450mhz
Catalyst 11.10 preview 2

Everything maxed at a locked 60fps

Will take some caps in a bit.
I should not that it does drop to no lower than 50 in the first 3 sections of the game. It's been 60fps with VSYNC for about 90% of the time I don't expect to hit a wall really but the bigger more open areas should tax me more. I'm very please with how it looks and performs.

bf32011-10-2518-15-15-ufcd.png

bf32011-10-2518-17-46-6c9n.png

bf32011-10-2518-23-18-5ftp.png

ss_lemonade

LiquidMetal14 said:
I should not that it does drop to no lower than 50 in the first 3 sections of the game. It's been 60fps with VSYNC for about 90% of the time I don't expect to hit a wall really but the bigger more open areas should tax me more. I'm very please with how it looks and performs.
Pretty much the same rig as me. What res are you running at?

alterno69

Banned
So i have an iMac with these specs

Intel Core i5 quad-core de 2.7 GHz
resolución de 2560 x 1440 píxeles
4 GB (dos de 2 GB) de memoria
Disco duro de 1 TB1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M con 512 MB

Is it worth it to install windows and get this game or should i get it on consoles instead, considering my specs. Will it run much better than on the 360 or PS3 with those specs? If the difference is not too big i'd get it on a console instead.

Arcipello

I seem to have fixed my crash issues by simply lowering my GDP card core clock speed a tiny bit.... Been playing all night long with no issues at all :) cheers to those who helped:)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
BigJiantRobut said:
SSAO/HBAO is always hugely noticeable, in my opinion. It adds so much depth.

So is there a major, noticeable difference between SSAO and HBAO? Is it worth the performance gain/loss?

Actually, could someone post a brief overview of all the game's settings? Which settings are useless? Which ones should you try to maintain? Etc.

Texture Quality
Shadow Quality
Effects Quality
Mesh Quality
Terrain Quality
Terrain Decoration
Antialiasing Deferred
Antialiasing Post
Motion Blur
Anisotropic Filter
Ambient Occulsion

Those are the various options.

So, for example, motion blur on or off? AF at 16X or lower? SSAO vs. HBAO? Antialiasing Post at Medium or High? And so on.

wtf.....Game is beautiful but I am having one problem...Whenever I move my mouse the game shakes...like, it's shaky as fuck....hard to explain but it's like the camera shakes like crazy.

If i just move without moving the mouse at all, it's super smooth, but as Soon as I start moving the mouse the screen is shaky and it is kind of dizzying/confusing.

Sanic

MrOogieBoogie said:
So is there a major, noticeable difference between SSAO and HBAO? Is it worth the performance gain/loss?

etc.

I would love to know specifics on this as well. This is the first game that my rig has really struggled with (gtx 460, amd quad core) at 1080p and it's driving me crazy. I've been so used to pretty much a locked 60+ fps in most games that it's rather distracting jumping between 30-60 constantly. Might have to look into overclocking or something.

edit: is there a command or way to cap the framerate at 30? I may prefer that over constant fluctuation.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
wtf.....Game is beautiful but I am having one problem...Whenever I move my mouse the game shakes...like, it's shaky as fuck....hard to explain but it's like the camera shakes like crazy.

If i just move without moving the mouse at all, it's super smooth, but as Soon as I start moving the mouse the screen is shaky and it is kind of dizzying/confusing.

in regards to this...

Im running i5 core

GTX 560 ti

8 gigs of ram

There's a workaround to enable 3D vision here. The shadows aren't quiet aligned right, similar to The Witcher 2 before they fixed it. It's probably why they didn't release with 3D support right away despite being a 3D vision ready title. The depth does feel spot on though. As with all games, having 3D on will almost half the frame rate.

taoofjord

Anyone else finding that the mouse look movement is a little jerky/skips around? I'm not talking about lag, stuttering, or frame rate drops... I'm talking about this only happening while looking around. It's really odd and I've never seen it before. It's almost like my mouse isn't picking up the desk correctly as it scrolls around... but it is because it works fine in Windows and every other game.

Home

I've been reading that Punkbuster is related to the issues with PC freezing issues. I've tried to find a server without punkbuster enabled but they are few and far between at this point. I've fucking hated PB ever since Wolfenstein ET and wish companies would stop using it.

MrOogieBoogie said:

Actually, could someone post a brief overview of all the game's settings? Which settings are useless? Which ones should you try to maintain? Etc.

Texture Quality
Shadow Quality
Effects Quality
Mesh Quality
Terrain Quality
Terrain Decoration
Antialiasing Deferred
Antialiasing Post
Motion Blur
Anisotropic Filter
Ambient Occulsion

Those are the various options.

So, for example, motion blur on or off? AF at 16X or lower? SSAO vs. HBAO? Antialiasing Post at Medium or High? And so on.
I can notice the difference. HBAO does look better, but you forget about it once you turn it off. I have mine set to SSAO. I'm interested to see what responses you get though.

my 6870 can run everything maxed but not at a steady 60. I hit 60 at times but that's it. I'd happy max it out and just cap the frame rate at 30 if I could.

nitric0

Everything maxed out with VSYNC on I get around 30-40 FPS
945 @ 4.0GHz
8GB RAM
HD6870

Everything on High with 16xAF, 2xMSAA, HBAO and vsync on I get 40-60 FPS.

Resolution: 1680x1050

This is all from the MP fyi, conquest 64 players

nitric0 said:
Everything maxed out with VSYNC on I get around 30-40 FPS
945 @ 4.0GHz
8GB RAM
HD6870

Everything on High with 16xAF, 2xMSAA, HBAO and vsync on I get 40-60 FPS.

Resolution: 1680x1050

This is all from the MP fyi, conquest 64 players
I'm running a 965 with 4GB of RAM and the HD6870. Do you not find the fluctuation in the frame rate to be very distracting?

Edit: I'm on 1080

Whelp, tried everything in the thread to stop the mouse stutter/shakyness and no luck. So basically i spent 60 bucks on a game thats unplayable unless I wanna give myself a headache.

this is fucking dumb.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Whelp, tried everything in the thread to stop the mouse stutter/shakyness and no luck. So basically i spent 60 bucks on a game thats unplayable unless I wanna give myself a headache.

this is fucking dumb.
Wireless mouse? My buddy was at my house earlier and he said his wireless mouse was a mess compared to my wired one.

Getting a lot of lag in the servers, also seem to be getting some type of stuttering and shit. Everything is playing like ass.

On a 560ti, 4GB, i5 750.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fixed2BeBroken said:

this is fucking dumb.
What type of mouse is it? What are all of the things that you tried?

SapientWolf said:
What type of mouse is it? What are all of the things that you tried?

wired mouse. I tried everything that was in this thread involving nvidia beta drivers, turning off features...etc.

I keep installing the x64 drivers cause I have windows 7 64bit.

but BF3 installed in the (x86) section, so should I be installing 32bit drivers?

Nafai1123

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:

this is fucking dumb.

Have you tried installing drivers for your mouse? A friend of mine was having similar problems during the beta and new drivers fixed it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fixed2BeBroken said:
wired mouse. I tried everything that was in this thread involving nvidia beta drivers, turning off features...etc.

I keep installing the x64 drivers cause I have windows 7 64bit.

but BF3 installed in the (x86) section, so should I be installing 32bit drivers?
I would try a gamepad at high sensitivity settings to rule out instability in how the engine runs. Then try a different mouse and a different port to rule out hardware issues. Unplug all your other USB devices and try that to test for conflicts on the bus.

Can someone help me, this is a mess.

So wiped clean everything Ati from my PC, installed 11.10v3, installed no caps for my Crossfire and now the game STILL only uses 1 GPU and i get no menus/hud/nothing, just the game screen, WTF! HEEEELP

Specs = 2600k
GPU = 2 * 6950 2GB
HDD = Vertex 3 SATA 3 120GB
Ram = 8 GB

jaaz

Looks like I'm not the only one that's having this stuttering issue. GTX 590 on an i7-2600k@4 ghz. I don't know if its micro-stuttering or mouse stuttering or what, but it's definitely there and driving me crazy. It happens even at 60+ FPS. Did not happen during beta. Running latest Nvidia drivers (released yesterday).

There's a 10+ page thread on the Battlelog forums already with people having the same issue.

RS4-

Damn, now I'm getting some green screen that flashes for a frame here and there.

I'll probably update my drivers as the ones I have were from RAGE.

jaaz said:
Looks like I'm not the only one that's having this stuttering issue. GTX 590 on an i7-2600k@4 ghz. I don't know if its micro-stuttering or mouse stuttering or what, but it's definitely there and driving me crazy. It happens even at 60+ FPS. Did not happen during beta. Running latest Nvidia drivers (released yesterday).

Yea, I didn't have a problem in battlefield 3 beta either....this is wierd.

let me ask you something....when you aren't moving ur mouse at all, and just moving forward with W....is it stuttering or is it super smooth?

SapientWolf said:
I would try a gamepad at high sensitivity settings to rule out instability in how the engine runs. Then try a different mouse and a different port to rule out hardware issues. Unplug all your other USB devices and try that to test for conflicts on the bus.

Did everything except use a controller.....still no dice. Im gonna try with a ps3 controller now. I don't own a wired 360 one.

Gritesh

Would be nice to play the game I payed for.

Installed the game via origin, it runs battlelog, but when I click on Campaign, it says install the game first.

Then in game manager it says "waiting for you to finish installation".

At this time it also takes me to the Battlefield 3 store page on origin.

I'm pissed 3 hours and I can't get into a game or anything yet...

REV 09

Menelaus said:
Those benches in the OP are so shitty. No one with a 460 is interested in performance on Ultra (because it just ain't happening).

What's more important is how it runs on High!
I run ultra on a 460 at around 50fps average. 1440x900 though.

vehn

Anyone know why my gtx570 would would 60 FPS in Ultra but at times go down to 5 FPS for a few seconds? It happens every few minutes it seems. I got the latest drivers and everything, and just got this card yesterday but I can't seem to fix this problem

vehn said:
Anyone know why my gtx570 would would 60 FPS in Ultra but at times go down to 5 FPS for a few seconds? It happens every few minutes it seems. I got the latest drivers and everything, and just got this card yesterday but I can't seem to fix this problem
This is stuff I am getting a well. Trying the beta drivers now.

rabhw

Just posting to confirm that uninstalling the 11.9 CAP3 that was specifically meant to improve performance but ended FUCKING EVERYTHING UP, fixed my stuttering issue. Much smoother now and locked at 60fps.

AMD users uninstall that awful CAP. Does AMD test ANYTHING? Seriously, worst fucking company in the world. I'd rather have LESS driver support if it meant they actually tested stuff before certifying it or saying it will do one thing and it does the total opposite.

Top Bottom